Another camper/truck matching question

wirenut

Adventurer
Most any of the new SRW 3500 trucks can handle that camper fine. If you don't want a dually and can afford a new truck that's what I'd get. If you are buying a truck more than about 3 or 4 years old the SRW capacity will be much lower. I had an '07 Chevy 3500 SRW, it was a reg cab with almost no options and it only had a 3,100 pound payload. However, I loaded up about 4,400 pounds of camper on it with air bags and drove many happy miles. I wasn't over axle or tire weights.
If you want an older truck I think I'd get a dually or plan on spending lots of money in air bags, 19.5 wheels and tires, etc. on a SRW.
If it matters, I drive an '05 CC dually just about every day. I have for over 8 years. It's no big deal. I go thru bank and restaurant drive thrus regularly. It's tight but it does fit. I actually find the length of a CC with a 8.5' flatbed more of a problem than the width.

caddis

The plot thickens...

We are nearly settled (still working out final negotiations) on the NL 10.2 CD SE. Dry weight of 2980 lbs. A conservative, through in everything and guess high on food and beer, estimate loaded is about 4300 lbs. A more reasonable, what we would typically carry on a typical trip, estimate is 3950 lbs. I drove both a Chevy and a Ram yesterday and checked the actual load stickers on the specific trucks I was looking at -- Chevy max payload is 3940 and the Ram was 4460 (both SRW, we've all but ruled out a dually at this point). This would seem to push me to the Ram over the Chevy, but the difficulty is that I like the Chevy a bit better (I can get leather without moving too far up the model line, prefer the less agro styling, family has a bit of GM history) and with the new body style due in the next few months, I think I can get a significantly better deal. So, the question for all you weight watchers out there is...can I 'get away' with the Chevy. If they both were rated around 4400lbs it would be a done deal, but I've read so much over the past few months about weights, etc. that I've grown (perhaps a bit too much) very sensitive to getting it just right. I don't want to stress about it or cut my kids off from dessert for fear that they'll get too heavy :Wow1:

I am open to a few mods if necessary. I still need to read up on the plusses and minuses of shock upgrades, airbags, sway bars, 19.5s + bigger tires, etc....but, and correct me if I'm wrong, none of those things change the official payload rating of the truck. It's less clear to me if they change the actual, on the ground, safety minded, payload.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...I appreciate having a group of like-minded and informed folks to consult with :)

BillTex

Adventurer
The NL's are beautiful...and one of the lightest. Stop worrying...you will be fine. You need to be within axle ratings to keep it safe...if you are looking at 1 tonners (without seeing your actual #'s posted) you should be well within both axle ratings.
A lot of us run way heavier than that, stay within axle/tire ratings=all set.

If 2980 is the dry weight...I doubt you'll be running at 4300...that's a LOT of stuff! My best "guess" with the NL is you will be under 4000#...easy.

BTW; no mods will change the payload. They may change how the truck handles the weight...

(I'll vote for the cheby...)

Bill

Last edited:

caddis

(I'll vote for the cheby...)

Now that's an idea...maybe I should just take a poll...that's likely to be more effective than talking with a salesperson ;-)

Thanks for the advice Bill...and you may be right that I'm getting a bit too caught up in one particular number. Thanks too for confirming my understanding about GVW, payload and mods.

incognito

Adventurer
Hy again,

some facts :
I I had to do it again with all I know now I would go with a Ram 4500 cab-chassis without the box and fiberglass or aluminium service box(around 600 lbs). Or a aluminium flat-bed with some compartments. one of the big problem with the truck campers is the lack of storage compartments ( outside). So when I leave for a big tour I need fishings rods, wood , folding table and chairs kids toys, tools, recovery equipment, 12v compressor, etc. if you want good expedition vehicle you need more storage.With the Bigfoot and the service box I think I have an excellent expedition vehicle better than anything that I could have bought. Or buy a 3500 crew cab and take out rear chairs and use that space for storage. The only downside is any camper over 2200 lbs is too big for my GVWR because of the steel service box( 1100Lbs)

I know people who did ouest est coast with 3500 SRW with a Bigfoot 3000 with a slide out which is around 5000lbs an did well, the only mods where Rite -Ride 5000 lbs airbags in the rear. The problem starts when you leave the hard pavement and go off-road in sand and mud or slippery situations DRw will do better because will sink less (better weight repartition) and it has lot more rear traction . But if you plan only dry backroads the SRW should be fine even there are some reports on this site F350 with a truck camper with a lot of sway on uneven backcountry roads.

My opinion is that SRW can do well off-road with a pop-up like Alaskan or other lite pop-up or a NL 9.6 lite ( I had one is so lite 1700lbs my dodge didn<t even knew it was there) or anything which is less than 2000 lbs.Again it depends of the degree of off-roading you want to do. lots of weight up on the suspension, srw and offroading does<t go very well together.
hope this helps
incognito

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5857.JPG
    IMG_5857.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 210

rotti

Adventurer
Just checked the GM site and the max payload for a 3500 long box crew with the 6.0 was 4,266 pounds.

caddis

Just checked the GM site and the max payload for a 3500 long box crew with the 6.0 was 4,266 pounds.

That's the spec for the 2WD. I should have mentioned that I'm getting the 4x4, in which case the spec is 4143...but the sticker on the exact truck I was looking at was 3940 or something like that. I doubt that there was 200lbs of extra equipment, but I suppose it's possible.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Identical trucks will often have different ratings on the sticker, based solely on the tires they were shipped with.

Last edited:

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Caddis, I have a Bigfoot truck camper on a 2005 F350 DRW diesel and have been happy to have the DRW. I get 12 to 14 MPG when the camper is fully loaded. I added the Stable-Loads, which engage the springs early and reduce sway and bounce. I know Ford offers a "camper-package" on some of their trucks, something you may want to look into. The Bigfoot is very well made, I have really no complaints! There are pics of the truck w camper on my blog,
www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com
I am glad to answer any questions you have! Best of luck!
-AK

caddis

Just thought I'd update you all and thank you again for your insights....

We are now the proud owners of a Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE...we had to settle for our third choice of interior color, but that can be worked on with a little upholstery work.

The truck search is also narrowing considerably and if I my dealer can find just the right truck for me tomorrow, it might just be done (especially if the end-of-the-month craziness is all they claim it to be). A few final details to be determined, most of which will come from the stock we can find. The choice is a Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box SRW - payload capacity of 4400lbs on the door sticker should be just about right (in most applications it will be a couple of hundred pounds under). We're quite excited and are planning to post pics from our first adventures once we get on the road!

liftedlimo

Adventurer
Not a bad choice if I do say so myself. You will love it. Mine tows my 10k loaded bumper pull toyhauler like it wasn't there at 75 plus all day long. Empty im getting 21 mpg so far freeway driving. Good luck happy camping!

ymy7u3ev.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles