Stainless steel folding / briefcase charcoal grill on Woot - $19.99

psykokid

Explorer
Nice find! Thanks for the link. I was looking at getting one of these to go with my Flatfire folding charcoal chimney. Should make a nice solution for having a bbq while out camping or even a small campfire at night while taking up minimal space.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ok, so I had one of these and actually grilled a lot on it for a short while (about 6 months). Then all of a sudden the grill part started bowing, and wouldn't stay put when in use, and though it wasn't sitting in the weather per se (under a covered patio, out of the rain/sun, etc) it started to rust and corrode like crazy...

Pretty dissapointing.

Mine was similar to the one in the link, with a few differences. It started out as a nice, black powercoat on the sheetmetal parts.
The grill itself has a shiny (maybe that part was stainless) surface

Not a lot of money, but then again $20-30.00 'aint nothin' either...

Last edited:

trailscape

Explorer
Seen a lot of mixed reviews on these and I think there are better options for not much more.

http://amzn.com/B00DNTXCMI
618jQDAGbOL._SL1500_.jpg

Or an Esbit portable BBQ. I use this one myself and love it. But, they usually run about 65 bucks.

java

Expedition Leader
Ive been looking for a small portable fire pit, Ordered one to give it a try.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Ive been looking for a small portable fire pit, Ordered one to give it a try.

Hope you get better results with this version than I did with mine. The heat from the logs burning inside actually deformed the sheetmetal...

Hate to be a party-pooper, but I was SUPER-excited when I picked up mine and IMO, it fell flat on it's face.

Like I said, maybe the stainless version is more durable. Please post up your thoughts when you get yours, if you're so inclined.

java

Expedition Leader
Hope you get better results with this version than I did with mine. The heat from the logs burning inside actually deformed the sheetmetal...

Hate to be a party-pooper, but I was SUPER-excited when I picked up mine and IMO, it fell flat on it's face.

Like I said, maybe the stainless version is more durable. Please post up your thoughts when you get yours, if you're so inclined.

Yeah hoping the stainless is better.... At $30 its not a huge loss either way. But Im hoping it works well.

But I dont doubt that thin sheet metal deforms easily..... We will See.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
The heat from the logs burning inside actually deformed the sheetmetal...

I have the stainless version pictured and it seems to hold up fine when used with charcoal which it was designed for. It wasn't meant to burn logs in. I replaced any nuts & screws with pop rivets.

java

Expedition Leader
I have the stainless version pictured and it seems to hold up fine when used with charcoal which it was designed for. It wasn't meant to burn logs in. I replaced any nuts & screws with pop rivets.

Thats good to hear. I want to use it as a fire pit. I understand its not the designed use, so I wont be too bummed if it doesnt work out long term.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

Well that's good to hear, and great idea with the rivets. Did that modification add a measure of sturdiness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior