As long as we are talking iPad Alternatives... Kindle Fire?

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
So I've been looking at the 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX. The 4G version has a GPS sensor. It runs Fire OS 3.0 "Mojito". Is this an Android spin off or a truly proprietary OS? In the Amazon App Store there are many Android navigation apps. But they are all for Android devices.

So has anyone been a first adopter and tried using a Kindle Fire for Expedition type travel?

reece146

Automotive Artist
The Amazon devices seem to have a decent hardware spec but the limited access to software is troublesome.

That said, if you can get the software you want installed on a Fire then it is just a valid machine as any out there.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The fire is a half cooked version of android. You can buy the fire, it has good hardware spec. Then goto XDA and root and load a full version of android and run any android app you like. very nice. Even the cheap pro scan tablets are a better alternative to the tied down expensive yuppie apple hardware. I went that route for about 6 months, I drank the apple flavored kool aid and bought everything, mini with 27" cinema monitor, MacBook pro, iPhone, ipad etc. Played with it for about 2 months, it sat for 4 months and I took a huge loss. So much for apples great resale value. I am back with an all windows ecosystem for 1/4 of the price, better performance, cheaper programs that run just as good if not better and as far as im concerned easier to use as well.

That said, I am running an android tablet for my navigation in my jeep as I had it sitting around and its a dedicated unit for my jeep now. It works fantastic and it was inexpensive. WIN WIN. No extra hardware to buy to make it into a full GPS unlike apple, free apps available to do the work if needed and no pretentious apple logo.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have the Kindle Fire 7 as a dedicated rig tablet. I had to hack it (XDA has all the info), but now it works great and runs the regular Play store apps including BCN, Torque, etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier