so school me on xterras

the59sound

Observer
I've been lurking over here for a while and have fallen in love with some of the xterras around here. I have an 07 2 door wrangler and love it, but recently I have been looking at older grand Cherokees to make a camping rig but I keep finding myself looking on this side haha.

so tell me what do I need to look for as far as year range, trim options, etc

I know in 05 they had the body style change and those look amazing and my dad has an 07 frontier and I LOVE that thing but I want to know as much as I can

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
The big thing to watch for on the second gen model is the radiator problems. The early autos had what's known as the strawberry milkshake of death because the radiator would fail. If you do the transmission cooler bypass its a cheap and easy fix.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have a first gen and love it. Very reliable and quite capable.

What is your budget?

If you have enough the second gen (05+) has more power and better gas mileage and can be had with a rear locker. The second gens can fit 33s stock. They also have a larger aftermarket.

Nothing wrong with the first gen either.

If we have your budget we can narrow down what you need

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have a first gen and love it. Very reliable and quite capable.

What is your budget?

If you have enough the second gen (05+) has more power and better gas mileage and can be had with a rear locker. The second gens can fit 33s stock. They also have a larger aftermarket.

Nothing wrong with the first gen either.

If we have your budget we can narrow down what you need

What he and SpongeX said. Second gens have the radiator issues, but it is a cheap and easy fix. What you get is much more power, more storage space, and a nicer interior. The first gens have the advantage of being smaller and lighter, which is better on trails but can be a pain if you need more room. Not that they're that short on room in the first place, but they are smaller than the second gen. You can get a first gen X with a factory supercharger (SC trim) which can help with the power deficit. The second gen can be had with a factory locker (Off Road or Pro-4x trim). Both have a really big aftermarket, but I think the second gen's is slightly bigger.

To be honest, it comes down to budget. Trying to decide which is like splitting hairs. Both are really tough, reliable, good looking, and rugged. Like I said, it comes down to budget. If you can afford the newer trucks, there's no reason not to go that direction. If you want to keep costs down, the first gen is a great choice. No matter which way you go, you will get a solid and fun vehicle. They offer Toyota's reliability without the Toyota price. I also think they have more style.

As for what to look for and their quirks...

The second gen has the SMOD (strawberry milkshake o' death), which happens when the trans cooler pipe in the radiator bursts and mixes tranny fluid with the coolant. This will cause the transmission to fail, which is very expensive! If it hasn't happened, it is very simple and very cheap to avoid by doing the bypass mod. The manual versions don't have this problem.

The first gen is an interference engine and needs to have the timing belt replaced every 100k or so. Not all that expensive or difficult to do, depending on your mechanical aptitude. They also have some issues with the knock sensor going bonkers on them. The SC versions usually crap a supercharger along the same schedule as timing belts.

And that's about it. Beyond that, they are immensely reliable and fun trucks.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I have both generations and for camping I would choose an 05 or newer. My first gen is a supercharged model and it's mpgs are much lower than my second gen.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Points on the Gen2 Xterra

• You can fit 33" tires on them with only a melt mod
  • A minor lift (very good for the trails) can be accomplished with spacers and shackles for about $200
  • The OR versions come with a rear locker - and a better rear axle
  • It's relatively easy to install a 2nd battery in the engine compartment.
  • Plenty of spaces for additional switches if you wire up extra lights
  • I'm a bit over 113K miles on my original clutch. Not sure my experience is normal.
  • There are a few very good spots for advice out there. thenewx.org, xterranation, and this place
  • I would buy another in a heartbeat. But as long as mine is repairable, I'll wait and buy my 370Z convertible.

the59sound

Observer
thanks for all the advice everyone. as far as budget i'm looking in the 4000 range. I know that's not much however that's the price range for some first gen grands, but after reading this I may wait for a while and get a second gen xterra. they are around 6500-10,000.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
I love my second gen. I have wheeled with first gens, and they are capable as well, just without the same comfort level. The first gens are geared much lower to make up for the power deficit, and it seems to work off road. On road, the first gens are dogs. As said above, it all comes down to budget, if it were me, I would save up for a second gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slicky72

Adventurer
Happy 1st gen owner here , not as bad as people say for power. The drive train is more robust than the second gen which is notorious for grenading front differentials when abused. You would be happy with either but your dollar is going to go a lot further if you buy a 1st gen.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Happy 1st gen owner here , not as bad as people say for power. The drive train is more robust than the second gen which is notorious for grenading front differentials when abused. You would be happy with either but your dollar is going to go a lot further if you buy a 1st gen.

I agree, can't be happier with mine. The gearing helps a lot with the power and it doesn't bother me.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Check out www.xterranation.org or www.thenewx.org for a wider range of info but here are some basics.

I have owned 2 Gen 1 Xterras and a Gen 2 Xterra.

Gen 1: Is more truck like in all aspects. 3.3 Motor is 160-220 HPs, has a true manual transfer case, Simple and to the point.
I would stay away from the Supercharger. Has knock sensor issues.. Doesn't allow you to get the benefits of owning the SC.
You can add larger tires up to 32" with no issues.. You can lift 1.5" with cranking the torsion bars and adding rear shackles.
Once you add 33" tires you will start to feel the power loss but this is true with both versions, re-gears may be needed. The Gen2 has a larger engine to help this a touch. Has a pretty good offering of aftermarket support. You will not see this like your current Jeep though.
Price is pretty sweet for a 2000-2004 Xterra 3k-8k depending on your area. Has a few issues... Cracked exhaust manifolds are typical..
Headers fix this issue nicely. Has a timing belt that needs changed every 105k, Alternator is low on the motor.. 2000-2001 has 3 leaf springs and a overload, 2002-2004 has 2 leafs and a overload.
Offered in both AT and MT. Leather was an option but seems to be a hard find. If you are looking for a SUV you can beat up a little and not worry about it then I would head this way. Shares parts with 1998-2004 Frontier Motor was a common add in many of Nissans of the late 90s and early 2000s

Gen 2: 2005-2008 Mild front grill change 2009-2014 4.0 V6 - 261 HP
Slightly larger and much more comfort on the inside.. Basically what you would expect in the next version of the Xterra. Not as simple to lift.
Does have known radiator/ Tranny issues in the AT. The tranny radiator inside the Main radiator seems to crack near the 100k mark.
2005-2009 ran a different tranny fluid that was thought to cause a crack in the lines and allow coolant to mix with the tranny fluid and killing the
AT. Simple by pass can fix this issue.. Or you are starting to see better radiators on the market. Known timing chain issues, Shares the Titan F platform..
Off Road/ Pro4x offers a rear electric locker. More and more aftermarket is being offered. Larger tires can be added before re-gearing is needed.
2005 has known weaker spider gear issues. 4.0 V6 is common with the 2005-2014 Frontier
Price: 6k-30k depending on area.

Those are a few basics..
Check out the forums and see what others have done with them..
XP is a nice spot to glance but you will learn much more on the other forums..

Happy hunting
drb

Allof75

Pathfinder
What everyone else has said... 1st gen is simpler, cheaper, (and slower). 2nd gen is larger, more capable, and more expensive.

You could always look at a pathfinder.... :) (come to the dark side)

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
I don't think I'd say a 2nd gen is more capable. My wife goes everywhere I do in hers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne