Adding Leafs vs Shackles, Ford Superduty

brp

Observer
I might need to lift the front of my 2002 F450 2-3" to clear some tires. A bunch of companies make lifts like this, often called, "leveling kits," as the front of the of most SuperDuty trucks sit a little bit low.

Anyway, there are lifts that add a small leaf spring pack between the bottom of the stock spring pack and the axle, and there are lifts that use larger/taller shackles to achieve the lift.

I'm looking for advice as to which of the methods is preferable. I want to keep things as close to stock as possible, simple and reliable. A little added articulation would be nice though.

Here are some links to Icon's products:

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...f250-f350-superduty-3-lift-hanger-system.html

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...3-ford-superduty-2-lift-mini-spring-pack.html

Thanks

XRrider

Observer
I too have been looking at SuperDuty leveling kits. I have '01 F350 thats in need of a couple inches growth up front. I've seen those supposed spring packs to me they look like nothing much more than adding a block between the axle and spring like you'd lift the rear. I imagine they ride rough compared to stock because of the top "spring" in the lift pack eliminating some of the flexibility of the stock spring above it.
I've also seen longer shackles just on the rear spring mount to bring ride height up, to me that would seem to change pinion angle and caster negatively affecting drive shaft angle at the front u-joint and steering geometry would be chopper like.
When it does happen for my truck I plan on using a shackle lift that drops the front and rear mounting points of the stock spring pack. That being said I've never personally talked to any one who's used any of the above lifts.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I did my research and had custom leaves built by Atlas. Icon does extensive engineering on everything they produce, you won't go wrong with one of their kits.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Levelling kits have UPS and downs.

There are 3 basic leaf sprung leveling kits

Hanger kit
This lowers the spring mounts front and rear. Stock springs are used so stock ride.
More force applied to frame and mounting in my opinion not enough to be concerned but worth mentioning.

Mini pack
Ride is fairly stock similar to a block but much safer.

Shackles
Longer shackles on the rear of the front springs. This changes steering geometry and pinion angle.

I prefer mini pack or hanger.

Up
Cost inexpensive way to gain a few inches to run a little bigger tier.

Down
more force applied springs often wear eairly.

Springs are the best but not always an option.

brp

Observer
Ok guys, I've been way over thinking this, but..... If the purpose of lifting a vehicle is to clear tires, you have not done any good UNLESS you add bump stop spacers. Am I right?

Icon makes a 3" hanger + shackle kit that comes with a 1" bump stop spacer. Bottom line is that if I bottom out, and that is the scenario I am trying to address, this kit is getting me 1" of additional clearance. Icon's 4.5" hanger + shackle kit also comes with a 1" bump stop spacer....I'd be no better off??

Could I get the 3" hanger kit, build a 3" bump stop spacer, and have gained 2" more total clearance then the 4.5" kit?

I realize I would be contributing no suspension up-travel in this scenario, but I would gain some down travel, save money, adhere to KISS, and most importantly keep the overall height of the truck as low as possible.

Thanks

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
If I get what you are saying, You need additional clearance between the tires and fenders at full bump? Determine how much additional clearance you need and extend the bumpstop that amount. You also need to lift the suspension at least the same amount if not more to preserve up-travel; otherwise you will be riding on the bumpstops. Theoretically, a 3" bumpstop extension plus a 3" shackle lift will put you close to stock wheel travel; the front will just be higher. Remember that lifting the front can effect your steering linkage, caster angle and pinion angle depending on your suspension design.

78Bronco

Explorer
You will also need to consider other things like shock travel, brake line length, steering linkage, pinion angle, caster, etc. not as easy as just slapping on some taller springs.

98dango

Expedition Leader
You can go 4" with stock steering. 35" fit on a leveld superduty if you don't get crazy with wheels. You don't always have to drop bump stops. To do this corectly you need to flex it.out and see.what needs done.

brp

Observer
I am aware about steering, shocks, brakes, etc. and I am trusting that Icon has addressed these concerns in their designs. They do require longer shocks and suggest an adjustable track bar, but all other systems can remain stock for the2", 3" and 4" stuff I am looking at.

I've got a 7 foot piece of 2x2, 3/16 wall steel tube hanging from the leaf spring by a 10,000lb strap at each front leaf spring end. Scissor jack, upside down, with a custom bracket that fits over the 2x2 steel. The base of the jack is against the underside of the axle, between the U-bolts.

I'll post a picture later.

Anyway, this will allow me to compress the suspension in a very controlled way and throw 2x4 chunks in to simulate different bump stop configurations while moving the steering lock-to-lock

I hope to get to this tomorrow and will let you guys know what I find.

Thanks for the help to this point, keep it coming.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am aware about steering, shocks, brakes, etc. and I am trusting that Icon has addressed these concerns in their designs. They do require longer shocks and suggest an adjustable track bar, but all other systems can remain stock for the2", 3" and 4" stuff I am looking at.

I've got a 7 foot piece of 2x2, 3/16 wall steel tube hanging from the leaf spring by a 10,000lb strap at each front leaf spring end. Scissor jack, upside down, with a custom bracket that fits over the 2x2 steel. The base of the jack is against the underside of the axle, between the U-bolts.

I'll post a picture later.

Anyway, this will allow me to compress the suspension in a very controlled way and throw 2x4 chunks in to simulate different bump stop configurations while moving the steering lock-to-lock

I hope to get to this tomorrow and will let you guys know what I find.

Thanks for the help to this point, keep it coming.

Sounds like you are doing it right!

brp

Observer
It looks like the 3" kit will be enough. I might wish I had 4.5", but I am really working hard to keep this thing low and I think I can preserve all of my up travel with a 3" kit.

The question now is if the kit advertised for 250's and 350's will fit? Anybody know? The one suspension shop I called so far said they could not guarantee it would fit. That being said, all three trucks have, except a few early 250's, the same axle and the same sized leaf springs (available in stiffer configurations for snowplow)

Thanks

Raul B

Explorer
It looks like the 3" kit will be enough. I might wish I had 4.5", but I am really working hard to keep this thing low and I think I can preserve all of my up travel with a 3" kit.

The question now is if the kit advertised for 250's and 350's will fit? Anybody know? The one suspension shop I called so far said they could not guarantee it would fit. That being said, all three trucks have, except a few early 250's, the same axle and the same sized leaf springs (available in stiffer configurations for snowplow)

Thanks

i have never installed one of those kits before but i dont see how it is any different... my excursion had a 10" DR (now Icon) lift kit on it that was for a superduty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles