Trailer build thread consolidated

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
These look better now ....strong enough ?

DSC_2047.jpg

DSC_2046.jpg

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
UK4X4 said:
These look better now ....strong enough ?

DSC_2047.jpg

DSC_2046.jpg

Looking very good. I would consider adding gussets from each trailing arm bar to the axle tube. Just to add more area to absorb the stresses that the joints from the tube to the arms will see.

I hope that made sense. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Mike

Ireland

Adventurer
Nice that you jumped into making the custom suspension, and it looks great to boot:)
I will be very interested to see how well it performs for you, keep up the great work.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Mounted up.

still some webs and supports to do.

Airbag support on the axle is fixed in three places, the lower needs webs, which I'll do when I turn the frame over again.

For those of you who may be concidering this suspension route.............................................................................................................it is very time consuming.........

From turning the frame over to this point, has taken 20hrs......including beer time.

If I had gone standard leaf spring it would have taken 3 hrs max.

I expect that it will take me another night to mount the other side, 3 hrs, then turn over and add the webs to the upper spring mounts another 2hrs
Source, buy and fit shock mounts, another 4 hrs

around 30 hrs of time, plus materials...........I think the M type trailer kit from AT is well worth the money.

I am however pleased with my results, and think it looks very balanced if you look at the rim in place and the airbag placement.

DSC_2048.jpg

DSC_2049.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Second the gussets comment.

I am concerned that they are still a parallelogram, needs some diagonal bracing or boxing-in.

Another trick that would work well here for both strength and piece of mind would be to take some strap of about the tube wall thickness, radius or point the ends (NOT square ended), and wrap it from one side of the box tube around the back of the axle and up the opposite side of the box tube. I would do it at both long box tubes though the outer one will see the tensile loading.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cool build up!

UK4X4 said:
Kitchen side door

DSC_1865.jpg

Very cool build up. I was wondering if you are using any type of sealer between your aluminium checker plate and the steel frame? I'm getting ready to build a steel frame then cover it with checker plate aluminium and plan on using automotive type seam sealer.
Cheers,
P

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I used 3M industrial gap fill adhesive, as it never completely goes off and is cheap.

Silkoflex etc is way better if your doing 12 ft long panels as it stays really stretchy.

For my short sheets this will do for $2 a tube.

"Another trick that would work well here for both strength and piece of mind would be to take some strap of about the tube wall thickness, radius or point the ends (NOT square ended), and wrap it from one side of the box tube around the back of the axle and up the opposite side of the box tube. I would do it at both long box tubes though the outer one will see the tensile loading"

I thinks thats a bit over kill...but I'll find out !!!!!!

I probably put two 2" triangular webs between the axle and arms, to take up the side loading.

The airbag plate adds triangulation too as its welded to both axle and arm

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Sealing things up.

UK4X4 said:
I used 3M industrial gap fill adhesive, as it never completely goes off and is cheap.

Silkoflex etc is way better if your doing 12 ft long panels as it stays really stretchy.

For my short sheets this will do for $2 a tube.

Thanks!
P

Rezarf <><

Explorer
FWIW, I used SikaFlex on my trailer and it was overkill, but that is what we're all into isn't it?

It is great stuff, just have all your welding done because it doesn't take to heat well. :eek: DAMHIK

:jump:

lowenbrau

Explorer
Sikaflex is really good stuff but it is nearly permanent. It is a big challenge to get parts apart once sealed with it. A really stretchy alternative is Tremco Dymonic. It takes days to cure but then will stretch to about ten times its static size. For three or four days after you use it though you'll be transferring it around the house. You'll touch it with your hands and then touch the door knob. Your kid will touch the door knob and then pat the dog. The dog will sleep on the couch and leave some there. Your mother in law will sit on the couch and then lean against the fridge and so on and so on for days. :mad:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Took the day off today...........................................

and here's where I got to....

whoppeeeeeeee a rolling trailer...........with boingy bags an all...

added web to axles, added webs to upper bag mounts, ran some SS tubing for the air bag supply line, finished up a few welds.

One side needed adjusting with some slotted holes, mainly due to the nuts I welded into the frame for the mount.

The other side I left the hole smaller for the nut and pushed it in, then welded it.

Just shocks and shock mounts and its painting time.........

DSC_2053.jpg

DSC_2055.jpg

DSC_2056.jpg

DSC_2052.jpg

DSC_2051.jpg

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Very impressive. How was it to work with the stainless tubing? Nice touch. The tubing should be at least expedition grade hardware if not aerospace.

Your trailer is getting so much cooler all of the time.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94