great tire size debate

Benc

Explorer
I lost 2MPG when I went from 33's to 35's so you should see a gain there. Go 285 as there are many more tire choices and if you have an issue on the road you have a better chance of finding a replacement on the shelf.

Keep in mind your odometer is not going to be right with any tire size change. With 35's you would actually be going farther than the odometer says. That being said IMHO I would not put anything smaller on this big of a vehicle. But again it all depends on what type of driving you do most. One other thing to keep on mind, is you do get a better ride off road with the 35's aired down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CYK

Adventurer
I know for the 100/200s, you definitely want to re-gear if you go above 33s and let's not also forget that it's not just width or diameter - what's more critical is the weight of the tire that'll contribute to wear/tear.

End of day, do what pleases you and go into knowing that there will pros/cons to each tire decision you make.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I know for the 100/200s, you definitely want to re-gear if you go above 33s and let's not also forget that it's not just width or diameter - what's more critical is the weight of the tire that'll contribute to wear/tear.

End of day, do what pleases you and go into knowing that there will pros/cons to each tire decision you make.

I wouldn't say that. My 100 is easily in 99th percentile for 100 weight fatties when I wheel, and the lack of gearing is only mildly irritating in some instances. I have no issues in city or merging. Actually, the biggest issue is the 4 speed 1-2 gap, which is always an issue.

I have a hard time seeing a 200 with all that power really caring about a gear change. You're only looking at a 10% reduction in applied tq. With what's on tap, in an auto box, there's no way it's going to affect vehicle ability to any perceptible extent.

CYK

Adventurer
I wouldn't say that. My 100 is easily in 99th percentile for 100 weight fatties when I wheel, and the lack of gearing is only mildly irritating in some instances. I have no issues in city or merging. Actually, the biggest issue is the 4 speed 1-2 gap, which is always an issue.

I have a hard time seeing a 200 with all that power really caring about a gear change. You're only looking at a 10% reduction in applied tq. With what's on tap, in an auto box, there's no way it's going to affect vehicle ability to any perceptible extent.

I guess some folks just have a higher standard for the quality of the ride. I would most def regear if 33"+ and esp so if you carry extra weight. Again, do what pleases you. I know where I stand. I demand the very best.

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
Yeah, running 285's on my LX470 I feel the lack of gearing. But then again, I pull a trailer a lot. It all depends on what you can stand and how you use your vehicle.

Benc

Explorer
I guess some folks just have a higher standard for the quality of the ride. I would most def regear if 33"+ and esp so if you carry extra weight. Again, do what pleases you. I know where I stand. I demand the very best.

Demand the very best where? I demand the very best performance off road so that is why I choose at least 35s on my 100. The weight difference between 35s and 33s is only about 7lbs per tire. I had 35 on my tacoma and really didn't notice and more ware and tear than with 33s. Off road was a night and day difference in performance and on road was not much difference at all. I don't own a 80 series but I know they are gutless no matter what tire size you run. One thing I did notice on my tacoma and on the 100 is that the 35s put my shift points in a better place than the 33s. In other words before with 33s it would be going back and forth between gears and would over rev or bog. With the 35s I can take off the over drive and hold 2500 - 3000 rpm on the same hills without the transmission shifting all over the place. But again that would be different with every vehicle. Your best bet is to run 35s 33s and 31s and see which works best for your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zimm

Expedition Leader

Lol. I'll think about your cushy standards as dine on the champs elysees next friday.

p nut

butter
I've not gone to 35's, but 33's are just fine with stock gearing.

Lol. I'll think about your cushy standards as dine on the champs elysees next friday.

Don't worry about him. I'm actually surprised he had enough self-control not to bring up his 911 or his old 500hp Rover in this thread.

Last edited:

86tuning

Adventurer
I've had smaller tires on my 80 and wouldn't trade my 315s for anything smaller. Fuel economy doesn't improve at all with these trucks no matter what you do. Run some premium dampers and be done with the mods. Just drive it!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Steamrollers. 325s fellas. Everything else is bike tires to me. Lol

y9aqamum.jpg

And let's be clear. They are toyo at2 tires and they come in p, lt and xtreme options. Best at tire on the market today.

So much fail in this photo....don't know where to start....

subytoy

Observer
I've been happy with 285/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 80. Anything narrower would require a different rim (imho).

Rockhounder

Explorer
So much fail in this photo....don't know where to start....

This could be fun, I'll start
1: parking skills are either really bad or really good....... I think the latter as if he really were trying to see how close he CAN get, it looks like he has a couple of inches he could have shaved

2: I don't think that car has ever or will ever be taken out on an actual dirt trail, where there is the remotest chance of a stray bush branch leaving a nice trail scar on that beautifully polished body..... perhaps that is an answer to item 1:.... maybe he is after all a really great close parker, and parks that way deliberately whenever he can next to a beam, leaving a lot of extra room on the other side to try to avoid any other car and driver from getting too close and leaving a palmprint, oh horror... would explain why he thought it was a good idea to fold his mirrors with a full 3 feet of clearance there....... :)

3:are those fake beadlockers?

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
This could be fun, I'll start
1: parking skills are either really bad or really good....... I think the latter as if he really were trying to see how close he CAN get, it looks like he has a couple of inches he could have shaved

2: I don't think that car has ever or will ever be taken out on an actual dirt trail, where there is the remotest chance of a stray bush branch leaving a nice trail scar on that beautifully polished body..... perhaps that is an answer to item 1:.... maybe he is after all a really great close parker, and parks that way deliberately whenever he can next to a beam, leaving a lot of extra room on the other side to try to avoid any other car and driver from getting too close and leaving a palmprint, oh horror... would explain why he thought it was a good idea to fold his mirrors with a full 3 feet of clearance there....... :)

3:are those fake beadlockers?

Oops...

image_zps4d5fadd6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior