Thoughts on a 1996 Suburban 2500

Joe Kickass

That looks very nice. I know this era suburban is not too popular for expedition vehicles but my wife and I love our 98 suburban. It is super reliable, and surefooted in bad weather. We sleep very comfortably in it and have room for our gear.

FCM

Not Lost, Finding Another Way
I'm not familiar with the generation of Suburban, but it does look nice. It can't hurt to go check it out.
-
Test drive it and ask lots of questions. Can't hurt to bring some test equipment along as well to see what the Suburban has to tell you.

aarolar

That thread is a little miss leading I can count on about 12-12.5 mixed driving and 14 Hwy with mine easily. However it is easy to drop to the single digits if you get heavy footed with it.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Check it over well as it's been sitting lately (maybe even do a PPI somewhere), but it looks great, and low miles! It would make a great platform, if you're OK with the dismal fuel mileage. Helluva gasser motor though.

Bring on the GMT400 love! That's what I'm here to promote I've decided. They're underappreciated for little good reason around here.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
If I hadn't stumbled on VanDOOM, the GM400 platform would probably been my choice. They are tough, easy to work on, cheap to buy, tons of parts and very roomy and comfortable.

The 1996 was the first year of the revised 454. Now the Vortec 7400 it has more power and better fuel economy. I see it has the floor shift 4wd stick, but it was the first year of the electric 4x4. I am not sure that the stick is electric shift or not.

It should have the 14 bolt full floating axle which is bulletproof. The front end is OK actually for our use. You can do a SAS on it, but it requires a pretty large lift.

Overall I think it is a good platform. I would try and get it for around 3k or even less. Low mileage is great, but it sounds like it has been sitting which opens up various cans of worms.

Also, since it has been in a barn, check every exposed electrical wire and hose for damage from rodents.

aarolar

Check it over well as it's been sitting lately (maybe even do a PPI somewhere), but it looks great, and low miles! It would make a great platform, if you're OK with the dismal fuel mileage. Helluva gasser motor though.

Bring on the GMT400 love! That's what I'm here to promote I've decided. They're underappreciated for little good reason around here.

I am in with you.

While I am thinking about it a few things you should know about these engines.

The fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator will likely be bad go ahead and budget it into the purchase. Also these trucks may or may not have an issue with bad lifters, usually it displays itself early in the engines life and at only 88k I would be listening closely for any bad sounding ticking or knocking. With all that said there are several trucks on another forum that are at 300k and still going so don't be turned off. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask my family has owned 8 GMT400 over the years so I am pretty well versed on their innerworkings.

Last edited:

colierar

Observer
I love mine, its a 97 bought it about 6 months ago. Intake manifold gaskets (lower) go bad. If its never had a fuel pump, it will need one. Looks like that is the last year for manual shift transfer case which is good(mine is push button). Probably has the G80 factory locker, and has a 4L80E, both are awesome. Mine is a 2500 with a 7.4 and I have never gotten 12mpg, I've tried....They have a 42 gallon tank... FML when its time to fuel up. Parts are so cheap its ridiculous and its easy to work on. I put a starter in mine and it took me longer to jack it up than it did to replace it. I use mine for camping and forest service roads. I am not much of a hardcore off road person. Buy it if its in good shape(I paid $3k and it had 190k on it), you wont regret it. Feel free to ask questions.

aarolar

I am starting to wonder if the MPG difference is a suburban thing vs a truck. Wouldn't think it weighed that much more but maybe so.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
For $4000:Wow1: you cant go wrong. Take the truck for a long drive and listen for noisy lifter like mentioned before. Also, before you start it take out the dipstick and look at the oil. Run your fingers up the dipstick and see if the oil has any gritty residue. The oil should hopefully be slippery and not too dark in colour. Test the 4 wheel drive on some slipery road surface to make sure it works. Looks to me like you found a bargain!:drool:

Ridge Runner

Delta V
I am starting to wonder if the MPG difference is a suburban thing vs a truck. Wouldn't think it weighed that much more but maybe so.

Shoot, my '90 K3500 I bought this (past) summer burns about 2 quarts of oil per tank and is a 4 speed. I still got 13 MPG with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles