SRW wheels with some load rating - suggestions please

cynical42

For those of you running a heavy SRW truck, what wheels do you have? I would prefer to not be too near the load limit for my wheels. Final weight will likely be about 11,500. I am having trouble finding much of anything greater than 3600 lb. I know that is 7200 lb per axle but the weight isn't necessarily evenly distributed and if I had a wheel in the air the load has to go someplace. Anyone know of anything a little stronger without going to speacialty wheels which are far more expensive wheels? I currently am running surplus H1s w/ MTs. Specifically I am looking for something 17x9, 8x6.5, 5-6" backspacing. I plan to run 37" Pitbull Rockers, Nitto Mud Grapplers, or Interco Iroks because they have the highest load rating without going bigger and give me some off road capabilities. I don't want to go to a larger wheel, like a super single, as I would like to be able to air these down some (not single digits) as needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
There has been a lot of complaints about Rickson, so I would be careful there. I have never used them.

I am running the 16x7 Alcoa Ford wheel on VanDOOM. They are rated for 3750 each I believe with the right tires.

I am not sure you will be able to find something in the 5 or 6k rating in a 17.

XRrider

Observer
Those mid-90's Ford Alcoas are an awesome wheel. I wish Ford wouldn't have screwed up the SuperDuty bolt pattern, I'd love a set for my current truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The load rating is spec'd with other things in mind than crawling slowly through a ditch with a wheel in the air, and all the weight on one or two wheels. That's easy, and the factory wheels would be rated 3 times higher if that was the case. So don't worry about that.
-
The weight rating concerns driving down the freeway and hitting a 1 foot deep pothole. Will the wheel bend safely? Or will it explode into aluminum confetti and flip the truck and then cartwheel down a hill on fire into an Old Time Buffet killing a dozen senior citezens.
-
That's a bit harder to spec. So if your within spec on the stock wheels, I wouldn't sweat it much. IME, the nicer, take off, factory ford wheels are what I prefer. I've seen the center snapped out of steel wheels as if it was a cheap Al wheel. And I've seen forged Al wheels bend. Anything can happen. It's hard to find quality wheels these days. Which is another reason I like the factory take offs if I need a wheel 1" wider or an 18".

Kowboy

Adventurer
The 37" Toyo MT's have a pretty high load rating.

Actu'ly a VERY high load ratin' ... and perform mighty fine on and off the road. I also like the 13.50 width.

I'm runnin' 'em on 17" Spyderlock beadlocks and have yet to kill a single senior citizen.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pretty hard to beat a stock steel wheel for load rating....

All Ill run on my heavy SRW pickup is stock steel wheels.

xbox73

Adventurer
I have Method Street Standard rims in matte black, 17x9, 8 on 170, 4.5BS, -12 offset (3600 lbs max load), coupled with Toyo MT 17x13.5x37 (Load Range E, 4300 lbs max load), on my '00 diesel Ford Excursion with 8" all spring lift & 4.56 gears front & rear.

I find I need to run the Toyo MTs at max pressure (65 psi) on the street to be stable under heavy braking, as the sidewalls seem somewhat soft (even though they are Load Range E, with 4300 lbs max load per tire).

dave1014

Adventurer
Heres a pic
utajaje7.jpg

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior