Need ideas for how to do plumbing from a gravity fed water tank to my bathroom sink

broken1

Observer
Pretty much. The OP's chosen jug is made for just that sort of use, with it's bottom spigot. Just as easy to use an Aquatainer or Coleman / Rubbermaid drink cooler.

k2-_a88510d9-b2a3-4c0a-9258-962224268bea.v1.jpg

Just an FYI the spigot part of the Aquatainer (blue on the left) cap unthreads and reverses for storage like seen here:http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-gallon-Water-Container-With-Spigot/872426. that hole also happens to be threaded using standard pipe threads. I used one of those to add a water tank to my popup that the previous owner had deleted. A quick trip to the hardware store netted me a single adapter down to the correct barbed end. It already has a vent and takes a beating. It has worked well for a few seasons of abuse.

Amusingly enough, the other end of the line is attached to a faucet that looks exactly like this:
also the one on the left.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
You could also use clear plastic tubing, sized so the ID is just about the same as the OD of your spigot. Slide it onto your spigot, run it to an on/off valve, and you're the King of rock-n-roll. It would have to 'burp' occasionally. If your tubing is a bit too small you can hog some plastic out of the inside of it, I've done that before when adapting barb fittings. If you get a close enough fit you could even do without any sort of hose clamp, just friction fit.

colorado matt

Adventurer
So you are saying to forget putting a pipe from the container to the sink with a brass spigot and just use the spigot that is already on the container?

yes .... find a way to add a hose to that spigot on the container .... build a rack just above the sink for that container against the wall ... hose goes into sink ... done .... first thing that comes to my mind would be closet shelving bent up and attached to the wall that the container would just drop into .... not sure that the extra height of putting the container in the cabinet would make much difference in pressure and then you could use the cabinet space for something else ...... and if you have space under the sink .. put the water there and get the hand pump ...that is a great simple solution also

riccasey

There are lots of reasons to consider a hand pump:

1. Water storage can be kept low. My storage is under the sink on the floor.
2. No chance of water leaks, or least significantly reduced. Remove spigot and that's where the 3/8" supply line goes. No water has ever founds its way out through this whole even on the roughest of roads.
3. Storage area above sink can be used for other often used camp stuff - food, dishes, whiskey, etc.
4. Possibly less water used compared to a valve that is left open for too long.

I find the piston pumps (page 2 of the link in the previous post) easier to use than the diaphragm shown on page 1. The up / down as opposed to push / pull action. In the long run I think piston over diaphragm is less maintenance.

Following the initial idea by OP take the bottle to a home center and see if you can adapt the spigot area to garden hose thread, then put a garden hose female quick disconnect fitting w/ auto shut off on bottle, then modify a piece of garden hose with the male quick disconnect fitting on the bottle end and a shutoff fitting on the other end, make hose as long as needed, fasten as needed, end hose over sink area, probably invest all of $30 US. Done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94