Need ideas for how to do plumbing from a gravity fed water tank to my bathroom sink

magentawave

Adventurer
I'm rebuilding my 18' Toyota Sunrader and now I'm building a totally new interior. My plan is to meander through Mexico, Central America and South America and to keep hassles to a minimum I want to make things really SIMPLE. For example... instead of an electric water pump to my bathroom sink faucet I was thinking of having the water come from a gravity fed 2.5 gallon plastic tank (see photo below) that will be in a cabinet above the sink. I was thinking of running a piece of pvc pipe from where the spigot currently is on the 2.5 gallon tank to the brass spigot (see photo below) above the sink because those spigots turn on and off with a half turn. I started this thread because I need ideas please for how to plumb the pipe to the 2.5 gallon container. It must be quick connect/disconnect so I can easily refill the tank when needed. One idea I had was to use quick connect brass fittings (see photo below) like the kind used for air compressor hoses but I'm concerned that a 1/2" connector would impede the flow of water. Perhaps use PEX fittings?? What do you think? Any ideas...and even completely different ideas for doing this will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks! :)
31EUOc4CLIL.jpg33ae9ae9-c990-4f75-8466-42792fbf3408_300.jpgaad45186-4a9d-4d54-b6c9-db7d47649937_1000.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
you're gonna need an adapter, son.

looks like you're mixing water & air fittings and taking the long way home. bring an empty jug to the hardware store and tell the guy what you're intending.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don't get your hopes up on having much pressure.

magentawave

Adventurer
I think beer brewing supply stores sell quick connect fittings similar to pneumatic but meant for liquid.

you're gonna need an adapter, son.

looks like you're mixing water & air fittings and taking the long way home. bring an empty jug to the hardware store and tell the guy what you're intending.

It's only for washing hands so shouldn't need much pressure. Got a better idea?

Don't get your hopes up on having much pressure.

southpier

Expedition Leader
if you really want to keep things simple & economical, just get PVC fittings and build a drain under the jug's spigot. no sealed plumbing connection (negating a separate vent line), just a belled (funnel) fitting. this is how condensate drains are installed in plumbing systems and it prevents contamination in the event of a back up. well, the stuff goes all over the floor, but doesn't get back to the air handler!

the jug top could be left loose, or a separate one with a hole pierced in it, switched when not traveling.

I assume the jug front will be accessed so the on & off could be operated easily. you would not want an additional faucet at the sink (to prevent accidental back up) so could simply have a spout.

magentawave

Adventurer
So you are saying to forget putting a pipe from the container to the sink with a brass spigot and just use the spigot that is already on the container?

southpier

Expedition Leader
yes; and let the water run through a pipe into the sink. how far away would the jug be? 36" - 48". it would be quick 'n' dirty until it either wasn't practical or a better solution presents itself.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Just get one of those RV hand pumps for sinks. They use them in truck campers a lot. I'm pretty sure RV world stocks them in the store if you have one near by.

Fundy Rider

What I will be using is four inch pvc pipe which will give you .6 of a gallon per foot and set it up gravity fed along the side of the interior of pickup box with a filler threaded cap with easy access for topping up and valve on the bottom end. Plan on four feet which will give me 2.4 gallons. Simple and no power needed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
1/2" fitting isn't gonna impede anything, with a few feet of gravity flow from a small tank. In fact the smaller the feed line the better or you'll just dump that 2.5gal tank in one go.

But I'd go with a more durable tank. usplastics.com has a huge variety or shapes and capacities. Thick HDPE and a wide variety of bulkhead fittings and plumbing attachments.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I think beer brewing supply stores sell quick connect fittings similar to pneumatic but meant for liquid.

It's only for washing hands so shouldn't need much pressure. Got a better idea?

Get an empty TIDE jug, with the push button spout. sit it on the counter next to the sink
Tom

BTW, what you are planning is the opposite of "Really simple".

rayra

Expedition Leader
Pretty much. The OP's chosen jug is made for just that sort of use, with it's bottom spigot. Just as easy to use an Aquatainer or Coleman / Rubbermaid drink cooler.

k2-_a88510d9-b2a3-4c0a-9258-962224268bea.v1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles