How much do you really get out

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Aside from our week long annual Moab trip each May we get away at least one weekend a month for fishing and camping, the great thing about living at the foot of the mountains is having endless recreation 2 miles from the driveway. We own 5 vehicles(own means paid for) with each having its own purpose.

It's interesting that we have so many over built rigs on here with a lot of money tied up in them that never see more than a dirt road, much less a long weekend away on a desolate mountain trail, is it because so many are working so much in order to pay the debt incurred from modifying their vehicle?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
All said and done, we're on the road about 50-60 days a year.
A winter and spring trip every year, but most of the days are logged over the summer.
We occasionally squeeze in a fall trip on the odd year.

TravelTacoma

Observer
Not Nearly Enough!

My wife and I battle between devoting hours to our careers and to our travels and we haven't been able to perfect the juggling act yet. I would love to quit my job and be able to enjoy life as it should be enjoyed, but we have to pay for our toys somehow! Personally, I think that we should have a system in place where you are able to finance 10+ years of adventuring in your twenties or thirties and then spend the rest of your life paying it back. That also goes back to a crowdsourcing travel argument I had with a friend this weekend at McDowell Mountain Park. I have a bucket list that takes 4 pages of 8.5x11" front and back and I worry that I won't be able to do it all. I think someone should contribute venture capital to finance my transient lifestyle and insatiable wanderlust. Any takers?

Back to your question - about 45 days traveling last year, with about 15 of them spent camping. Not good enough.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My wife and I battle between devoting hours to our careers and to our travels and we haven't been able to perfect the juggling act yet.
Got out for an over night camping trip to the beach this weekend. As soon as we got back the wife says when are we going again?!

TravelTacoma

Observer
Nice! It makes it so much easier to have a spouse that likes the great outdoors too. I have a friend who's wife thinks camping takes place at the Marriott!

98dango

Expedition Leader
Nice! It makes it so much easier to have a spouse that likes the great outdoors too. I have a friend who's wife thinks camping takes place at the Marriott!

I have an exwife with the same views about the Marriott. She also thought that trucks came lifted and ready to go someone did not have to spend every weekend not using the truck working.on the truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It helps that we're "empty nesters" (youngest is 28) and we both are well established in jobs that give us a lot of time off.

I typically do one "solo" camping trip of about a week each year (the Desert Expedition!), and the last 2 years since we got the teardrop, we've camped in it at least 7 times each year, including at least one multi-day "epic" trip (2012 our "epic" trip was out to the Oregon coast, and in 2013 it was Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. Upcoming for '14 is an epic 2 week trip through the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite and King's Canyon/Sequoia.) Also most years I manage to get a 3 or 4 day solo motorcycle trip, although I typically don't camp out, I usually stay in motels just because I don't like sleeping on the ground and I don't like having to carry camping gear on my bike.

Of course, living in Colorado means that there is great camping and outdoor activities just outside our front door. I don't know what I'd do if I lived in the Midwest or Northeast. I actually did live in the Southeast for a number of years when I was in the Army (Fort Bragg, NC) and I never camped out when I was there, it was just too far away to drive to find a decent place to go.

Before 2012 the wife and I had gone camping exactly twice: Once in 2006 sleeping in a tent on the ground and once in 2007 sleeping in the back of my Tacoma. In both cases, she wasn't comfortable, and I know you've all heard the saying "if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" ;)

So, after the new year, I asked her what she would want in order to be more comfortable camping. She said she didn't like sleeping on the ground and the bed of my truck was just too small for two people. We looked at various tent trailers and other types of campers, but ultimately she suggested we look at a teardrop, and that turned out to be "the solution" for us. She loves camping in our teardrop called "Bubbles." It's comfortable (the sleeping area is actually bigger than the bed we sleep in at home), it's safe (hard sided and we can lock the door), and it's not so big or complex that it requires a lot of maintenance, although we did do a "marathon" rebuild project last year (see the link in my signature.) She likes it so much that a few times she's suggested we sleep in Bubbles sometimes when we're at home!

The other thing my wife likes is the social aspect of the teardrop. She likes being part of a "community" of people who get together and she really likes going to the various teardrop gatherings, joining in the pot luck dinners and talking to other "tearjerkers."

So the advice I would give to those of you with a spouse or significant other who "doesn't like to camp" is to see if you can reach some kind of compromise to make the camping experience a better one for them. It may be something as simple as not wanting to sleep on the ground, not feeling safe sleeping in a tent or not wanting to go 3 or 4 days without a shower, all of which you can work around if you explore various methods. Also, if you are used to camping by yourself or just with your spouse, see if you can find another couple or group to go camping with, because the social aspect of camping may make it appeal more to your spouse.

Bottom line is that we probably get out more than some people, but not as much as others. Nevertheless, we treasure our camping time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...we look at a teardrop, and that turned out to be "the solution" for us. She loves camping in our teardrop called "Bubbles." It's comfortable (the sleeping area is actually bigger than the bed we sleep in at home), it's safe (hard sided and we can lock the door), and it's not so big or complex that it requires a lot of maintenance, although we did do a "marathon" rebuild project last year (see the link in my signature.) She likes it so much that a few times she's suggested we sleep in Bubbles sometimes when we're at home! ....

Bottom line is that we probably get out more than some people, but not as much as others. Nevertheless, we treasure our camping time.
Funny how similar the stories are in the teardrop community.
More and more people that camp with us are getting them. And people we meet on the road.
Teardropping is contagious.

056_zpsf3794079.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
I've been trying to get teardrop campers out of my mind for about three years now......you guys aren't helping my recovery one bit with threads like these :D!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have to say I don't get teardrop camping...seems like the worst of both worlds to me. They are too small to do anything but sleep in, so you still have to set up a screen tent or awning if you want a place to relax out of the rain/sun/bugs...so why not just have a nice tent for a lot less money?

Ridge Runner

Delta V
I have to say I don't get teardrop camping...seems like the worst of both worlds to me. They are too small to do anything but sleep in, so you still have to set up a screen tent or awning if you want a place to relax out of the rain/sun/bugs...so why not just have a nice tent for a lot less money?

This is how I've always felt. I've seen some cool teardrops, but unless I'm driving something made before 1970, to me they just look out of place. I'm not trying to bash teardrops, I'm just stating my opinion in the hope that one of you guys might say something to change my mind, as I do want to like them, but like BigSwede said, they just seem like the worst of both worlds.

SoCal Tom

Explorer

It depends on know you look at it. The TearDrop is basically a tent with hard sides. You have protection from the weather, you get a comfy bed ( camping is way more fun with a good night sleep). But it's not so comfy and big inside that you just spend all your time inside. The galley is outside, the sitting space is outside, so your still camping.

Since they are small and simple, maintenance is easy and cheap. Most of them can fit in your garage. All you have to do to go camping is throw in a couple days worth of clothes, and food and you are on your way.

When I go camping it's because I want to be outside. I built my TD myself, I have about $2500 in it, that's less than a lot of RTTs. It's not as nice as the pro built ones, but it works for me.

I pulled mine 250 miles each a couple of weeks back. I got 15mpg, which is only 3 or 4 mpg less than normal. When we arrived, it was late, and it took all of 5 minutes to unhook it, level it and climb in bed.

When it was time to leave, close up the galley, hook it up and we are gone. Then unloading means taking out my dirty clothes, and unloading the cooler.

So the short answer is its Easy, it's cheap and it's comfortable.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What Tom said.

I had a heart attack and then cancer, back to back. I needed to push the easy button and the teardrop was it.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I pulled mine 250 miles each a couple of weeks back. I got 15mpg, which is only 3 or 4 mpg less than normal. When we arrived, it was late, and it took all of 5 minutes to unhook it, level it and climb in bed.

When it was time to leave, close up the galley, hook it up and we are gone. Then unloading means taking out my dirty clothes, and unloading the cooler.
I can certainly see how it is handy for a quick overnight. But if you are doing more than sleeping, and it is raining, or the mosquitos are bad, or the sun is very hot, you are going to need to set up another structure for protection.

Of course the same could be said for me, since I sleep in the Trooper most of the time.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I can certainly see how it is handy for a quick overnight. But if you are doing more than sleeping, and it is raining, or the mosquitos are bad, or the sun is very hot, you are going to need to set up another structure for protection.

Of course the same could be said for me, since I sleep in the Trooper most of the time.

That's true of everyone, well except a Big RV, then you can sit inside and play video games. If you camp in an RTT, or a tent or your rig, you have the same issues. I haven't had to deal with rain yet, but I have some coverage from the galley hatch. if it's too bad I could put the oven in the jeep and cook there, or fold back the bed and cook inside.
I did set up an ezup awning and a folding table, so it was a little more than just hooking up to go, but every other campsite in the place had an awning out and a folding table, so that would have been true for anyone.
I also have a small TV inside, with 100GB of movies, last trip there were no other kids along, so we brought along the Wii for him to play with after dark.

There are compromises with what ever you choose. The TD doesn't have the space of a big trailer, or RV, but I can go places they can't. A tent trailer has a lot more space, but is heavier, and has soft sides, so in the wind you are screwed. ( In SoCal Deserts, the wind blows 1 out every 5 days I go camping). For me the TD was the right blend of compromises, they aren't for everyone. If you have more than 2 adults then you probably can't use a TD.
To get back to the original post, in 2013, I took mine out about twice last year. We moved in May, and now that we are settled, I've had it out twice, and I've got 3 other trips planned before it gets too hot in the desert. I expect to use it about every 6 weeks between Halloween and memorial day next year.
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz