How much do you really get out

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This tent attaches to the door of the TD and takes about 5 minutes to put up. Screen room or warm room; 10'X10'
We've only used it one time in almost 3 years ---- and that was just to use it...
033_zpsd7739ab6.jpg

The ARS is also 10'X10' and goes up in about 20 seconds. Keeps rain off, sun off. In this pic it was REALLY sunny and we also put up a tarp.
DSCN4559_zpsdf134a68.jpg

When we're roadtripping though, we just park it and declare victory. The heavy equipment is for extended basecamping.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've been trying to get teardrop campers out of my mind for about three years now......you guys aren't helping my recovery one bit with threads like these :D!

Yeah, this probably won't help either:

IMG_1573AA_zpsa739fb14.jpg

You're welcome. :sombrero:

I have to say I don't get teardrop camping...seems like the worst of both worlds to me. They are too small to do anything but sleep in, so you still have to set up a screen tent or awning if you want a place to relax out of the rain/sun/bugs...so why not just have a nice tent for a lot less money?

well....

It depends on know you look at it. The TearDrop is basically a tent with hard sides. You have protection from the weather, you get a comfy bed ( camping is way more fun with a good night sleep). But it's not so comfy and big inside that you just spend all your time inside. The galley is outside, the sitting space is outside, so your still camping.

Since they are small and simple, maintenance is easy and cheap. Most of them can fit in your garage. All you have to do to go camping is throw in a couple days worth of clothes, and food and you are on your way.

Yup, what he said. You can't think of it as an "RV" because it really isn't one. It's a hard-sided tent that can't collapse in the middle of the night, that has a comfortable bed that is off the ground, and that is fully set up when you stop.

I can certainly see how it is handy for a quick overnight. But if you are doing more than sleeping, and it is raining, or the mosquitos are bad, or the sun is very hot, you are going to need to set up another structure for protection.

OK, seriously, if you're camping someplace where you need to stay inside for comfort or to get away from the bugs, you don't need a shelter, you need to find a better place to camp! :elkgrin:

In fact, the whole thing that makes being a "tearjerker" so much fun is that you don't have any place to "retreat" to. You have to be "outside" because the inside is so small!

Go to a typical KOA or other big campground and look at the big monster RVs and 5th wheels. Plugged in, TV on, AC blasting, parents and kids watching a movie on TV or playing a video game.

Ummm....so why not just stay at the house? What's the point of going to a place like Glacier NP or Yellowstone if you're just going to sit in an air conditioned box and watch TV? :confused:

OTOH, go to a Teardrop gathering and you'll see a large circle of teardrops, various awnings, shelters, etc, but people are sitting outside: Talking, playing games, cooking, drinking a beer, checking out the other teardrops, playing with the dog or the kids (though to be fair, most teardroppers are either singles, young couples with no kids or empty nesters like us, for obvious reasons that there aren't a lot of places to sleep a couple with kids.)

The "outdoor" part of it is one of the things that makes it so much fun!

When we go solo (that is, by ourselves instead of to a teardrop gathering) we wake up, cook breakfast, then go out. Hike, take pictures, sightsee, just enjoy the outdoors. And even if it's pouring rain when we get back to the teardrop, we can unlock it and our bed is made up and dry as a bone. Can't say that with a tent, which might collapse while you're gone!

We do have an EZ-up type awning for shelter and shade, and we sometimes carry a screen house to keep the bugs away, but honestly most of the places we camp, it's not an issue.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Fair enough. I'm not criticizing, just never saw the appeal. Back to your originally scheduled topic.

java

Expedition Leader
Love the TD idea, but just too small for kids and dogs. And my wife wanted a bathroom for ski bumming....

So came up with this, its 4x4, but a bit limited due to its size....

i1r5.jpg

And we have been out A LOT this winter. may not be hardcore but we have spent 10 nights out since Christmas. And are headed out tonight for another 5!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Fair enough. I'm not criticizing, just never saw the appeal. Back to your originally scheduled topic.

Well, it's not for everybody, that's for sure. I say the same thing when I see someone driving a giant RV or pulling a huge trailer. Why would you want something that big? Manhandling that behemoth and maintaining all the hookups, electrical, plumbing, etc, would be like having another house to maintain (and a motorhome would be like having another house AND another car to maintain!)

I go camping to get away from the "honey do" list, not to make it longer. :p

bdog1

Adventurer
40 odd nights out in our van last year. (Not stellar but a record for us.) Much more campground, less off-road, less miles and less boonedocking. Wife is happier, so we're planning more. Social aspects have also been a plus, meeting others like minded.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

peneumbra

Explorer
Living in Flagstaff is sort of like camping out on a permanent basis. Well, being on permanent vacation, anyway: the beautiful backdrop of the San Francisco Peaks, the clear thin air at 7,000 feet, the constant coming-and-going of travelers from all over the world. Our home is off-road, which means that, whenever it snows, we're putting the trucks in 4x4 just to get back to the house or go out to one of the 47,000 coffee establishments we have here. And no longer working - at least at anything away from home - adds to the vacation flavor of life, although I do occasionally get up before dawn, just to lie back down and go back to sleep.

And we go up to the Canyon (80-some miles from the house to the South Rim) sometimes just to have dinner at the El Tovar. We've got an outside fire ring to sit around, though I have to say I'm still waiting for a park ranger to wander up and give a fireside talk about nature or the meaning of life. When I want to look at the Milky Way, which is pretty cool this high up on a clear night, I go out to the hot tub on the back deck and recline in the 103-degree water.

As I get older, I have to admit that I'm more into comfort than adventure, at least when it comes to eating and sleeping. But I still enjoy getting out there and crawling around the high desert and the San Juans and Wyoming, hanging with strange people, and (especially late at night) having long, insightful conversations with badgers and weasels...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior