Saline Valley January 2-5 2014

wgyouree

KK6LZW
We had the itch to go see Death Valley. My buddies had some time off so we checked on the weather and planned a route to the Warm Springs in Saline Valley for some R&R. There were some snow storms a few weeks back but fortunately Inyo country has graded North Saline Valley Road over the pass. It's in better shape than I've ever seen any road in Death Valley, and probably better than some paved roads. Go Inyo County!

We left after work on Thursday January 2nd and drove as far as Mojave where we stayed the night at the Desert Inn. This was a really nice little motel. Very clean and the heater in the room blows hot.

01_desert_inn.jpg

We got up Friday morning and tried to get a view of the airplane boneyard and the Mojave Spaceport. Couldn't see too much from a distance.

air_plane_boneyard.jpg

We stopped at Lone Pine on the drive to get some Fresh Jerky.

02_god_bless_america.jpg

03_restroom.jpg

We drove through Big Bine and up into the Inyo mountains. There was a layer of snow covering the ground wherever there is enough shade throughout the day.

04_jeeps.jpg

05_snow_shadows.jpg

06_some_snow.jpg

Here's the reason why the road is so nicely graded.

IMAG1283.jpg

On the way into Saline Valley we had several fly-bys with a pair of F/A 18 Hornets possibly doing some mock dog-fighting at very low altitude. I should've gotten pictures of the first fly-by because it was so close to us, but my jaw literally just hit the floor and all I could do was stand in awe and watch.

08_hornet.jpg

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Continued...

We passed by the Bat Sign and Face of Saline Valley and made camp at the Oasis.

09_face_of_saline_valley.jpg

IMAG1284.jpg

010_oasis.jpg

That night we grilled some steaks and soaked in the Upper Springs while checking out the desert stars.

IMAG1288.jpg

012_orion.jpg

The Oasis was almost empty. Lizard Lee was out of town. Apparently he avoids the area during the Holidays because it can get pretty crazy, but I guess most folks had left by this point. We almost had the Lower Springs to ourselves. We did meet a guy who had been backpacking up and down the mountains for the last week or so on foot. He said you usually can't do that because of lack of water, but with the recent snow you can hydrate by eating snow. Someone also left Mickey Mouse on the Helipad, presumably to help guide the copters in for a safe landing.

011_saline_valley_sunset.jpg

013_saline_valley_sunrise.jpg

014_mickey.jpg

015_saline_valley.jpg

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Continued...

While we were there I got some photos of the Lower Springs (the Oasis). The airport was busier than I've ever seen it and got a picture of a small plane making a desert landing.

017_plane_lands.jpg

IMAG1291.jpg

IMAG1296.jpg

There were quite a few coyotes running around camp this time.

016_coyote.jpg

Sunday morning we woke up early. On the way out we stopped by the small abandoned mine/site on the North Pass for some photos.

018_frame_graffiti.jpg

019_hole_in_the_groun_d.jpg

020_jeeper_in_a_ghost_town.jpg

021_josh_and_ivanna.jpg

On the highway we passed a Bradley Fighting Vehicle and a photo-op with my buddy's Comanche that I couldn't pass up.

IMAG1303.jpg

IMAG1308.jpg

We made it back to San Jose before 7pm. It was another great trip to Death Valley. The weather was beautiful and the road was perfect. Can't wait to head that way again!

Big50

Adventurer
Great report and pics. I've been to DV once and I can't wait to get back out there. Thanks for sharing.

Byways

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this! So you had no difficulty getting through from Big Pine to Saline Valley? I thought I'd read somewhere not long ago that the road was badly washed out. All vicious lies?

EMrider

Explorer
Saline Valley is one of my favorite places to visit. Very special in a way that you can only fully appreciate if you have been there.

R

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Thanks for posting this! So you had no difficulty getting through from Big Pine to Saline Valley? I thought I'd read somewhere not long ago that the road was badly washed out. All vicious lies?

I believe that it was badly washed out, but a couple weeks ago Inyo County came along and graded the road. There was a crew still working on the road when we drove through. It's very nice now. No washboards or anything. However, the South Pass up Grapevine Canyon is still bad from what I've heard.

Byways

Adventurer
That's great news, but ... No washboards??? That alone is worth the trip, given how teeth-rattling that road can be.

wgyouree

KK6LZW
That's great news, but ... No washboards??? That alone is worth the trip, given how teeth-rattling that road can be.

That's right :) We cruised along at around 30 MPH with almost no rattles. We went as far as the turn off to the Warm Springs, but the road appeared to be graded nicely after that at least as far as I could see.

zidaro

Explorer
Nice writeup.
We get out there quite a bit. The N. Pass rd. was cleaned up from the Summer floods around Mid-Nov. It is clear and smooth for now. Steel Pass is also in good condition till you get deep into the washes just before the springs where it gets a bit vague but still no probs for a basic 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94