2011-2014 JK dash accessory mount Proof of Concept

nnnnnate

Adventurer
There are posts from the factory under the vents. I don't know how accurate it is but a buddy said they are there for the J8 military spec rigs and are for rifle mounts. Tilt the glass, mount the rifle and off to patrol the bush. I tried to find something online to substantiate that but couldn't find anything written about them. I did find some pretty bad *** pictures though of the J8. My buddy said they are on both sides of the dash to accommodate right and left had steering. I wish I could find more info about it.

I called and talked to Vector Off Road about their dash mount. The version they have now for 2011+ is a soft mount and isn't recommended for tablets (I want to hang mine down in front of my radio) but they are working on a version that takes advantage of these threaded posts. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said it was a matter of setting up a jig to replicate production. Who knows if it will ever be completed. There are a few products out there that I'm waiting to enter production but am not holding my breath on any of them.

This is the best pic I could find that might be using the dash post. *Might*
JeepJ8LPV.jpg

Last edited:

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
There are two small access pieces in the top of the dash on the 2011+ JK's. Once removed there is an M6 stud with a nut that holds the upper dash framework to the tub/firewall. There is roughly 15-20mm of additional thread above the already installed nut. I simply used this extra thread to thread my standoffs to. That being siad, I highly doubt that these would support a loaded machine gun. i think what you see above is a highly modfied J8 with small front exo cage, specialty windscreen, and the gun is likely mounted to the exo lower windscreen cross bar.

I havn't had my tablet attached yet but will have it on for my El Camino Diablo trip at the end of February.

The vector dock for the 2011+ is soft in that it really just wedges into the upper dash pocket. They use the small factory screw just to keep it from bouncing out of the pocket. Take a look at the JKE dock for the 2007-2010 from Vector. That is probably what they will do for the version they claim they are working on. I would have been interested in their product, but really don't care for the hoop that comes around the front of the upper dash pocket. I just wanted the bar. That said, If they tie the two studs together with their existing design as a single piece, then it would be very stout and easily able to support a tablet.

I am currently making 4 kits just like mine. Will post up more details later. Essentially I am using the same concept as the one I currently have installed, but purchased some easier to modify scope rings to use. I also will buy aluminum round stock for the standoffs and can get the 1" aluminum tube pre-anodized in a few colors as mentioned above. I bought all black for these though.

studs.jpg

JK 1.jpeg

JK 2.jpeg

nnnnnate

Adventurer
The vector dock for the 2011+ is soft in that it really just wedges into the upper dash pocket. They use the small factory screw just to keep it from bouncing out of the pocket. Take a look at the JKE dock for the 2007-2010 from Vector. That is probably what they will do for the version they claim they are working on. I would have been interested in their product, but really don't care for the hoop that comes around the front of the upper dash pocket. I just wanted the bar. That said, If they tie the two studs together with their existing design as a single piece, then it would be very stout and easily able to support a tablet.

I'm local to Vector and called before I was going to try and stop by to make sure they were open. I explained what I was wanting to do and the guy told me he would not recommend hanging a tablet off the current mount for the reason you mentioned. That is when we started to talk about the prototype. I got the impression this new version would use the same bar as the late model style but just would tie into the studs.

That said, I'm impressed with your work and wish I had some fab skills so I could make my own setup.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
There are posts from the factory under the vents. I don't know how accurate it is but a buddy said they are there for the J8 military spec rigs and are for rifle mounts. Tilt the glass, mount the rifle and off to patrol the bush. I tried to find something online to substantiate that but couldn't find anything written about them. I did find some pretty bad *** pictures though of the J8. My buddy said they are on both sides of the dash to accommodate right and left had steering. I wish I could find more info about it.

I called and talked to Vector Off Road about their dash mount. The version they have now for 2011+ is a soft mount and isn't recommended for tablets (I want to hang mine down in front of my radio) but they are working on a version that takes advantage of these threaded posts. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he said it was a matter of setting up a jig to replicate production. Who knows if it will ever be completed. There are a few products out there that I'm waiting to enter production but am not holding my breath on any of them.

Thanks for posting your info.

I like the concept and I've looked into it numerous times. I use Ram Mounts which I like a lot and having a bar that we can clamp balls to for the Ram Mounts makes sense.

On September 12, 2013 I spoke to Travis at Vector Offroad about the next generation JK E-Dock. He told me that it was just a matter of making the jigs to weld up the assembly. At least the story is the same 4 months later which means they're probably not any closer to making the new product.

You've probably seen their design...

trekarmour002-Copy.jpg

Here's what I understand is Gen I and this picture shows the Ram balls attached (u-bolted) to the E-Dock...

edockemptytop.jpg

I've also looked at the Daystar tray with the ball but noticed that the ball is too small (some have wrapped tape around them to make them larger diameter).

Daystar_DashPanel_KJ71039BK_view1.jpg

I'm done waiting for Vector Offroad so as soon as I decide this is the way to go (and figure out how to install a bar like the above) I'm going to go forward and DIY one.

Potentially a better solution is the Ram A-Pillar Ball Mounts from Carolina Metal Masters. They're easy to install (but with fewer locations) and a great solution for Ram Mount products.

http://www.carolinametalmasters.com/products/ram-pillar-ball-mount

Pillar_Ram_Ball_Mount2_large.jpg

They've got an aluminum grab handle that has a ball mount as part of the hardware that's also interesting for this appplication. I just have no interest in using an aluminum grab bar as it'd be unforgiving in an accident...

CMMCNC_ICON_large.jpg

Last edited:

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for posting your info.
You've probably seen their design...

Yeah, I was pretty much going to buy it had I not discovered the access to the studs. Like I said, I just really dont like the hoop on their setup and use my pocket all the time. I didn't want to mess with the function of the pocket.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
They've got an aluminum grab handle that has a ball mount as part of the hardware that's also interesting for this appplication. I just have no interest in using an aluminum grab bar as it'd be unforgiving in an accident...

I bet if you called CMM they could make a ball bolt that just replaces the factory grab handle bolt.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
On September 12, 2013 I spoke to Travis at Vector Offroad about the next generation JK E-Dock. He told me that it was just a matter of making the jigs to weld up the assembly. At least the story is the same 4 months later which means they're probably not any closer to making the new product.

That is exactly what I was told a couple weeks ago. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath on it making production.

Yeah, I was pretty much going to buy it had I not discovered the access to the studs. Like I said, I just really dont like the hoop on their setup and use my pocket all the time. I didn't want to mess with the function of the pocket.

Where I see value in the hoop is that I want to hang a Nexus 7 off of the bar and have it sit in front of my stock radio face. Without the hoop I'd need a RAM clamp, an extender, then another mount to attach it to the tablet case. I think with that many parts it would wiggle and move more than I'd like. I figured that with the hoop all I'd need was a clamp and something to attach it to the case. I don't really use the pocket much so losing it wouldn't be a huge deal but having it would also be nice.

I also looked at CMM but there is no way I'm going to spend $200+ on a chrome grab bar.I haven't any need for it and feel like it would have the same movement issues. I am already using the Cool Tech CB mic mount that attaches with the left bolt on the grab bar anyway.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Finally got around to mounting my UV5R using one of my brackets. I ended up buying a 1" split collar out of aluminum and modifying both it and the bracket to suit my home brew dash bar. Mounts very secure, I may need to look for a 90* antenna connector as the cable kind of annoys me. As is it is only for off highway use, and eventually I'll have a dedicated radio in the jeep.

All machined and ready for assembly
aqa4amy9.jpg

And mounted up (sorry for the crummy cell shots)
ru5y5eha.jpg

te2epubu.jpg

ahave3ad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Did a very quick out and back yesterday with the radio and phone mounted, no issues. My RAM mount for the iPad hasn't come in yet. Should be here next week. Then I've got 130 miles of desert plus a couple hundred highway miles that should be a good indication of the stability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Got my RAM mount today and yard with installing it. I ended up ordering a la carte to get what I wanted. I bought the double I bolt mount and the longest arm they make. It ends up being perfect for co driver but is limited for driver use. I'm ok with this as iPad use will be co driver responsibility. I can run the same nav apps on my phone if I'm going solo. Plus this keeps the tablet out of my view and keeps me legal.

There is a bit of flex with the overhung weight. Not bad at all but just a bit. I'll see how it does off-road next weekend.

Limited driver use

e2ygyte3.jpg

Co driver cockpit
5ajarejy.jpg

Overall
y6uby2az.jpg

Septu

Explorer
How's the ipad mount setup for movement? I know my Nexux7 setup moves a lot due to the mount I'm using (Cooltech).

nnnnnate

Adventurer
How about a reverse picture of the mount on your bar to the back of the iPad. I really want to get something like this for my Nexus 7.

ventura911

Adventurer
Looks good! A word of caution, though: that mounting location places the iPad between the airbag and the passenger and will be a danger should the airbag deploy. If you can, you might want to align it more along the center stack to minimize the hazard.

Here's my setup with the Vector Offroad e-dock:

image.jpg

I've moved it even closer to the center since that photo was taken and still have access to most of the radio controls. It's angled toward the driver and is only used for navigation when driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior