2011-2014 JK dash accessory mount Proof of Concept

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Spent the afternoon making a proof of concept for mounting accessories such as GPS, phone, Radio head, etc...
It's a 1" bar running across the dash of my jeep. I made steel standoffs that thread onto existing studs under the top of the dash.

I also modified some 1" rifle scope mounts I had lying around to clamp the tube.

I'll probably replace the EMT conduit with some aluminum tube in the future, but first I need to load the bar up with a few common items and see how it holds up.

2u8ydemu.jpg

3usu2y4e.jpg

abeduje8.jpg

yhagere5.jpg

agesavub.jpg

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Wouldn't mind seeing more options like this. I would just make sure the bar diameter is the standard size for mounts. I'd also consider making it longer to go from speaker to speaker.

Hopefully it holds up well.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Wouldn't mind seeing more options like this. I would just make sure the bar diameter is the standard size for mounts. I'd also consider making it longer to go from speaker to speaker.

Hopefully it holds up well.

Most of the RAM mounts are 0.5" - 1.5" capable. When I replace the tube with aluminum I'll make it about 3-4" longer on each end to go all the way across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weaselox

Observer
quick question, have you had to do any defrost with this installed? Wondering if it deflects the air flow to the windshield. Obviously, being in Tucson, you aren't having to do defrost as much as the folks in the northern climates.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
quick question, have you had to do any defrost with this installed? Wondering if it deflects the air flow to the windshield. Obviously, being in Tucson, you aren't having to do defrost as much as the folks in the northern climates.

Yeah, being in Tucson its not very often I need the defrost. I did turn it on for you though the other morning to check and yes, the airflow does hit the bar, but it still seems like it gets to the windshield well. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to actually try it this winter. Though we've been in the 70's so far :sombrero:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Looks good! Someone sold a bar like this for the older models, correct?

I like the idea, probably not something I would use personally though. Mostly because I don't like things mounted in my field of vision but I don't like accessories and stuff visible. I still can't believe my dad hasn't had all of his radios and aprs junk ripped off of his dash, the way it's all out in the open.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Something to keep in mind is legality of stuff in the view of the windshield. Here in Kalifornistan, there is a certain size of screen or the like that can be attached to or within view of the windshield- dealt with that stuff at a company I used to work for.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I made steel standoffs that thread onto existing studs under the top of the dash.

Are these something that you had previously installed or are the studs there from the factory. I am really intrigued but this design. I'm trying to figure out how to do temporary install of a Nexus 7 for navigation only when I am out exploring. I don't want it hard mounted and would like to be able to get it resting at or near the factory radio. I imagine that by piecing some RAM mounts together I could get things exactly where I want them and out of the windshield space. The Ram Mount Tough Claw looks like it would be a great way to get accessories attached to the bar.

As far as the bar obstructing my view, I think it would be negligible if at all. Being tall, my field of vision is high enough over the dash I would think the only view that would be blocked is of my hood.

Any updates or progress?

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Looks good! Someone sold a bar like this for the older models, correct?
I like the idea, probably not something I would use personally though. Mostly because I don't like things mounted in my field of vision but I don't like accessories and stuff visible. I still can't believe my dad hasn't had all of his radios and aprs junk ripped off of his dash, the way it's all out in the open.
Yes. Vector and I believe another company make a similar product. I intend to merely use this while on a trip. For DD duties it will remain accessory free. I would say the best anti-theft device is not leaving anything of value in the car, much less visible. The most expensive thing I leave in the jeep is my kids car seat.

Something to keep in mind is legality of stuff in the view of the windshield. Here in Kalifornistan, there is a certain size of screen or the like that can be attached to or within view of the windshield- dealt with that stuff at a company I used to work for.

As above, the stuff will only be mounted while on a trip. So I plan on having my phone near my side (GPS size) and the HAM head unit in the middle (smaller than GPS). The iPad will be mounted on the passenger side, and will actually be mounted quite low as I wouldn't want to block my view.

I've got some clamps being cut now. After I machine them and figure some things out, I'll report back with a few installed accessories.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Went tithe supply house today and picked up a 1" aluminum tube. So much nicer than the EMT and came already black anodized.

7yhududa.jpg

They also sell red, blue, green, and gold tubes I stayed with black.

vuzy7epa.jpg

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Modified an old case clip to fit my new phone and mounted it to the bar today. Just used a couple hose clamps. Not the prettiest install but it's very secure. The holster will stay and the phone just clicks in and out.

6a8a5ysy.jpg

ehy7y6an.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I like what you've done there.

I'm very curious what you mounted the bar to? I see two bars running down the defroster vents - what do they attach to? I assume you had to take apart the whole dash, correct? Do you have any pics of how those bars are mounted and held in place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles