Switcheroo - 1 Bored Clerk's 2013 Tacoma Build

NetDep

Adventurer
Great looking truck, awesome ideas and very clever writing!! Instant sub for ideas and because it's fun to chuckle as I read!!

Thanks & welcome -- looking forward to lots of pics and that camper build -- WOW!!!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Great looking truck, awesome ideas and very clever writing!! Instant sub for ideas and because it's fun to chuckle as I read!!

Thanks & welcome -- looking forward to lots of pics and that camper build -- WOW!!!

Thanks NetDep! The camper build will be fun/epic, I'm sure. Funny thing is that I'm less worried about the camper build than my planned front bumper build. It's either going to be a fantastic double rainbow unicorn win or an epic flaming fail! :campfire:

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
SUPs in WA? BRRRR!

It was 36 degrees (F) when that loaded truck photo was taken! We've gone out 4 times since Jan, 1. :victory:

We're getting married soon in Hawaii (Kailua-Kona)...can't wait to sample some warm Hawaiian surf! Oregon coast is always full wetsuit and booties...and, often, hoods and gloves too. I can't even imagine surfing in trunks.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Don't do it! You'll never want to get into the Oregon ocean again!

Looking forward to this build. I want those tires.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Don't do it! You'll never want to get into the Oregon ocean again!

Looking forward to this build. I want those tires.

Haha...we have a hard time doing two-day surf trips because of how miserable it is to slide into a cold, wet wetsuit.

So far, the tires are great for DD duty. The load range C tires have a nice compliant sidewall that keeps the ride comfy. We'll see how the sidewalls hold up over time. I had read about people thinking these tires wandered a lot and were miserable in corners. I haven't found that to be true at all...very similar to stock rugged trails in that regard. Alignment specs may have more to do with that than these tires, IMO. I see a lot of people setting toe a 0 degrees...that makes vehicles very darty on the freeway but make them turn in super sharp in the corners. A very slight amount of toe will greatly reduce wandering at the sacrifice of initial turn-in. My old turbo miata had 0 toe and had crazy awesome turn-in but it was darty on the freeway.

Anyway, as soon as my slider build is done, (which is also delaying the full mounting of my Relentless skid set) I'll be able to confidently go wheeling and try them in more varied terrain.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Cool, thanks for the info. The selection of good ATs in that size that aren't an LT or load range E is abysmal. By summer they will be mine!

And congrats on getting married! Lots of good things ahead of you.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Great build thread!

So far, the tires are great for DD duty...

I'm curious how these work out for you long term. When they first hit the market, many people were surprised the siping wasn't full depth on the tread lugs. Do you know if that's still the case? A coworker of mine wore through the siping in less than a year after installing the tires, and the second winter they were like hockey pucks.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Most factory siped tires that I've seen don't have full depth siping to my eye (except studless ice tires and other hardcore winter specific tires). The DuraTracs may have shallower siping than other tires (unconfirmed) but I'm not too worried about it. Even without siping, they should be at least as good as similarly worn KM2s. That's how I look at it, anyway.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Even without siping, they should be at least as good as similarly worn KM2s. That's how I look at it, anyway.

While this is true, I prefer not to run mud tires in the winter. So I'd just like to read your feedback on how they do as they wear a bit. I'm a bit of a tire whore, so I'm always looking for the next thing.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I hear ya. I've used mud tires a lot...didn't care for the BFG AT but didn't want to go to another full mud tire. I'll keep this thread updated as these wear. We've had such a mild winter...not really any snow to deal with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Applejack

Explorer
I have 265/75 E range Duratracs on my 4runner and have 27k miles on them now. Currently about 40-45% life. These have been the best tires I have ever had, bar none! I have been nothing but impressed by these tires except that I still do not care too much for how they look. I hope you like yours as I much as I have liked mine!

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
That's great to hear! I'm pretty sure my next set of tires will be 255/85 R16 so I may only have this one set of Duratracs. I'll probably love them and then be bummed that I can't get them in the size I want. :(

Wainiha

Explorer
I jumped in at Agate beach with no wetsuit. Yikes. Icy, dark, with seals and greatwhites. We just had a nice 30ft. swell.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Haha...sounds about right for agate beach...any time of year! 30ft swell is a little over my skill level. ; ) 3 foot waves are where I live. This whole surfing thing is really hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke