atlas or stak

98dango

Expedition Leader
I know not many hear are up on this but a few are.

The superduty is finally getting worked on. This truck has been stuck in 4wd going on 8000 miles.
With it being the primary offroad truck and my 39" irocks sitting hear I want gear selection.

My current computer shifted transfercase is broken and stuck in 4x4 not a big problem in Montana in the winter. I have just un locked the hubs and gone with it.

So I need to replace it I have had dual transfercases in the past love it. I don't see multiple gear options being bad in this heavy truck.

The use of my superduty is everything to and from work drive to moab,haul,quads,wood,hunting and must be reliable. I know its bigger than most on hear but 40s 5:13 gears 60/10.5 and arb lockers I can do pretty much any thing.

So dose any one hear have any experience with either case.

jdinevens

Adventurer
find Kowboy he has an atlas 4 in his super duty, otherwise I haven't seen a lot of the aftermarket TCs going in full size trucks used in an overland capacity, mostly for crawling.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I can swap in a.nv271 manual shift case. That fixes the problem as I half to buy a case regardless.

It dose not give me a second low range. In my past rigs I have had dual cases so 3 low range options.
My last Toyota s10 pile had 2.28 low and then a 4.7 case giving me 3 low options. The control was amasing. Low rang in my super is not bad but at times I would like one lower. But still keeping an in between low.

Minx

I'm running the Atlas 4 Speed both on highway and offroad and love it. Built like a tank and can handle abuse. It's pushing Toyo 40 x 15.5 x 20 tires through 5.38 (diff gears). One of the best investments I've ever made.

IMAG1285.jpg

IMAG1294.jpg

oiler

Atlas, without a doubt. It has the best track record by far and offers the most options. I have had a 2 speed 4.3:1 for 10 years and it has been great. I wish that the 4 speed was available at that time, as that is what I would have picked instead.

toddz69

Explorer
I've had a 4 speed Atlas in my Bronco for about 7-8 years now. Operation has been flawless. I've had occasional issues with leakage from the speedo gear hole in the tailhousing but that's about it.

Todd Z.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well that is plenty to cement the purchase of a 4 speed. I can't see just going 2 speed I don't know if I will ever use super low but it will be there. Any info in what gear options i should go for l.

2000 f 250 ccsb 5.4 4r100 40s 5:13 in the diffs.

01tundra

Explorer
Atlas 4-speed.

I've had Atlas 2 & 4-speeds and put over 50k miles on each with no issues at all.

Not sure about now, but I have witnessed a few Stak's stuck in gear or not shifting and warranty work was like pulling teeth. The few people I've witnessed running stacks hated them.

I would recommend you talking to the guys at Advanced Adapters about gearing options, they are very knowledgeable and should be able to point you in the right direction for your intended application & use.

P2140103.jpg

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
Atlas.

The 2 speed is plenty for a daily driven vehicle. Great for a vehicle that is driven on the road.

Stak got a bad rep a couple years back. Don't know if they've fixed the issue but its kinda turned me off on them.

I hope to have a 2 speed Atlas one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles