anyone bedline the interior

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
Can anyone tell me how bed liner looks ontop of diamont plate? The floor in my Jeep is steel diamond plate and I absolutely can not keep a coating on it. I thought about using the Upol Raptor everyone is raving about, but don't want to drop the coin on it only to not be happy with the way it looks over the diamonds.

1morebike

Adventurer
just ordered some al's her of amazon for half what it cost. just need to wire wheel the inside and do a lot of prep.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
A few years ago one of my buddies and I did the entire interior of a Dodge Ram Charger in Herculiner. What a disappointment and waste of money that was! We spent a full weekend doing prep work then about died from the fumes while applying it. It smelled like horrendous sewer gas or something. To make it worse it did nothing for noise control or heat transfer then it badly flaked off in the cargo area and floor boards. I doubt our prep work was the reason it flaked off as we were very thorough in prepping and cleaning. We are just of the opinion Herculiner isn't that great of a product.

On the other hand, I had the interior of my truck Rhinolined about 3 year ago after doing some rust repair to the 30+ year old floor. I did it mainly for rust proofing and the hope of noise reduction. I personally do not feel bed liner alone is enough to keep heat and noise at bay in a closed cab vehicle you spend a lot of time in after what we learned on the Ram Charger so I also added DynaMat, some patches of jute then a very thick rubber floor mat over that. I normally do not like jute in an off-road rig where water intrusion often gets into the interior but with Rhino below the jute I wasn't worried about future floor board rusting issues. In the end, it cleans up easy, no worries of rust settling in under the DynaMa/Jute and extremely quiet for 70's vintage truck but I can't say I notice any difference either way with heat transfer because I didn't have heat transfer concerns before with carpet.

For off-roadster like a Jeep, Montero, etc. a quality professionally installed bedliner like Rhino, LineX, would probably be just fine bare but I wouldn't recommend any of the DIY out of the can liners....at least not Herculiner. That Al's stuff looks pretty promising though!

This is Rhinoliner
5405102188_509d39d91e_z.jpg

Rhinoliner with DynaMat, Jute and a heavy rubber mat over it. Its pretty dang quiet for an old truck
5414463060_3c754a2305_z.jpg

WPFD1215

I saw this at a local Walmart a few weeks ago. I waited around but never did see the owner. Pictures don't really show it, but it's got some kind of liner from front to back. I thought it was painted until I got close to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 21

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I saw this at a local Walmart a few weeks ago. I waited around but never did see the owner. Pictures don't really show it, but it's got some kind of liner from front to back. I thought it was painted until I got close to it.

Almost looks like one of those overpriced custom urban cruiser Jeeps from boutique shops like Starwood Motors

east_tn_81

Adventurer
If you can spray lizard skin on the undercarriage to keep the heat and sound down. Then just rhino line the inside cab.

1morebike

Adventurer
i thought i would update this. the job is done! it was so much more work then i thought but totally worth it. i ended up using 3 layers of als heat and noise deadener and the three layers of ale liner in black. i did end up rolling it on but it was fine. here are some pics, but it was hard to get finished one to look good. i have had it done for a few months now and it seems great. rocks hitting the bottom sound like gun shots but other then that no huge deal. when it gets dirty i vacuum it and spray and wipe with some simple green and looks new again.IMG_0820.JPGIMG_0819.JPG

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
A friend of mine lined almost the entire vehicle (a modified Taco) and I couldn't believe how much weight it added to the vehicle. Lifting the hood was dramatically heavier. Something else to consider.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I did the interior of my XJ several years ago. Like others, I did it after I got a fair amount of water inside the cabin. I really liked it in the cargo area but in the passenger area for your feet it was kind of a bummer. First thing was the heat, XJ transmissions get super hot and without the carpet insulation the driver and front passenger got hot feet. Next was the noise, every single little tiny pebble sounded like a baseball hitting the floor pan. My final thing I didn't like was in the winter the snow would melt off my boots and water would puddle up, then freeze solid into an ice slick before the next morning which made it a bit of a pain to drive until it all melted again.

I don't regret doing it, but some husky liners or something would have been nice on top of it. I'll post some pics later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz