Bear Lake Idaho to Kaycee Wyoming

Rot Box

Explorer
Headed towards Hole In The Wall and the red rocks reveal themselves to everyone's surprise. Looks a lot like southern Utah.

More than once I've stopped at some random spot in WY scratching my head while thinking this sure does look like So. Utah LOL.

Great report. Looks like good times :coffeedrink:

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
You guys covered a ton of awesome and diverse ground. Looks like it was a great trip. Thanks for sharing!

Howski

Excellent trip and trip report. This is what it's all about. How many days total was the trip? Couldn't seem to find it

Woodsman

Adventurer
Excellent trip and trip report. This is what it's all about. How many days total was the trip? Couldn't seem to find it

I left Indiana on Friday afternoon and arrived to meet with the group around 8:30am Sunday. We hit the road/trail soon thereafter and meandered across the state all week and departed our last campsite Sunday morning to return home. I arrived back in Indiana late Monday night. Total for me was seven nights camping with the group or a total of ten nights including to and from Indiana.

addicted56

Adventurer
That is one of the best trip reports I have read in awhile. Very beautiful country. Very sad to see those towns destroyed by big oil. I guess that is what keeps our big pigs moving down the road though so you can see places like that.

seeNik48

Adventurer
What a great adventure. Thank-you for such a detailed TR. We plan to explore Western Wyoming this fall. What was your route? Can you share a google map? We are photographers who enjoy the backroads. I absolutely hate I80. Or, any interstate.

Foy

Explorer
Sour gas and old railroad towns

That is one of the best trip reports I have read in awhile. Very beautiful country. Very sad to see those towns destroyed by big oil. I guess that is what keeps our big pigs moving down the road though so you can see places like that.

The juxtaposition of the "poison gas" warning sign and the nearly uninhabited town is unfortunate as it can lead to cause and effect assumptions. The gas field where the sign is located is the Madden field, one of many gas fields within the Wind River Basin. Some Madden field production, indeed some natural gas production all over the world, is "sour gas". Sour gas contains some hydrogen sulfide and must be treated before being piped to market. The treatment normally takes place at gas plant facilities close by the production wellheads. The hydrogen sulfide within natural gas is indeed toxic in high quantities, leading to increased warnings of its mere presence within pipelines and treatment plant facilities in the areas of production and treatment. Hydrogen sulfide gas is also present, in potentially toxic concentrations, in sewer systems, shallow groundwater aquifers, and natural swamps and bogs. There are no known instances of towns having been destroyed by hydrogen sulfide gas or its natural gas carrier, however. The town photograph is more likely an old railroad or ranch town, hundreds and hundreds of which dot the Western US landscape.

Foy

Woodsman

Adventurer
The juxtaposition of the "poison gas" warning sign and the nearly uninhabited town is unfortunate as it can lead to cause and effect assumptions. The gas field where the sign is located is the Madden field, one of many gas fields within the Wind River Basin. Some Madden field production, indeed some natural gas production all over the world, is "sour gas". Sour gas contains some hydrogen sulfide and must be treated before being piped to market. The treatment normally takes place at gas plant facilities close by the production wellheads. The hydrogen sulfide within natural gas is indeed toxic in high quantities, leading to increased warnings of its mere presence within pipelines and treatment plant facilities in the areas of production and treatment. Hydrogen sulfide gas is also present, in potentially toxic concentrations, in sewer systems, shallow groundwater aquifers, and natural swamps and bogs. There are no known instances of towns having been destroyed by hydrogen sulfide gas or its natural gas carrier, however. The town photograph is more likely an old railroad or ranch town, hundreds and hundreds of which dot the Western US landscape.

Foy

I think you are correct in expanding on this. The link I posted with the concrete fence pic probably better explains the economics of that little town and it gradual demise is probably more about its middle-of-nowhere location than anything else.

Last edited:

Foy

Explorer
Hadn't noticed............

.......the link to the history of Lost Cabin, WY, or the TRAIN in the background of the small town now mostly shut-down. Thanks for pointing out the link, and causing me to look more closely at the small town picture.

Here on the East Coast, particularly close to or at the coast, shallow groundwaters are often plagued with a strong "rotten egg" odor. That's hydrogen sulfide gas. They're often gassy with organic methane, too, occasionally to such a degree that the water system needs to be vented to prevent accumulations which could catch fire or explode. All of this hundreds and hundreds of miles from any gas wells. Who knew?

I also first noticed the Moose Drool you enjoyed in Dubois while re-scrolling through the pics. Love me some Moose Drool, and every time I'm in Montana, I make sure some goes into the cooler. Big Sky Brewing puts out some fine brew, for sure.

Foy

Matthew57892

I feel I seen that FJ in Casper, did you happen to pass through on this trip? I remember driving by and seein a logo on the side. I could be wrong..it was at the hwy 220/CY AVE and Wyoming blvd turning north.

Very nice read!

Woodsman

Adventurer
I wish I had the time to visit Casper but, no, we did not pass through on this trip.

Maybe another day. I know there are some great makers of western style furniture in Casper which I'd like to check out.

mastersryan

Adventurer
great read and TR! Seems like a very nice trip. Do you have more info on where you camped at Bear Lake? I will be checking that area out this summer while on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles