My Colorado Travelings

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great thread and pictures thanks! You hit on a couple of things that were definitely how I felt in some of the trips you have done:

I climbed Longs in 1980 (when I was 18) and the lack of acclimating hit me hard (I had just come from MA). I remember the guys in their 60’s blowing past me in the boulder field like I was standing still. (well some times I was!) Ha!

I was about 1/2 way up through the Homestretch I just did not feel I could make it any further. A guy coming down stopped for a second and I told him I was done. He told me “Don’t you even THINK about giving up. I don’t care what you have to do…just get to the top. You will never forgive yourself.” I didn’t and I would love to thank him for it to this day. The views have remained in my mind long after the pain left my legs and lungs.

I have an almost identical picture looking from near the keyhole back to the boulder field. There was a red tent in the boulder field the day I climbed and its cool to point it out as a speck to people when I show them the pics.

Rabbit Ears is a cool climb for sure. I spent one fall just over Stormy Peaks from your route. Great part of CO.

I love the old ghost towns. Alta was one of my favorites. I marvel at the beauty around them during the summer but cringe at the thought of the guys working there in the winter. Yikes! Or in those high peak thunderstorms!

I think you were very wise to back off your first attempt on (was it?) Elbert when you heard the snow cracking. I think too many times people think of the time and effort they have invested and ignore safety letting that decision drive them further into dangerous situations that end badly. Smart move from my perspective. You can always come back (and you did right? I may have read through that part too quickly) and do it another time.

Great post thanks for taking the time to write it up and share all the adventures with us.

TripLeader

Explorer
August 2014 in Colorado

I was again lucky enough to visit Colorado this summer. I started out at Mt. of the Holy Cross. I camped at the campsite at the Half Moon Creek Trailhead. I spent two nights at altitude before attempting Holy Cross with a friend from Texas I met up with that morning.
P1110357 (2).jpg
_____
I did not make it to the top. I was sucking too much air. I got a good six or seven mile hike in and some great views of the mountain.
P1110339 (2).jpg
_____
...And an old cabin near the trail.
P1110334 (2).jpg
_____
I gave up on Holy Cross and moved on with the trip.
_____
I didn't do very many driving trails, and certainly nothing that could be considered hard. I took Westin Pass to head toward Mt. Sherman.
P1110370 (2).jpg
_____
A barn along the way.
P1110372 (2).jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2014-

I got a good, early start on Sherman.
_____
The summit in the distance. Sherman is said to be the only CO 14er that has had an aircraft land on it's summit.
P1110417 (2).jpg
_____
The summit.
P1110420 (2).jpg
_____
Heading back down. The ridgeline was busy with people coming up.
P1110436 (2).jpg
_____
The mines at such a high altitude were impressive.
P1110459 (2).jpg
_____
Looking back at Sherman, on the way down.
P1110463 (2).jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2014-

I spent some time in the town of Fairplay while camped by Sherman. I did my laundry, found a shower, and bought some books at thrift shop. This was along their historic downtown:
P1110472 (2).jpg
_____
I moved on to try the "DeCaLiBron," which is four 14ers all accessible one hike: Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln and Bross. However, Bross is private property and access is currently denied to hikers.
_____
The forecast was rainy. On the first morning I was going to make my attempt, it was raining by the time I got to the trailhead. I decided to pass on that day's attempt. The next day was fair and I got another good, early, pre-dawn start. This was my view as I headed up toward Democrat:
P1110491 (2).jpg
_____
I made it to Democrat's summit.
P1110510 (2).jpg
_____
Headed toward Cameron and Lincoln. It was tough because you had to drop down and give up a lot of elevation you just climbed, so you could re-climb it on the opposite side of the saddle between the mountains.
P1110521 (2).jpg
_____
On the summit of Cameron. You can see a hiker in the distance going toward Bross.
P1110526 (2).jpg
_____
It was still only about 9:45 a.m., but the weather was looking like it was going to get bad. I could see Lincoln with hikers on it in the distance, but I went back down. It turned out to not rain. I could have made Lincoln, but I made the right choice for me. Although there were plenty of other hikers around, I was "solo" and I did not risk my safety.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2014-

On the way back down, I could see some things that weren't visible in my headlamp on the way up. Also the weather looked so much more beautiful than it had on top of Cameron.
P1110530 (2).jpg
_____
The weather was rainy the next few days. I tried to get Lincoln, but it was not to be. I did some driving on some roads that went quite high in the area. This was a carving I barely noticed on a tree.
P1110536 (2).jpg
_____
One of the other things I came across was Windy Ridge (in Pike National Forest, near Alma). It had wonderful, gnarled, 4000 year-old Bristlecone Pines. I really enjoyed hiking around it.
P1110552 (2).jpg
_____
Another Bristlecone with the town of Alma below.
P1110553 (2).jpg
_____
From there I stayed in the same campsite, but set my goals on Quandary Peak. If you've followed this thread, then you will recall I've tried it twice before (in snow conditions) and never summited it.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2014-

It was good weather on Quandary, although a little on the brisk side.
P1110593 (2).jpg
_____
I had been in Colorado for over a week and I was feeling good in the thin air. I made it to the top.
P1110602 (2).jpg
_____
I spent about 15 minutes on the summit. The wind made it uncomfortable.
_____
The view starting back down.
P1110625 (2).jpg
_____
About 10 mountain goats were spread out grazing on my way down.
P1110694 (2).jpg

P1110719 (2).jpg

P1110747 (2).jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2014-

That was the basic itinerary of my trip. The rain hampered me, but it was still a good time. I read some good books in camp and made the most of my time. On the way home, I stopped at Mt. Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas. I'll put the details of that in my Kansas thread.
_____
Thanks for reading, I hope you found it enjoyable.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
August 2015 in Colorado

We took a family vacation to Colorado this summer. We started off at Mesa Verde National Park.
-----
Our first tour was of Cliff Palace.
P1150044.jpg

P1150048.jpg

P1150062.jpg
-----
The next tour was of Balcony House.
DSCF7717.jpg

P1150100.jpg

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2015-

Up next was the self-guided tour at Spruce Tree House.
-----
We then went on the tour at Long House. The tram that used to shuttle visitors to the edge of the cliff was no longer in service. It made for a longer hike than expected, and a longer day than expected, as we did all four tours on the same day.
P1150136.jpg

P1150139.jpg

P1150143.jpg

P1150147.jpg
-----
While camped at Mesa Verde, we went to Durango. We spent the morning rafting on the Animas River. We were on it about one week before the EPA workers spilled the mine waste into it. It really hit close to home, as our rafting guide was a nice fellow who told us how he worked at a local restaurant at night to make ends meet. I wonder how many people in his situation got in financial trouble because of someone else's error.
-----
We headed out to Lake City. We camped along the road to the Nellie Creek Trailhead.
P1150183.jpg
-----
We drove the Alpine Loop, first going over Cinnamon Pass and making an obligatory stop at Animas Forks.
P1150192.jpg
-----
We drove back to camp over Engineer Pass.
P1150198.JPG

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
-August 2015-

We packed up our camp by Lake City.
P1150200.jpg
-----
We stopped at Great Sand Dunes National Park on the way back. It was a quick week, and makes for a short update.
-----
I hope to make it back to Colorado later this year... Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

upndown

Adventurer
Several years ago heading home from Montana, we stopped at a little cafe for breakfast, met a couple from BC touring the states on their motorcycle. The gal asked us if we were stopping at Mesa Verde? Didn't even know about it. Boy am I glad we met those folks! What an amazing place. Very Spiritual! We had the same feeling we had visiting Canyon de Chelly and most ruins we've been to.

TripLeader

Explorer
Several years ago heading home from Montana, we stopped at a little cafe for breakfast, met a couple from BC touring the states on their motorcycle. The gal asked us if we were stopping at Mesa Verde? Didn't even know about it. Boy am I glad we met those folks! What an amazing place. Very Spiritual! We had the same feeling we had visiting Canyon de Chelly and most ruins we've been to.
We went to two ranger talks while camped at Mesa Verde. Both brought up Pueblo Bonito in Chaco Canyon, Arizona. It is now on my list.
-----
http://www.nps.gov/chcu/planyourvisit/pueblo-bonito.htm

upndown

Adventurer
Chaco Canyon is definitely on my bucket list. PBS did a program on Chaco Canyon, narrated by Robert Redford. Amazing insights as well as footage of all the canyon structures. Makes you sit back and wonder!

We are fortunate in AZ to have so many Ruins in any part of the state. Years ago I spent a lot of time camping in the Bradshaw Mtns. Around an old mining town..Crown King. One day while fishing at the lake I decided to do some exploring. Not knowing wher to go I just drove, came to what looked like a trailhead and started there. Hiked thru an amazing Manzanita forest, then started up the hill. Stopped at a spot overlooking Black Canyon City, while sitting on a boulder I looked down and spotted a pottery shard, then another, they we're everywhere. Got up and started really looking around, I was sitting on an old ruin.

Went up to the old saloon and started asking questions. Turns out that's called South Fort, there's another one called North Fort, which I sought out on another trip. Also many mines to explore. That mountain has kept me exploring for years.

TripLeader

Explorer
Some of the things the rangers said about Chaco Canyon that struck me as amazing (if I'm remembering what I learned correctly):
-----
The biggest dwelling in Mesa Verde has over 100 rooms. Pueblo Bonito has over 700 rooms.
-----
The graves of two people found in Chaco Canyon had over half the known turquoise believed to be in America a the time of the civilization.
-----
The Ancestral Puebloans traded Macaw birds, and there is evidence they had some of the live birds there. The closest wild Macaws lived in Central America.
-----
Some of the architecture was built to line up with astronomical events.
I will have to see if that documentary is on Netflix or Youtube. Also, something else similar, is Mesa Verde ties in with the story of Everett Ruess. I find his story very interesting and would recommend the book Finding Everett Ruess by David Roberts. It's a similar story (and mystery) along the same lines as Into the Wild by John Krakauer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94