Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

ILIAN

Adventurer
See if you can find a set of Duratracks and try them out. A lot of other people have comented on how good they are on deep snow. They are snow rated tires with big and deep lugs, looks like they were designed for deep snow. On slick plowed roads they are probably the same as any all terrain tire, they don't have many sipes like some other snow tires.

McBride

Adventurer
That's always the dilemma. Siping wins on packed snow and ice, lugs win in the deep stuff and A/T's do best on the mixed dirt terrain and the highway. I'm running the new BFG A/T KO2's. They handle fast dirt roads and pavement incredibly well. With the new increased siping they do very good in acceleration and stopping on packed snow. Lateral resistance on packed snow is only marginal, kind of like a mud terrain. That's where I need the chains - lateral resistance on packed snow and maximum performance in deep snow and mud. Keep in mind I'm talking about driving dirt roads in the mountains - lots of climbing, descending and off camber scenarios.

These tires are pretty new - about 4K miles on them so they aren't going anywhere soon. I expect I'll get 10k miles out of them before they get torn up and worn down.

I've seen the Duratracs - they look nice.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I loved my BFG A/T K01's, but in the snotty UT mud they became worthless as the lugs wouldn't toss the goop(yes, I should have aired down more, had a herd of cattle approaching from behind quickly and we had to get up the hill before they clogged Skutumpah Rd again!)!
DSCN0714_mod.jpg

I have Toyo M/T's on the van and I'm loving them. Nice and quiet amazingly, will fling the mud out. I can't speak about mileage on them but I'm assuming they won't last as long as the A/T's.
A tiny bit of time in snow and so far ok at street pressures.

I want chains mainly for snow/ice, but could potentially use them in really nasty mud, even with the M/T's.

McBride

Adventurer
Chains work great in the mud. I've used them many times just to get up this one particular hill on the way to my house... And out of the ditch.

The KO2's do pretty good in the mud. I've been pleasantly surprised by their performance. Like on hard packed snow their lateral resistance is marginal at best - that's aired up though.

The Toyos are super nice mud terrains - pretty heavy (and heavy duty).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Chains work great in the mud. I've used them many times just to get up this one particular hill on the way to my house... And out of the ditch.

The KO2's do pretty good in the mud. I've been pleasantly surprised by their performance. Like on hard packed snow their lateral resistance is marginal at best - that's aired up though.

The Toyos are super nice mud terrains - pretty heavy (and heavy duty).

Toyo M/T's are one of the only tire to have the load capacity for these big rigs.

merctaf

I just had a set of 275/55/20 Toyo Open Country MT tires installed on my 2011 G550. They are noticeably louder than the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tires that they replaced. I changed my tires out cause I wanted a more aggressive looking tire. I have only had them on for a couple of days, but I believe the BF Goodrich All Terrains drive better.
a7134a667dfb872662e432c67797f93d.jpg
2b6d4e162cda3e69cc4aca37be4fdc43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBride

Adventurer
Man, that's a great looking G. There's something about a black G with tint.

Those tires are beasts! There gonna be great in mud, rocks and unpacked snow.

I know what you mean about the ride though. I experienced the opposite thing when I switched from mud terrains to the KO2'S - ride was improved notably.

merctaf

McBride,
Thank you. I am thinking of going back to the K02s since I kept them as a back up and they are only a few months old. I just didn't like how the K02 tires offered very little rim protection as you can see in the attached picture.
ba2ed2739736638cc1c66a27e152e23d.jpg

McBride

Adventurer
I see what you mean. Very little tire sidewall due to large rim diameter.

That's a problem with modern OEM rims. They're just too big to allow the tire to "bellow out" enough to adequately protect the rim.

The easiest solution is to find some 16" wheels and put on the same O.D. tire. The best solution is to get a smaller wheel and go up a tire size or two. Sidewall = added suspension + performance versatility based on air pressure. I have 16" Hutchinson beadlocks with 35" KO2's on the camper and I change tire pressures as needed - makes all the difference. 8 -10" of sidewall!

FWIW we just did a brutal rally raid in a G. Big jumps, deep mud, deep sand, high speeds, hard hits, extreme heat. We had a fresh set of stock KO2's aired between 10-15 psi the whole way and they rocked. They are very good at holding a bead and were great all around. Very impressive tire.

William

merctaf

I have a 30mm spring spacer lift on it. I just saw that BFG makes a 285/55/20 AT K02 tire (I originally had a set of 275/55/20 installed). I am thinking the extra width could provide a little more rim protection.

McBride

Adventurer
I think you'd have plenty of clearance.

Maybe have the tire store mount one up and put it on the G before you bite the bullet - make sure it is enough of a gain to make it worthwhile.

rlynch356

Defyota
Mud terrain tire are going to be louder than the All Terrain (KO2's)..

in my experience it depends what you are actually using them for if the trade off is worth it...., i do run KM2's on my defender daily driver and they are a lot louder than my KO's but for me worth it, off road.. on road its fine.. if you know what i mean..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne