Filson Jackets input.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I am looking to get a jacket. I have decided to get a Filson. The problem is which one. I have narrowed my choices to Either the Stealth rain coat with double layers on the shoulders or the Double Mackinaw. Both will be getting a wool liner. I want something that I can wear in three seasons. So I do not know if I should get the rain coat to wear year round with or without the liner. Will the double cape wool be to hot year round or not water resistant enough to wear in the rain. I want it to be multi purpose.

dusmw

Look at the waterfowl jacket, waxed cotton, short, and with wool vest or liner willkeep you dry and warm regardlessof weather. I have two of their jackets and several vests. Given the quality they will last a long time! If they dont live up to your expectations they will make it right .

Drover

Adventurer
I have a few Filson coats. Ranging from tin cruiser to the double mackinaw you mentioned. The double mackinaw will not be a 3 season coat. It's most comfortable under 40 degrees. The most versatile would be tin jacket with zip in liner. They used to sell long sleeve wool and shelter cloth liners. I just checked the website, and it looks like they only have vest liners available now. I used to wear the tin jacket as a raincoat even on rainy summer days. Paired with the wool liner, and appropriate under garment it was comfortable to -0. The system works well, the waxed cotton stops the wind and the wool against your body keeps you warm.
For what you describe as your needs , I would stay away from the double mackinaw.

rlynch356

Defyota
i am looking at the Tin field Jacket along with a liner (or 2) - which shelter cloth liner are you referring to?
I see the wool mackinaw and the moleskin vests and the mackinaw fill sleeve liner as the options.
my intent is a 4 season jacket for NC.

luckily i have a dealer locally so can try on everything first.

Drover

Adventurer
i am looking at the Tin field Jacket along with a liner (or 2) - which shelter cloth liner are you referring to?
I see the wool mackinaw and the moleskin vests and the mackinaw fill sleeve liner as the options.
my intent is a 4 season jacket for NC.

luckily i have a dealer locally so can try on everything first.
Sorry, my mistake. Shelter cloth is an exterior option. I meant moleskin. The tin cloth or shelter cloth exterior paired with a moleskin will be comfortable down to 25-30. The wool liner will be too warm, if you're active. I used to wear these in the field when I was running my construction company. Like I said in previous post , with wool liner you'll be good to 0-5 ? If your in extreme cold for long durations, the tin cloth gets really stiff, the wax freezes. The shelter cloth is more pliable. Not as good water proof protection though.

Boss Hog

Observer
I have both the tin cloth and the double mackinaw. I wear the tin cloth for getting dirty outside (camping, yard work, dog park) and I find it warm with layering down to about 32 degrees. I wear my double mack cruiser between 40 and 15 degrees comfortably. To work everyday, a night on the town, it looks great and I get lots of compliments. Anything colder than 15 degrees, and I'm throwing on a parka if the sun isn't up. The double mackinaw ran a little big for me in my usual size (42) so I went down one size for a better fit.

rlynch356

Defyota
Ended up with the tin field jacket and a wool vest liner. So far perfect, but I may get the wool sleeved liner as well for wearing with dress shirts to work. A double Mack cruiser may be on the list as well.

I wore my Grandfathers Mackinaw red/black plaid to my last job interview! I also wear my blue wool mid-weight long sleeve liner solo often instead of a fleece. My shelter cloth coat is used year round, summer without the liner and in winter I zip in the long sleeve wool liner. My moleskin vest is a great dress vest and since I had my business name embroidered on it it looks very dapper.

You done good kid, "Might as well have the best".

Too bad about the lack of long sleeve liners, but Filson has become somewhat more trendy and expensive for the sake of being expensive.

peneumbra

Explorer
I have the double mac and, even here at 7,000 feet in the winter, it's... very warm. Too warm, to be honest, for most of the winter.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Well tonight I made a choice. I bought both the Oil cloth and the double mackinaw. As well as an Oilcloth for my wife also. I think that we can use the oil cloth more then the wool. but the mackinaw will be great on my trip to the Iditarod in Nome. Do you think the Mackinaw will be enough with a wool liner and additional wool garments? The average temperature when we go will be 10 degree above to 10 below.

gm13

Adventurer
Well tonight I made a choice. I bought both the Oil cloth and the double mackinaw. As well as an Oilcloth for my wife also. I think that we can use the oil cloth more then the wool. but the mackinaw will be great on my trip to the Iditarod in Nome. Do you think the Mackinaw will be enough with a wool liner and additional wool garments? The average temperature when we go will be 10 degree above to 10 below.

At -10 I go for lots o' loft, like down, especially if standing around(maybe with drink in hand) and not actually pulling one of those sleds. I think you'd have to pile on so many layers of wool that it would be difficult to move. YMMV

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Good idea with the loft. I have a down liner that I can use with it. One thing that came up last night at a meeting for this trip. The head organizer tells us that blue jeans and long sleeve shirts will be fine. The reasoning is that they will pick us up and drive us everywhere. So we will not be in the cold. I might as well stay home then. I want to walk around and see the place. So I an trying to dress appropriately. She said to dress like you would to go snow skiing. Active VS Nonactive.

htchmn

Observer
Having lived in Anchorage Ak from 72 to 80 and having sold Filson clothing I thing that you may find that you
might end up being very toasty while wearing the double mac if you are very active. That said have some other
items to put on or take off depending on your activity .

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I will always have a daypack with extra layers. For just walking around and exploring. Would a set of the removable traction chain for your boots be advisable or useless?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier