Host Truck camper feedback

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Howdy, Deansco - it absolutely does help.

I took a look at some of your other postings, and it looks like we're at the point that you were at in April or so. We're seriously considering the FG/Host setup, so I'm looking at trucks, heading up to Bend, etc. Did you wind up getting a new FG, or a used one?

The reason I'm asking is that we're looking at a relatively new FG, but with the Duonic...which seems to still be a bit sketchy. I just got off the phone with the local FG service people, and the used vehicle I'm going to take a look at hasn't had much, if any, recall work done. Certainly none of the transmission work or replacements that seem to be the norm for these, at least until things get sorted out. And I thought that the new trucks have a hi/lo range xfer box?

Our purposing seems to be very much like yours - light trail work, forest and logging roads, desert camping, etc. Plus (go figure) we're going to be heading up to Alaska also to visit the kids and grandkids.

What was your reasoning behind eliminating the rear slide? Weight? Complexity that was unneeded?

Did Host take care of that punch list?

Thanks for any info...come to think of it I should probably just start a new thread dealing with what we're trying to do.

Deansco

Observer
We bought a brand new Fuso. I believe the low range is not offered in North America.

We wanted a table that allowed us to face each other (we play a lot of games). With the third slide in that was not possible. By removing the third slide we have a three person table with two facing forward and one facing back. That still leaves room to get into the bathroom. The table and seats would collide with the sofa when everything was closed. We did not get a TV or the faux fireplace so there was no real need for the sofa.

I have not been back to Bend to have them fix the list yet. If it was closer I would have been there right away. They will fix it all before the warranty is over.

Also I was very concerned about weight before purchasing. I am happy to report that with two of us, a dog, 3/4 water and fuel and some grey and black water, fully outfitted for camping with our one spare tire we weighed in at 12,600, well below the 14,050 GVW. I have not weighed each axle separately yet.

Czechsix

Ok, that makes sense then.

Like you, we're two adults, and usually have two dogs with us (large dogs, at that). When we go visit the Bend facility, I'm sure we'll have lots to think about. We'll head up there within the next month or two.

Have you had any issues with the truck itself? Any recall work done?

java

Expedition Leader
Maybe this inst the right place to ask, but I swear I have seen a F450 (?) based RV from host. Not a slide in, but an actual pass thru RV, but I don't see it anywhere on their site.

Czechsix

Howdy again, Deansco - any updates? We're still a couple of months away from making the trip to Bend, so still collecting information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior