Host Truck camper feedback

Deansco

Observer
I am going to look at the Host Outback camper in a couple of weeks and am wondering if anyone out there has a Host and has used it on dirt roads and mild off-road situations? Specifically I am wondering about durability of the construction (inside and out) after use on washboard roads and twisting from off-road use? Any issues or kudos? Would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks in advance.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Dean,
I had to look up the Host Outback Camper to find out what it's all about.
1. You buy the Outback camper installed on a Fuso cab and chassis or...buy the truck and have Host attach the Camper. This means it is not a truck camper, since it is not removable. They must use a tray or 3-point or diamond 4-point attaching system which must be purchased with the Outback. They had better as the Fuso frame is very flexie. And breakie. Just ask Doug.
2. This is an Aussie design, top to bottom.
3. Truck and camping box: $173K.
After trying to find out ANY specifications like weight, center of balance, construction techniques, height/width/length I came up empty. Precious little info available.
My impression is: this is one heavy rig. Off-road Truck campers in the U.S. go the other way: lighter is better.
I don't know because they don't give that info out, but the Aussie system is tried and true. They are way ahead of U.S. mfgrs in developing off-road camper box trucks. Historically, Host makes some of the heaviest truck Campers around. in the past, there has been a disconnect between 'Host' and 'off-road'.
Host just needs a marketing director with an informational website and,
all will be revealed.
The other thing: I'm not so sure you are just not trolling as your personal file says nothing about experience with campers or trucks. I hope i'm rong.
People with no experience at all tend to go a much lower price way at the beginning when choosing an off-road truck camper, unless they came into a big inheritance or deal.
regards, as always, jefe

Deansco

Observer
Dean,
I had to look up the Host Outback Camper to find out what it's all about.
1. You buy the Outback camper installed on a Fuso cab and chassis or...buy the truck and have Host attach the Camper. This means it is not a truck camper, since it is not removable. They must use a tray or 3-point or diamond 4-point attaching system which must be purchased with the Outback. They had better as the Fuso frame is very flexie. And breakie. Just ask Doug.

2. This is an Aussie design, top to bottom.

After trying to find out ANY specifications like weight, center of balance, construction techniques, height/width/length I came up empty. Precious little info available.

The other thing: I'm not so sure you are just not trolling as your personal file says nothing about experience with campers or trucks. I hope i'm rong.

People with no experience at all tend to go a much lower price way at the beginning when choosing an off-road truck camper, unless they came into a big inheritance or deal.
regards, as always, jefe

I am aware of what the Outback is. They are built in conjunction with EarthCruiser and use their Fuso modifications and mounting system. The Host web site has limited information including wet weight of the vehicle, dimensions, capacities etc. http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/Expedition/outback_explorer.html

EarthCruiser is Aussie, Host is not but EarthCruiser has imported them into Australia.

I don't know what trolling is and don't understand why I am being accused of something just for posting a question on the forum. I'll take the high road: I have had a VW doka with a roof top tent for the last 5-6 years. Before that I had another DoKa and three Vanagons. In total I have been camping in VWs for about 20 years. We are looking for something we can camp in not around as well as a few more creature comforts. I have been to the Earthroamer factory, saw the ATW/Sportsmobile Global Warrior and EarthCruiser at SEMA and have trips planned to see the Host, Earthcruiser, Global Warrior and Tiger.

I was definitely not looking for advice about whether I should or could afford the vehicles.

I was hoping someone who had driven some miles with a Host pickup camper could speak to their durability when used on dirt roads or light off-road.

Thanks, Dean

Deansco

Observer
Thanks familyvan. I had seen that thread and read it through. You are right it is very helpful and one of the reasons I scheduled the trip to Bend.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Dean,
I apologize. I was wrong. You do have a bona fide querrie to make. I re-read your original post and find you are just trying to get some 1st hand experience from folks who have used Host products. Fair enough. I was confused with the 'Outback' part.
I'm not sure how many on EP actually own a Host truck camper. As i said, it's anathema to expo's style. I would advise you to take a side trip over to RV.net, truck camper section.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27.cfm
There is a large body of Host owners (maybe the largest anywhere) who would be very happy to describe the good, the bad, and the ugly of taking a Host off-road and tell you of it's quality and sturdiness. I have camped with a couple of these guys and in my view, the Host is certainly is the Cadillac of Campers. Some of them have them installed on 5500 series trucks, a testament to the sheer mass and weight of a triple slide TC.
It was also instructive to hear you come from a VWBus/Campmobile/RTT style of camping.
About 1964 I was ready to drop the hammer on a 1960 VW bus with pancake, 6 cyl. Corvair engine! The owner couldn't get it started, so I backed out. He wanted $500. Another time I test drove and was ready to buy a rare beast indeed, a 1957 Combie; (all those windows!) 36 neck-snapping H.P. up Hill street in Signal Hill CA. I was down to 1st gear on pavement, and had second thoughts.
Again, please except my apologies for my indiscression.
jeff reynolds aka jefe

Deansco

Observer
Jefe,

Thanks for the response. I will join and post my question over at RV.net. That looks like a good lead.

Dean

Stumper92

Dean I am one of the few folks on here that owns a Host Truck Camper. Although I typically use my camper more as a base camp than actually overlanding with it, I can probably make a few comments concerning its construction. Jefe is correct in that they are, in my opinion, a very heavy, and well outfitted camper. Since my camper is a basement model, I can actually see a good bit of the framework and how it is welded together. One of the reasons I bought the Host is because I was impressed with its overall construction. I have hauled it over some pretty rough roads and bumpy terrain and have had no problems with structural integrity, or any interior components failing. However, I certainly have not carried it over the terrain that Jefe regularly takes his camper over. I think you are on the correct track by visiting the manufacturing facilities and doing your homework before making the big purchase. If you have any other general questions concerning Host, feel free to shoot me a PM. Good Luck!

mdmead

Adventurer
I've got some friends who own a triple-slide Host camper and are less than impressed after owning it a few years. I'm trying to remember all the details, but it seems they have had some plumbing and structural issues. They felt the support from the factory regarding their problems wasn't what it should have been, but I'm not sure if their expectations were realistic. (Not sure what their warranty was and the time period their problems occurred.) Just make sure you do your due diligence.

That being said, it is a fabulous camper from a usability perspective! Crazy heavy, but they have it on a F-350 4x4 crew-cab dually which hauls it well. (Never mind they then hook on a 6-place enclosed snowmobile trailer - YIKES!) I was amazed at the livability; I swear they have more room than in our 24ft motorhome!

AMBOT

Adventurer
I found this site:

http://www.outbackexplorer.net/

which talks about an upcoming 4x4 video, but I fear it is long over due.

Definitely interested in your experience there. Most concerns seem to be around the slide-outs, it would be great to learn if they are doing anything special for offroad considerations.

ib14a69

Observer
i have a 990 arctic fox camper and i am thinking about going with a host next time as well. Anymore info from people would be great.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Any updates from users?

I'd really like to hear some things too, about the Host units. Our style is primarily base camping, but being able to get back into unused, quiet areas is a big plus. We don't rocket around from site to site. Unfortunately, lots of travel happens over washboard, and I have a real concern about durability.

Deansco

Observer
Any updates from users?

I am not sure I have enough miles/experience to be of much help but I will tell you what I know so far. I have about 3000 miles on my Host Outback so far. Most of the miles have been highway miles as I had to pick it up in Bend and drive back to Jackson, WY and have since driven it to Fresno and back to have ATW USA/Sportsmobile West add some stuff to it (front bumper and winch, new seats, console, NAV/Stereo, backup camera, parabolic suspension etc). My overall impression is that I made the correct choice for us. We love the size of the camper (we got side entry version but deleted the third slide (rear sliding sofa). My partner pushed for a dry bath and it is a nice feature. With the slides out I can pass her to go to another part of the camper, a definite plus. The camper is not noisy in the cab. No cabinet doors opening, things falling out, creaks or moans so far. The slides have worked flawlessly and I no longer worry about them as I did. There are some silly little things that are not as they should be: Bathroom sliding lock doesn't line up, one piece of trim inside is not fully glued, one speaker is not working, one LED inside light is not working properly. These were all discovered on our first night of camping on the way home with the rig so it is likely it left the factory that way, which is pretty disappointing. I like the Fuso a lot as it is easy to drive, good visability and has a pretty tight turning radius. It could use a little more power (but I drive a 1990 VW truck so it isn't too bad) and a low range. I have driven it on forest service roads, including washboards, and then off them a bit to camp and been happy with it. We have done no major off-roading in it, in fact I have not had to go into 4wd yet. We are getting used to it now (how to pack it, what to bring, how long we can go with out filling everything back up/empty things out etc) and plan a long Alaska trip in about a year and a half when our youngest finishes high school. Hope this helps some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior