Long Range Emergency Communications Set

abruzzi

Adventurer
The thing that amuses me about GMRS is all those Walmart/best buy blister pack FRS radios do FRS and some GMRS. They have two PTT buttons, one for high power and one for low, and some text in the manual, printed at about 4 point font saying that the GMRS power requires a license. I guarantee that 90% of the purchasers look at the part of the booklet that says "these channels can be used with high power" pick one of the GMRS channels, and use the high power PTT button exclusively. So, anyone at the FCC that is surprised that most GMRS users aren't properly licensed, needs to have their head checked. That I'm sure is why there is effectively no enforcement of the license requirement.

In my opinion, (take it or leave it...) GMRS should migrate to being a partially license free version of the 2m band. Do the following:

- license required only for the operation of repeaters
- channelized with fixed simplex and repeater channels
- 50w max, mobile and ht available

They already have most of what they need to implement something like that. It would also be an effective replacement for CB (unless you want skip) with out having some of the limitations of doing 11 meters mobile (or ht!)

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
Going off memory here, but I believe the GMRS handhelds you can buy at Walmart and other retail stores have a half watt limit with fixed antennas. That would make them legal for use without the license. I purchased a pair of Midland FRS/GMRS handhelds and the packaging had a label that read "High power use on certain frequencies may require a license", but since they are within the output requirement, they are perfectly legal without license.

I believe they present it that way on purpose so buyers will have an impression that they are buying something they shouldn't have without a license. Sly marketing to make some believe their outrageous distance claims.

4x4junkie

Explorer
If I'm not mistaken, any operation on channels 15-22 requires a license at any power level (only channels 1-14 are license-free).

I agree though, their marketing really stretches the truth. I'll also bet that 99.9% of the people who buy them don't apply for the license (which I think an application form is included with most units too).

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
I was mistaken. I thought I read somewhere that anything below half watt on GMRS was usable without a license. Here is what the FCC has to say about it:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved for both FRS and GMRS, and if you limit your operations to the FRS channels with a maximum power of ½ watt effective radiated power, you are not required to have a license. (Note that some dual-service radios transmit with higher power on FRS channels 1 through 7; these radios can be used without a license only on FRS channels 8 through 14.)"

In 2010, the FCC proposed to remove GMRS individual licensing which could be why they are now readily available.
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-106A1.pdf

Personally, I don't really care if they remove license requirements for low watt GMRS. Maybe keep high output equipment under license. Sure, some people will abuse it, but it's a better system if more people use it.

abruzzi

Adventurer
I'm not sure the wattages on the set I have, but they say the following in the manual:

Note: If you are on an FRS only channel (see Channels and Frequencies
table) the radio will only use low power when either portion of the On/Off button is pressed

Which leads me to think that it is something in excess of FRS specs, and was the basis of my comment that that effectively drives users to select GMRS frequencies, licensed or not.

Geof

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles