2001 Sequoia aka: Project Black Sheep

Wheels

And after all that, my truck looks stock! LOL... :coffeedrink:

So I pick up a set of 4Runner Trail Edition rims, Not sure what tire or size yet. But fuel economy will be important as this is now my daily driver.

kens pics iphone 028.jpg

Nice frame Jig! Love a budget project.

Thanks! Yes ghetto and cheap.. Sponsored my build... :) So I made due with what I had, The goal was also not to spend more than a complete Sequoia, therefore my money can be spent on the fun stuff!

Great budget project. The effort is undoubtedly praiseworthy. So nice to have all that space to work in as well.

An observation and question regarding your re-framerail work; kudos for being able to move things around with the tools you have and is that effort complete? Any possible pictures of the areas on the framerail showing the bent location?

Keep it up!

Thanks! Ya it was a struggle to do it they way I did. If I had to do it again I probably would have a pro straighten it. It took me a long time to tweak it to where I was happy. As a pro would have spent an hour on a job like this. But it was fun at times and I learnt a lot. Sorry for the crappy pic but this is the only one I have right now, I should be able to take a better shot next time I'm under the truck. But if you look at the top large hole it the picture. It was more like an oval before, After straightening i used that hole to pound out the frame walls to give it back its boxed look and structure. It still has a wave or two but its much better than what it was. I also did not use any heat as I was afraid that it would weaken the structure. Sorry I did not outline the hole but me and computers disagree too often!
kens pics iphone 013.jpg

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Thanks for the picture and info as I think I understand.

So that is fresh POR-15 on the top? I'm unsure of the orientation on the picture, sorry.

Is there any thought to add material in order to put strength back into the frame rail? So I was curious if you were done, done to the point of putting the other stuff back together and build up. It appears you're still working it.

Edit: Oh and you're not changing out the front IFS right? I just saw pics on previous page where it looks like Black Sheep is all put together.

Thanks! Ya it was a struggle to do it they way I did. If I had to do it again I probably would have a pro straighten it. It took me a long time to tweak it to where I was happy. As a pro would have spent an hour on a job like this. But it was fun at times and I learnt a lot. Sorry for the crappy pic but this is the only one I have right now, I should be able to take a better shot next time I'm under the truck. But if you look at the top large hole it the picture. It was more like an oval before, After straightening i used that hole to pound out the frame walls to give it back its boxed look and structure. It still has a wave or two but its much better than what it was. I also did not use any heat as I was afraid that it would weaken the structure. Sorry I did not outline the hole but me and computers disagree too often!
View attachment 212433

Last edited:
285 75 R17 is what I would go with

Any tire recommendations to go with that size?

Thanks for the picture and info as I think I understand.

So that is fresh POR-15 on the top? I'm unsure of the orientation on the picture, sorry.

Is there any thought to add material in order to put strength back into the frame rail? So I was curious if you were done, done to the point of putting the other stuff back together and build up. It appears you're still working it.

Edit: Oh and you're not changing out the front IFS right? I just saw pics on previous page where it looks like Black Sheep is all put together.

Yes that is wet POR-15 on the top. And no I will not be getting rid of my IFS for a number of reasons. I've included a picture with the proper orientation of my right outer frame rail. I've marked where most of the damage was.

As for adding more material for strength, Since I'm sticking with the IFS these rail do not need to be beefed up, but for crash protection and I'm also building a winch bumper for the front I will be welding in some plate steel on top of the frame rail to tie in my bumper mounts and strengthen the bent rail. (Future Bumper Mount in Red)

Attachments

• kens pics iphone 013.jpg
    kens pics iphone 013.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 27

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Any tire recommendations to go with that size?

What type of tires do you run? MT? AT? For AT I would go with Toyo Open Country AT2. This size comes as the extreme version, so slightly larger voids and deeper tread

The Toyo MT and BFG MT both also come in this size.

It measures out to 33.8" x 11.2"

What type of tires do you run? MT? AT? For AT I would go with Toyo Open Country AT2. This size comes as the extreme version, so slightly larger voids and deeper tread

The Toyo MT and BFG MT both also come in this size.

It measures out to 33.8" x 11.2"

I love the look of MT's but AT's is where I will be going. I do like the look and I've heard good things about the Toyo Open Country AT2 (thanks for the suggestion). Something about the KM2's makes me want them, But I think a bit over kill for me.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I love the look of MT's but AT's is where I will be going. I do like the look and I've heard good things about the Toyo Open Country AT2 (thanks for the suggestion). Something about the KM2's makes me want them, But I think a bit over kill for me.

I agree with you, not sure if cooper has any tires in this size, they have some nice AT options

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I agree with you, not sure if cooper has any tires in this size, they have some nice AT options

I'm on set #3 of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. EXCELLENT tire. My dad just put a set of Hankook Dynapro A/T-Ms on his 11 Sierra and we've been impressed with them, as well.

I'm on set #3 of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s. EXCELLENT tire. My dad just put a set of Hankook Dynapro A/T-Ms on his 11 Sierra and we've been impressed with them, as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the coopers.. I'm not sure they carry a 285/75r17?

Ok, hear is the dreamer in me, I know I was thinking A/T's But lately I'm really digging the pizza cutter look. I like the fact that the contact patch will be narrower, but sadly in the 255/80r17 size that I was thinking they only come in the BFG KM2's.

Thoughts?

First paved road trip

Just before the weekend hit i changed all the fluids and went on a trip to Vancouver for the weekend.

kens pics iphone 002.jpg

Just fueling up in the mountains.

kens pics iphone 005.jpg

All cleaned up in Van city, Truck got a nice wash while I went to the mall. Which one would you choose? :)

kens pics iphone 007.jpg

So all in all I did a 2400km round trip in four days, It was an amazing shake down for the truck. And I loved every bit of it, great power on the high way, loads of room (as I was visiting family at one point, I had Nine people in there :Wow1:). Pretty good on gas as I averaged about 14.4l/ 100km Highway. I did get a p0441 code in Vancouver but I believe it was a gas cap seal issue (which I cleared in Van) as there is no light now. On my way back from Van, Bilzzard like conditions got crazy plus driving at night got a little hairy ( I know I must get more and better lighting). But I got home safe in the big tree!

Unfortunately the next morning on my way to work, I stopped for a kid crossing the road. Sequoia 1 Honda Accord 0. Kid is safe!

kens pics iphone 023.jpg

deadbeat son

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the coopers.. I'm not sure they carry a 285/75r17?

Ok, hear is the dreamer in me, I know I was thinking A/T's But lately I'm really digging the pizza cutter look. I like the fact that the contact patch will be narrower, but sadly in the 255/80r17 size that I was thinking they only come in the BFG KM2's.

Thoughts?

I believe that size is due soon in the Cooper ST Maxx.

Sorry about the accident, but that's good news the kid is safe!

huntsonora

Explorer
I am thrilled with my Goodyear duratracs. I hated them for 3000 miles until they firmed up a bit and not I love em!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz