"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For some of the TrailTop concepts I've drawn, different radius corner pieces are needed. For example, the TrailDog concept uses both 60-degree and 30-degree corners:

TrailDogDiamond1_zps4c102bfe.jpg

Until now, I haven't made any 30 or 60 degree molds or corners. The other day I was making a few fiberglass parts for another project, so since I was making the fiberglass mess anyway I molded two TrailTop 12" radius 90-degree corners to serve as the mold masters for a 30- and 60-degree parts. Clockwise from top left, here's the process for making a 60-degree corner:

1. The 90-degree part fresh out of the mold, just rough trimmed for now.

2. A 30-degree section to be cut out has been marked with tape.

3. The section is cut out and the halves are test-fit.

4. Once the joint has been cleaned up a bit for fit, the halves are taped together on the outside with masking tape, and joined on the inside with fiberglass. Also in this photo is a 30-degree corner which has already been bonded back together, but awaiting a little body filler to hide the joint.

Making60Degree_zpsc19261d2.jpg

And here are both the new 30- and 60-degree corner masters:

60and30Angles_zpsf678a407.jpg

The next step for these parts would be to make a mold so more could be made, but instead of using these new parts to make a mold, for a one-off project the parts could be used as-is - after fiberglassing the two halves of a cut part back together it's plenty strong enough to be used as is, so custom angles or other one-off parts for a special TrailTop design could just be made by modifying stock parts like this.

Also, a curved outer skin would be needed to go around the radii, I've shown those parts in white in this drawing:

60and30AngleSkin_zpsda5fe02a.jpg

I've already made a mold and molded a 90-degree radius skin piece, and that would be used with these shorter angles as well. The curved skin piece would be cut to match the angle, and to replace the joining tab that was be cut off, a piece of 1/4" plywood would be epoxied or bolted in place to form a new tab. In the photo below I've clamped a 60-degree corner to the curved skin piece and marked the cut line; the piece cut off would be 30 degrees, so it would be used to skin a 30-degree corner.

60AngleSkin_zpsadcc2702.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So far I'm very happy with the RescueIt coating I used on the TrailTop cover for my yellow trailer.

RescueItCover_zpse981bc36.jpg

But since the trailer lives most of the time in the garage, or when it is outside the tarp cover is on it, I won't get a good long-term test of the coating. A month or so ago when I applied the cover to the trailer top, I zip-tied a sample of it to a railing. I plan to leave it out all winter and I'll report back on it sometime in the spring.

The sample in this photo is fiberglass. The white part on the left side is bare, and most of the right side has been coated with primer before shooting the RescueIt. The chip on the left side is where I was able to scrape some of the RescueIt off the bare fiberglass several days after it was applied; I tried the same fingernail test on the RescueIt that was applied over the primer but was unable to scratch it. This photo was taken this morning, so about 30 days after it was strapped to the railing. Obviously not a long term test, so I'll post an update in the spring after the sample has been out all winter.

RescueItTest30Day_zpsc8df539e.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When would a kits be ready to buy?

In order for kits to be available, some company or person has to sign up to market the kits; I just do this as a hobby and I don't sell anything. But I'm busy with other projects now, so I really don't have time to work with a company to get these into production. I'm keeping the TrailTop molds in case I ever want to make more TrailTop parts for my own projects or for someone else if a special project comes along, but at the moment I have no plans to try to get the TrailTop system into production.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Too bad. I really like the versatility of your design, you could always patent what you have done and allow a third party to produce it under license. Then all you do is wait for your monthly check.

Sent via carrier pigeon

fireballmatt

I molded a bunch of TrailTop parts today, here they are curing in the molds. A 36" curve and an 8' straight section:

TrailTopPartsMolded1_zpse1405bc1.jpg

And a 12" curved section:

TrailTopPartsMolded2_zps279e1c90.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'll pop them out of the molds, trim up the ragged edges, and mock them up into a teardrop shape.

I know this is bringing back an old post from February, but I'm curious what your layup schedule was for this? Is that 4/6/10oz biaxial/triaxial cloth only? Is there any matting or are you using 38.5/23.5oz cloth instead?

Also, is there any reason you decided not to vacuum bag the parts? I was taught to always vacuum bag anything that is structural in nature to avoid the possibility of voids that might undermine the strength of the part, but if that's a step that can be skipped it would definitely save time and headaches!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know this is bringing back an old post from February, but I'm curious what your layup schedule was for this? Is that 4/6/10oz biaxial/triaxial cloth only? Is there any matting or are you using 38.5/23.5oz cloth instead?

Also, is there any reason you decided not to vacuum bag the parts? I was taught to always vacuum bag anything that is structural in nature to avoid the possibility of voids that might undermine the strength of the part, but if that's a step that can be skipped it would definitely save time and headaches!

Vacuum bagging would be an excellent idea for production parts; I've got another technique I use when I mold prototype parts that prevents voids from forming.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Several months ago when I finished the TrailTop trailer cover with Olympic RescueIT, I put a sample piece outside for weather testing. It's been snowed on and rained on quite a bit over the months, and while it's way too early to call this a long-term test, the initial results are excellent - there's no deterioration of the sample whatsoever, and the finish is still very tightly bonded to the fiberglass sample. So far I'm very impressed with RescueIt as a coating for trailer covers and trailer beds. I'll report again in a few months.

RescueItSnow2_zps3cfd6fa9.jpg

The trailer spends most of its time in the garage, or when I need the garage bay it's stored outside with the fitted tarp on it, so of course it still looks like it did in these photos I took right after I applied the RescueIt.

RescueItCover_zpse981bc36.jpg

rotorhdret

Brother this is one heck of a thread!!! I've learned a lot and wish I had a million dollars because these would be in production!! I like the #12&13 but I would like to have storage under the bunk and on a 5x9 or 5x10 trailer. You my friend are an artist!!! If you ever want to do a test build over here on the east coast I'm game! Let me know and I know it would be a hoot!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rotorhdret

I almost forgot would like to be able to put. RTT for my young'n and maybe work out a/c for my bride if she felt it was required. O heck I live in Florida I'm quite sure it would become required!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Brother this is one heck of a thread!!! I've learned a lot and wish I had a million dollars because these would be in production!! I like the #12&13 but I would like to have storage under the bunk and on a 5x9 or 5x10 trailer. You my friend are an artist!!! If you ever want to do a test build over here on the east coast I'm game! Let me know and I know it would be a hoot!!!

Thank you very much. It wouldn't take a million, the TrailTop System could be put in production for an investment of $3000-$4000. I don't have any plans to put it in production though, I'm too busy with other projects now. But I am keeping all the molds here in case I find a reason to mold more parts... I had a lot of fun building the two TrailTop prototypes, I'll probably do some more someday.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After 5 months of literally the worst winter on record since records started being kept over 100 years ago in my part of the country, today I ventured out to check on the RescueIt long term test panel. I'm happy to report there's no deterioration whatsoever; the finish is still very tightly adhered to the fiberglass and does not scratch off.

RescueItTest5Month_zps17vtoyvz.jpg

I'll leave the panel strapped to the railing through the summer to see how it fares longer term, but so far I'm very impressed with RescueIt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94