Exploring the backcountry of ROMANIA

Hi everybody

First, I apologize for my approximate english. I've nothing against it ;)
We did this little trip last summer, in August. The goal of this trip was to do a reco of new tracks and areas (to me) in order to organize a new tour for a group of enthusiasts in August 2014.

First a few panoramic pictures (1920 px wide)
DSCN1809-1920.jpgDSCN1562-1920.jpgDSCN1730-1920.jpgDSCN1784-1920.jpgDSCN2292-1920.jpg

So we left Switzerland my wife and I in our Nissan Patrol. Romania is at about 1600km from our place. This is an easy and pretty boring stretch of mainly highway, except the last 150 km on little country roads. We have to enter Austria first, then up to Germany, then Austria again, then we have to cross Hungaria from west to east. There is usually 2 routes to choose from when coming / going from west to east: western Austria, on little regular roads with speed limits of 80 km/h with lots of tunnels (it's a nice stretch of road in the mountains) or the big highways up to Munich in Germany… The first one is better, as the highways around Munich are most of time saturated (chi va piano va sano e va lontano ;) )

In Romania, we explored mainly 4 mountainous areas:
- Apuseni, with its sweet undulating hills, vast forest and very preserved rural life
- Southern Carpathian mountains: higher mountains ( up to 2544m ), with the highest concentration of wolves and braun bears of Europe. This is also a paradise for berries pickers.
- Maramures, near the border of Ukraine, high mountains and a lot of forests.
- Bucovina, land of rolling hills, famous for its painted monasteries.

This trip confirmed me that I love this piece of land (do you say "neck of the wood" ?) and its inhabitants. The landscapes are very peaceful and wild.
Romania's backcountry is still in the 19th century for some aspects. Some kind of self-sufficient areas… untared trails are everywhere. Horses are still widely used everyday for work. There is still vast areas where only 4x4 vehicles can go ( or horses ).
This is touching to meet people there, far from the "modern life". Those are simple, but so friendly and generous. And yes, relaxed most of time... timbers to cut and bring back to the villages with horses, some sheep to watch, the garden to take care of, some jams to do... I feel better knowing there is still such places in our world, no too far.
Well, that was a great trip, exploring both location and time.

We drove about 3200km in Romania, and about 2000 of them where off-road. That was a 3 weeks trip.

Here is the first little movie

All the best
Nico

Last edited:

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Wonderful adventure and video. I really enjoyed the video. Sure like your Nissan Patrol. Lot of the places you went look like the Colorado Rockies where I live. Thanks for posting.

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Nico, thanks for sharing! Looks like a great adventure! The video made me hungry for some lamb!
-AK

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Very enjoyable videos! Thanks for showing some countryside I know nothing about. Very beautiful and great to see the people, architecture and landscape. :)

faulco

Observer
Anyone would think I'm following you around Nico! Nice to see you on here!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody for your feed-backs. I appreciate.
Faulco: funny to read you here. small world. But why do we have to use forums on other continents to exchange ?! :D

skids

Observer
Great video, thinking of going to Romania next year. I use "neck of the woods" lol

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior