Starting a home build FG and looking for lots of advice.

lehel1

Adventurer
hello

welcome, enjoy your new build. looking forward to seeing your project coming along.

cheers lehel

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Paint is done.

gedu7atu.jpg

e2y6e3am.jpg

reqy3yqe.jpg

apybajat.jpg

Last edited:

ericvs

Wow paint looks great. I am looking forward to seeing your build. Keep updating this thread, lots of people watching, but not necessarily posting.
Do you have any photos of that frybrid system? What are your tank plans?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Thanks guys, too much work! Lots of stuff on the Frybrid site http://www.frybrid.com/ but will take some picks as I install it in the tank. Cutting 14 gauge SS now for the tank and will weld it up in the next couple of days after work. Going to be about 110gls with 10 to 15 for diesel , I'm extending the frame 38 inches so the camper will be 14 feet, fitting the tank between the frame aft of the rear axle. Will take some picks of the tank and fit as it comes together.

DzlToy

Explorer
While I am not sure what your overhang was before, adding 40 inches to the rear subframe could be an issue, especially if you are adding a lot of weight back there. Diesel is about 7 pounds per gallon (roughly), so if you use at least that , you are looking at 800 pounds of weight for 110 gallons of oil behind your rear axle.

Departure angle could be an issue, ride height should not with the adjustability of the air bag system and the frame is plenty robust to take 800 pounds. You may need to experiment with air bag pressures and tire pressures once you are all setup in order to find the best combination.

Try to distribute and balance weight throughout the chassis as much as possible. As you use up your fuel, loosing weight on the extremties of the chassis will make a bigger difference than if that weight were lost in the middle for example.

I would use stainless for fuel if you can, aluminum would be second choice.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I am worried about weight distribution also but after talking to a few heavy truck manufacturers and frame modifiers they all say that I should be fine and countering the weight of the engine is a good thing. I am also worried about the way it will handle full compared empty, committed now so we will see.

I've been distracted lately but have finally finished the tank, here's a picture.

Has anybody used honeycomb aluminum paneling for their camper walls and ceiling? I know the insulation factors pretty low but lightweight strong and quick for the build would be its pluses in my mind.

gumura8u.jpg

abyqa6a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Going to be about 110gls with 10 to 15 for diesel
That's one hell of a tank!!!
I'm just guessing, but this tank must weigh close to 200 lbs. You probably already know this, but the back of the chassis flexes quite a bit too. Out of interest... how do you plan on mounting this tank?
Welded stainless steel does not deal well with being flexed, so rigid mounts are definitely not ideal.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
yzerejer.jpg
u9ysaryv.jpg

Kinda hard to explain but I'm extending the frame then welding on a bumper, fabricating two straps with a rubber insulator that run from the front cross member under and back to the bumper to cradle the tank. When it's done I'll post pics.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
The tank looks good, lots of work in that!

Out of curiosity, are you planning on fitting a bumper behind the tank? If so, how? Just wondering if the possibility of being rear ended has come up - obviously being diesel, it doesn't have as dire consequences as petrol/gasoline, but just a thought.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Short bumper description is above with pictures. I will be running strait veggie oil so even less voletile than diesel.

dlh62c

Explorer
.....Cutting 14 gauge SS now for the tank and will weld it up in the next couple of days after work. Going to be about 110gls with 10 to 15 for diesel.....

I see in some of your previous pictures, you've removed the stock fuel cell. So your planning on a two tank system, one for the veg-oil and you'll be starting up and shutting down on diesel? Do you plan to pre-heat the veg-oil?

Last edited:

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Yes to all. The tank I built in the pics has about 15gls sectioned off for diesel to start and purge at shut down, the third pic above shows part of the heat exchanger run off of engine coolant. The system is from a company called Frybrid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles