Help Me Decide, Air Conditioning or Not.

brp

Observer
I am currently working on my F450 + Toyota Sunrader project and I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have air conditioning.

I am looking at a Honda generator with an Edgestar 8000 BTU portable air conditioner. This AC unit goes in the cab, keeps my rig lower, and my roof from sagging.

Anyway, my girlfriend so we don't need an AC. I thought, "Great, no money buying the AC, skip the generator two, save some $$$, save some weight...."

The camper already has three 14"x14" roof vents, I will be putting powered Fantastic vents in at least two of them.

I have never really cared that I did not have AC in my ATC Bobcat camper, however nobody rides in it when we are underway.

My main concern is that the camper will get really hot when driving, or else tons of windows will need to be open, not the best at 70mph.

So...I am looking for feedback:

-Do you wish you had AC if you don't?
-Do you have AC and not use it?

I know this is pretty open ended, but I think you can tell the type of real-world insights I am looking for.

We mainly trip in Spring and Fall in the mountains, not too hot. I live in MN and it can be very hot getting from MN to CO.

Thanks

1stDeuce

Explorer
And doesn't the truck have A/C? If it does, you'll probably be comfortable with a cool breeze blowing from the vents while driving, but as soon as you stop, it may start to get a bit warm. If you have power roof vents, they may be enough. I get a pretty good breeze through the camper from just one Fantastic fan going on medium, which is fine for the little time I spend in the camper not sleeping when the weather is nice. :) (We spend very little time actually in the camper when the weather is good, so I don't see the point of having A/C. If it's so hot that I can't stand camping, I'll just stay home. And having to lug around not only the a/C but also the generator?? Remember, you're camping, not "homeing". :)

craig333

Expedition Leader
In my ten years with my camper I haven't wished I had ac one so far. That said I also don't camp in hot high humidity conditions. For an occasional uncomfortable night I don't think its worth the trouble. If hot and humid is common where you are I might change my mind.

robert

Expedition Leader
As I get older I definitely appreciate a/c more, especially for sleeping. The comment on kids was spot on too, especially if you expect her to go camping with you while pregnant.

brp

Observer
Thanks for all the input guys. I am thinking I will make provisions to install a portable AC. Then, if I regret not having AC I can easily install it.

I am planning on a Honda 1000 or 2000 generator anyways.

And we do have a 2.5 year old son and dog.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
AC yes, easier to add now than later, an you will want it later, we all wanted it later.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have only really run my AC when hooked to shore power. Since I'm in the SE having AC while in storage mode is actually more useful to me than while in use - things get mildewed awful quick here in the humid summers.

bdog1

Adventurer
Obviously when it's hot and humid you'll want it to keep everyone comfortable. Also good for noisy locations, keeps inside quiet. Good to keep dog(s) settled. Also good for rainy, stormy weather. I'm in FL it's always on!

Two of the fancy name power vents cost more than budget AC.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles