Bumper build

Benc

Explorer
Just built this bumper for a friend, still have to cut some lights in and build a grill guard, I wanted to do some thing different with the mounting brackets to make is easier to install. The tow points are hollow and the brackets slide into them and bolt from the outside. I also have tabs on the bumper that tie into the side mounts on the frame, I wasn't sure this was going to work but it did, I could lift the bumper on by my self and slide it on the brackets. Then the brackets hold the bumper in place while you bolt it. Let me know what you guys think, thanks
6ugujaqu.jpg
asenyvaz.jpg
rapege2y.jpg
ezyva2ut.jpg
ejuzumaj.jpg
tu8abyqu.jpg
qa3usynu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Very talented; I'd have probably made the tow points smaller but then I have a tendency to walk into things that stick out from my truck ex. the trailer hitch.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Looks great! I like the simplicity of it. Not a big fan of tube bumpers myself. Might have my fab guy build something similar with some reasonable headlight/grill hoops.

Benc

Explorer
Your work look good. Do you think those brackets are sturdy enough?

Thanks, The brackets are 1/4in plus there are 2 more brackets that tie to the side frame mounts. I may add a gusset from the bracket to the frame cap

Benc

Explorer
Very talented; I'd have probably made the tow points smaller but then I have a tendency to walk into things that stick out from my truck ex. the trailer hitch.
Haha, I couldn't really make them smaller because of how the bracket slides into them. I don't think they'll look so big once the grill guard is done.

Benc

Explorer
Looks great! I like the simplicity of it. Not a big fan of tube bumpers myself. Might have my fab guy build something similar with some reasonable headlight/grill hoops.

I'm going to be building a grill guard like this one on my truck
y7esuneb.jpg
supy9ybe.jpg
a8urutyn.jpg
ne2evupu.jpg

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Your work look good. Do you think those brackets are sturdy enough?

My thoughts, too. I'm sure the bracket itself is plenty stout, But to me it seems there just isn't much resistance to rotating up/down. Maybe there is something I can't see in the pictures. From my experience, things stay put best if you can extend the mount back past the body mount and tie into the frame back there with more bolts. Don't get me wrong- that bumper looks nicer than the last one I built.

Benc

Explorer
My thoughts, too. I'm sure the bracket itself is plenty stout, But to me it seems there just isn't much resistance to rotating up/down. Maybe there is something I can't see in the pictures. From my experience, things stay put best if you can extend the mount back past the body mount and tie into the frame back there with more bolts. Don't get me wrong- that bumper looks nicer than the last one I built.
The bolt you see goes though the frame and there is a tab that goes about 7in under the frame and bolts into the stock tow hook bolts. And like I said there are brackets on the bumper that bolt to the side frame mounts which arb doesn't even use. There are 10 bolts total to the frame. This is how most after market bumpers bolt on to the tacoma/4runner arb shrockworks ect. I do know what you are saying there has been a lot of problems with after market bumpers because of how high the winch is from the mounting point, but I have built a lot of bumpers , plate and tube and I can grantee this one is and can't move once it is locked down. Thanks for the feedback I guess I need to get better pics of how it mounts.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The bolt you see goes though the frame and there is a tab that goes about 7in under the frame and bolts into the stock tow hook bolts. And like I said there are brackets on the bumper that bolt to the side frame mounts which arb doesn't even use. There are 10 bolts total to the frame.

OK- Just wasn't real clear in the pictures then. Again- very nice work on the bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94