AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

Jb1rd

Explorer
You have to be kidding, I have a set of 6 Anthony Gallo's that I have been saving and wondered if they would work in a camper!!! Please please please let me know how they sound and what amp you use to power them.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
You have to be kidding, I have a set of 6 Anthony Gallo's that I have been saving and wondered if they would work in a camper!!! Please please please let me know how they sound and what amp you use to power them.

I did some testing in the shop for positioning and concluded they sound beyond awesome over head and about 8" between each other...!!!...

The amp is this one...

41DWb5n7RPL._SX300_.jpg

Mike suggest the amp (I have one too) and told him they are junk...What was junk was the speakers I though were good...Those Gallo's, powered with that $20 amp sound as good as anything I've heard...The amp will fit in that notched space in the dash, to the left of the steering wheel...It will be independent of the "house" stereo...

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
One tool I wish was available in the USA, is a combo mitersaw / tablesaw...
bosch-table-mitre-preview.jpg

Bosch, Makita and DeWalt offer them in Europe...Why not here...???...

That looks like a liability nightmare in the hands of the typical sue happy American! I'll bet that has a lot to do with it!

Back to our regularly scheduled programing. You are an artist Paul! I love your build threads. Keep up the good work!

Jb1rd

Explorer
I did some testing in the shop for positioning and concluded they sound beyond awesome over head and about 8" between each other...!!!...

The amp is this one...

41DWb5n7RPL._SX300_.jpg

Mike suggest the amp (I have one too) and told him they are junk...What was junk was the speakers I though were good...Those Gallo's, powered with that $20 amp sound as good as anything I've heard...The amp will fit in that notched space in the dash, to the left of the steering wheel...It will be independent of the "house" stereo...
Awesome can't wait to see the finished product!! Does that amp say Lepai? is that the brand? Got me fired up to find a rig!! (sold the Sprinter)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Awesome can't wait to see the finished product!! Does that amp say Lepai? is that the brand? Got me fired up to find a rig!! (sold the Sprinter)
It does and it is. Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/

Down to $18 now. And when you're there, you can read through the 1648 reviews. ;)

BTW, as will be clear later in the build, the wonder of this amp--even more than the fact it's credible for $20--is that it'll fit in the otherwise mysterious (and so far, to me, useless) cubby in the lower dash of a T1N at 8:00 relative to the steering wheel center. Though I've seen Scangauges mounted there, it's way out of your line of sight and you need to be looking at a Scangauge often when driving. It seems like it'll be perfect for something where you just need to read down and turn a knob occasionally.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'd be curious about the reasoning behind a separate House amp/system vs just wiring the regular head unit to run off the House battery.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Is this amp for just testing speaker placement or the amp to drive the house speakers? Pretty low power output. Thanks for sharing this!
The Gallo's will only be wired to the $20 amp...The 'in-dash radio' will have no connection to the Gallo's and the amp...Two separate systems... The audio input for the Gallo system will be a mini-plug or a Bluetooth device...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'd be curious about the reasoning behind a separate House amp/system vs just wiring the regular head unit to run off the House battery.
A few reasons. I'd expect impedance issues and can almost guarantee the current head end would not satisfactorily drive the Anthony Gallos. The existing head end is an older Panasonic unit which, while a huge upgrade over the OEM Sound 5 unit, is still a $100 unit with no Bluetooth, USB, SD card or AUX capabilities. So it would need to be replaced.

It can only be replaced with a single DIN unit, and the positioning is not good for using a single DIN unit with a fold-out screen, so the possible replacement head ends wouldn't be anything special . . . no chance of installing a fancy do-it-all NAV/DVD/HD etc. unit. But even if replacing the existing unit with a modest head end, I'd probably need a separate amplifier, so there's some more cost. And taking apart and putting together the Sprinter dash and running wiring around its innards is non-trivial, and even though Paul can do it about as well as anyone, he's got bigger fish to fry. This separate approach will be quick and easy and cheap, and will likely produce superior sound.

BTW, so that no one is confused . . . the Gallo/Lepai setup is just to provide optimized music for the driver, sourced through a Bluetooth receiver or a mini phono jack. The current head end will still provide AM/FM/CD for the whole cockpit, and I'll be replacing the factory dash speakers with 4" Polks later on so it will sound better. And none of this has anything to do with the "infotainment" back in the cabin, which will be an entirely separate system, basically all wireless, that will be installed after Paul finishes.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Is this amp for just testing speaker placement or the amp to drive the house speakers? Pretty low power output. Thanks for sharing this!
It'll be enough power for the use. This will be very much a near-field sort of application, so there's no question of filling any particular space with sound. Also, there's basically no LF to worry about powering, since the Nucleus Micros don't even bother with anything below 100 Hz. It's also worth considering that the van is a pretty noisy place, so even if the amp ever did clip the signal, I doubt I'd know it.
And they're decently sensitive, being rated at 89 decibels . . . which may be no great result compared to 110 db for vintage Klipschorns, but they wouldn't fit. :sombrero:

As I said above, this setup hasn't got anything to do with playing music in the van. It's more like sitting at the computer screen with speakers on either side. It's nothing that requires much output.

Wiley

Adventurer

The amp is this one...

41DWb5n7RPL._SX300_.jpg

I have the same amp and agree its great for $20. Glad I could contribute to this build thread, you are welcome.

Cole

Expedition Leader
A few reasons. I'd expect impedance issues and can almost guarantee the current head end would not satisfactorily drive the Anthony Gallos. The existing head end is an older Panasonic unit which, while a huge upgrade over the OEM Sound 5 unit, is still a $100 unit with no Bluetooth, USB, SD card or AUX capabilities. So it would need to be replaced.

It can only be replaced with a single DIN unit, and the positioning is not good for using a single DIN unit with a fold-out screen, so the possible replacement head ends wouldn't be anything special . . . no chance of installing a fancy do-it-all NAV/DVD/HD etc. unit. But even if replacing the existing unit with a modest head end, I'd probably need a separate amplifier, so there's some more cost. And taking apart and putting together the Sprinter dash and running wiring around its innards is non-trivial, and even though Paul can do it about as well as anyone, he's got bigger fish to fry. This separate approach will be quick and easy and cheap, and will likely produce superior sound.

BTW, so that no one is confused . . . the Gallo/Lepai setup is just to provide optimized music for the driver, sourced through a Bluetooth receiver or a mini phono jack. The current head end will still provide AM/FM/CD for the whole cockpit, and I'll be replacing the factory dash speakers with 4" Polks later on so it will sound better. And none of this has anything to do with the "infotainment" back in the cabin, which will be an entirely separate system, basically all wireless, that will be installed after Paul finishes.

I understand.

Couple of thoughts.

I have an 04 Sprinter. When I showed up in Maine to drive it home to Colorado the stereo (jvc) wasn't even wired up! I was able to pull it out and roc connect and even rerun some wires with no tool in about 15min. Seemed really simple to get stuff through the dash!

There are a few guys running "flip up" screens on the Sprinter forum without issue.

There are a few "off brand" single din units for pretty cheap ($100 cheap) that have gotten decent reviews. I kinda like the cheaper stuff to deter theft or at least reduce the loss amount.

Either one of these options would allow a cheap backup camera set up to be plugged in and/or external monitors. There are some fairly cheap 5 camera night vision set up a with TINY camera for RVs on ebay. They would allow you to "see out" in the middle of the night without having to go to a window!

http://reviews.cnet.com/in-dash-car-stereos/boss-bv-7335b-dvd/4505-6729_7-34981409.html

Just a couple of "flip up" screens in T1Ns I found.

12595871603_2da64c4712_o_d.jpg

12596002733_3aaaf7e0a0_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

Last weekend up in B.C. Rain, wind, traffic...

P1040737.JPG

(above) Finally, got this out of my house...

P1040738.JPG

(above) After three day's of naps, walks, beers, good sandwices and the world's best donuts, it's back to work...

The speaker bases are $1.24 each, PVC couplings...

P1040739.JPG

(above) Tablesaw cuts then sanded...

P1040740.JPG

(above) Harbor Freight fast epoxy...

P1040741.JPG

(above) As simple as that...

P1040742.JPG

(above) The Gallo's positioned...

P1040745.JPG

(above) Power on, speakers wired...

P1040746.JPG

(above) After all, it's all about the driver...

P1040746.JPG

(above) Just because I haven't seen it before doesn't mean it's original...It does sound good though...

P1040747.JPG

(above) Curb side upper, rough installed...97% this time...

P1040749.JPG

(above) The underside electrical, Part 1...

Details tomorrow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94