AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
how are the drawers standing up to use?

The hardware usually shows wear before the cases do...I've yet to see a drawer 'break'...

BTW: Your comments on Alex's Sprinter, the sharp edges stuff, slightly influenced some of the decisions on this one...Only slightly...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

P1040701.JPG

(above) Before the painting regime restarted, the drawer faces and cabinet doors could be cut...The list...I plowed through a sheet of 1/2" MDF and set the pieces aside...

P1040702.JPG

(above) Belt sanded, puttied and awaiting orbital sanding and routering...

P1040703.JPG

(above) No, the painting isn't done yet...

P1040704.JPG

(above) The walnut tabletop got the edges aligned with a belt sander and a bunch of clamps...

P1040705.JPG

(above) What happened to the box joints...???...

P1040706.JPG

(above) My van is the dry shed for the upper cabinets today...Gotta love the size of a Sprinter...!!!...

P1040707.JPG

(above) Some stuff there is done with paint...Some isn't...

P1040708.JPG

(above) Zack the Painter, got a gloss coat on his girlfriend's board after we finished for the day...It's nice that just about everything is on rolling carts...

P1040709.JPG

(above) After sanding and routering, all the drawers and drawer faces & cabinet doors got a coat of oil base primer...The drawers will be final painted white gloss and the faces will be the same color as the cabinets...

P1040710.JPG

(above) The first batch of drawer guides came...Self closing and locking (sort of) full extention, 100# rated, drawer guides...Accuride is the brand...

P1040711.JPG

(above) The drawer faces dry overnight, then get finish coated tomorrow...

P1040712.JPG

(above) Some stuff is underneath cushions, but everything gets painted...I'd want it that way...

P1040715.JPG

(above) I got the paint chips at the paint store today...The 'Dovetail" is a 99% match with the fridge that goes in the van...Didn't plan it, just got lucky...

P1040716.JPG

(above) An old list...

P1040717.JPG

(above) A Caveman crude example of a drawer pull idea I have...Probably won't use it this time...

P1040718.JPG

(above) With the tabletop getting sanded and finished, here's a view of the turntable base and the bullet catch...

Jb1rd

Explorer
Just curious to know if you have used the Festool rail system with the plunge cut saw and vac? I saw in one of the post that you had a Festool router? When we had our contracting company I bought these setups for my guys, simply amazing quality and the ability to do it onsite was huge, initial cost was offset usually within a couple of jobs. Anyway I ask because even with a quality table saw we liked the results of the rail system better and ease of use and only needing one person was amazing. Keep up the good work

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Just curious to know if you have used the Festool rail system with the plunge cut saw and vac?

Yeah, I have the rail saw...Have the 4' and 8' rails...Love it...

The vacuum I hear is awesome, but until my Ridgid dies, I'm sticking with what still works...

In the Netherlands I used the plunge saw in Festool's tablesaw bench...
zoom__hs_cs70ebset_561146_p_01a.jpg

Again, amazing and pricey...$900+ for the table...

One tool I wish was available in the USA, is a combo mitersaw / tablesaw...
bosch-table-mitre-preview.jpg

Bosch, Makita and DeWalt offer them in Europe...Why not here...???...

Jb1rd

Explorer
Yeah, I have the rail saw...Have the 4' and 8' rails...Love it...

The vacuum I hear is awesome, but until my Ridgid dies, I'm sticking with what still works... Def, but do not hesitate to drop the coin when you need to the filtration system was almost as good as our shop.

In the Netherlands I used the plunge saw in Festool's tablesaw bench...
zoom__hs_cs70ebset_561146_p_01a.jpg

Again, amazing and pricey...$900+ for the table...

One tool I wish was available in the USA, is a combo mitersaw / tablesaw...
bosch-table-mitre-preview.jpg

Bosch, Makita and DeWalt offer them in Europe...Why not here...???...
That is amazing, love it!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
what's the cost of this interior project? I assume this is your business?

I know what I'm being paid, but I'll let Mike address the overall cost if he wants to...

PM me if you want to know of my cost...I'm not going to post that info on an open forum...

draaronr

Adventurer
okay cool was wondering Wasn't looking for outright disclosure, just wasn't sure if you were in the business for sure.

, I'd hate to reinvent the wheel, but might work something where I send it to you with my ideas then Ill fly out and camp my way home :)

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
okay cool was wondering Wasn't looking for outright disclosure, just wasn't sure if you were in the business for sure.

, I'd hate to reinvent the wheel, but might work something where I send it to you with my ideas then Ill fly out and camp my way home :)

That works...I've done a few like that...

java

Expedition Leader
The Festool vacuum is awesome.... We have one at work. Quiet, and HEPA rated.... And works perfectly with all their tools. Use it mostly with the grinder/sander works amazing with the adjustable cover.

Wiley

Adventurer
Did I read correctly that the headliner alone supports that shelf, you do not fasten to the van body at all?

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Did I read correctly that the headliner alone supports that shelf, you do not fasten to the van body at all?
The shelf is attached to the 1/4" molded "fiber' headliner with a bunch of T-nuts on the sides and front...The molded headliner is screwed to the fame at the the sun visors (4 screws), and at the rear of the headliner are push nuts that go into the frontmost ceiling rib...It's more than solid enough for the bedding that will be stored up there...Pillows, down sleeping bags, etc...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder

Mornings are usually started with sorting out the shop and creating work space...

Today, it looked like this...

P1040719.JPG

(above) OK, not like that...Shore power hole, primed...

P1040720.JPG

(above) Outside...

P1040721.JPG

(above) 10/3 into a really cool inlet...

P1040722.JPG

(above) Done out here...

P1040723.JPG

(above) Pulled the headliner to install speaker wiring and the speakers...Gallo softballs...Far from finished...Holes in the headliner, centered on the driver's head, and as far forward in the new shelf as possible...Expecting it to sound better than....

P1040724.JPG

(above) The next set of pictures are a quick look at the shop at the end of the week...No captions following...

P1040724.JPG

P1040725.JPG

P1040726.JPG

P1040727.JPG

P1040728.JPG

P1040729.JPG

P1040730.JPG

P1040731.JPG

P1040732.JPG

P1040733.JPG

P1040734.JPG

P1040735.JPG