U-Venture Roof Basket @ Walmart

A3M0N

Observer
Has anyone ever had any experience with this roof basket? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Highland-UVenture-Rooftop-Cargo-Basket-Black/22018473

I'm looking for budget items for our upcomming cross country move. I'll need it to carry a foldable medium dog crate and some camping equipment. My only drawback for buying a roof basket right now is I own a 2002 Grand Cherokee, the year Jeep decided to stop making the cross bars a standard piece of equipment. I'm hoping that this is wide enough to u-bolt to the side rails (not at home to measure right now, I'll get the wife to do it) or I'll have to invest in a set of cross bars as well.

Thanks!

A3M0N

Observer
OK, the siderails are 34.5in apart from center to center. The rack is 35in wide. Do y'all think it is safe to use ubolts and bolt the rack to the side rails? I'm in another state from my vehicle right now. If I need the crossbars I'll start looking when I get home in a few weeks.

Thanks for your advice.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I would try to use proper crossbars. Good price on the basket, just be aware of one Wal-Mart review in particular. Apparently the bracket only works on really thick crossbars.

Jason

Bikemobile

Adventurer
On my 2008 the side rails are closer together at the back and further apart at the front. 1.5 inches difference. Not sure why. So make sure you measure the distance in two places.

A3M0N

Observer
Good point Bikemobile.

I think I have decided on a diy route. Planning to use unistrut for the crossbars. In my interweb wandering, I have seen it mounted with ubolts or using a carriage bolt with a washer or an elevator bolt in the roof rail channel. Any experience or opinions?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior