Importing a camper into the US

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I'm looking at camper in Vancouver and wanted to see if anyone had advice on buying in Canada and bringing into the US. The camper is used and from what the seller tells in Canada there is no registration for TC's. I live in Oregon where there is registration, I *think* I can get a trip permit which I would need for driving in the US but I am wondering if a simple "I was just up camping, sir" will do at the border.
Thanks,
Bahndo

eatthepeach

Observer
I have a trailer that was imported from Canada a few years ago. Unfortunately, I'm not in contact with the original owner and I don't know what procedure he followed to accomplish it. Seems daunting.

Not sure if this is helpful but I bought my Canadian built (Bigfoot) truck camper in Montana. I just checked my paperwork and it came with a title which has a vehicle identification number, etc. It looks just like a car title. So would assume that the seller would have a title to the camper to prove that he's the legal owner. The Bigfoot camper has a tag / sticker on it with the same identification number.

I would think with the title you could easily tag it in Oregon. Virginia (my home state) does not register campers so I never had to deal with this. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Jerry

BCHauler

Adventurer
I live just outside of Vancouver. I have owned 2 truck campers, including the one I have now. That I'm aware of, a typical truck camper won't have a title up here. Not sure what that means for you heading back to the States, but here, a truck camper is treated like a truck canopy or a roof basket. It is more of a vehicle accessory or cargo.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A truck camper is just a load that goes in the bed of your truck. I understand there could be issues if it was a trailer, but are you maybe overthinking this one?

I certainly don't have a separate title or registration for my Bigfoot.

bahndo

Interesting... The state of Oregon requires a camper be registered and requires a title. It sounds like I can get a trip permit for once I am back in the states but if the camper was never sold with a title that could prove interesting. Te camper is a bigfoot which I believe is Canadian built so maybe it is title-less. I'll post up what I learn along the way.

sisu

Adventurer
I've done a couple of these weird no title required for the particular state purchases in the past. Here is what is the simplest thing to do. Get a bill of sale from the seller, if you are a Washington or Oregon resident better get it notarized or the state will get their panties in a bunch. If you are heading to a reasonable state like Montana or Alaska the bill of sale is usually all you need. Hell, I've purchased flat bed trailers before with no title etc., just ground off all the serial numbers, did a repaint went into the licensing spot told them it was a home made got the inspection done and numbers for my stamp and off I went no worse for the wear. It's very easy just don't complicate it.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Oregon's title and registration sounds like it is for revenue enhancement.

Do they actually check?

Using a Canadian bill of sale could raise some red flags, may be not, you would have to call them and ask.

Another option would be a lost title or lien sale, you need to contact DMV or a DMV service and get there advice.

chevyexpotruck

Observer
No. There are no titles/registration required for in bed truck campers up here.

Not sure I would try sneaking it back across the border. It is really just not worth it for all the problems you may have if you are caught.

If you do try and say you were just camping, then you better be prepared to spend a couple days up here before you go back. They see the date/time you left the US in the computer and if you say you were just camping, but the computer says you have just been gone a couple hours, they will get very suspicious.

I buy trailers/equipment/trucks from the US and import them back up here all the time with little to no problem. Same goes for stuff I bring into the US for others.

Get a bill of sale with the sellers name, address and contact number (in case US Customs decides to call them) and you will likely be fine.

The BEST way to see if there will be a problem at the border is to call US Customs at the border entry where you will be crossing back into the US and asking them what they will need in terms of paperwork. I found this to be the best way, as the person you are asking the questions to on the phone is usually the exact same person you will be dealing with in person when you go through customs.

-Ask them what paperwork they need and when they need it done (some paperwork for US Customs needs to be sent to them a few days BEFORE you go get it.
-Ask when you can cross the border with the purchase. Any time I need to bring a truck over the border, I need to stop at US Customs before so that I can get the paperwork stamped for Canadian Customs. But US Customs at my entry point is only open between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. If I were to try and pass on a weekend, for example, my load would be seized and held until Monday (and I would be charged storage fees during that time).
-Ask if there are any fees for the paperwork and/or things like taxes on the goods. It can suck to have everything you need to bring something back, but are short $20 for fees.

bahndo

Just to update- If I lived in a state that did not require registering the camper I would probably make a go of it but here in Oregon I need a titled camper, it gets it's own plates that need to displayed. There are ways of getting a camper registered if it was sold in a state that did not require registration but a title is needed. If a title is not available you have to jump through a few paper hoops and hope you can prove that the camper is USDOT approved. The seller did not have any paper work for the camper and it was made and sold in Canada originally and I have no idea if this particular model was offered in the states which would have made it a real pain to buy and get legal. The funny thing is where I live in Oregon we don't have any emissions or inspections for vehicles but try to load a camper up without plates and you'd better watch your butt....

morrisster

Adventurer
can you get a title issued with a VIN and bill of sale? - so long as it's not showing as stolen, most states have some procedure for getting a title issued. My home state does not require titles, registration or plates for truck campers. So getting it insured was interesting...

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Why don't you call the Oregon DMV and ask them what they need?

Titles are issued by the state where you will register the camper, in this case Oregon. If it were a truck, the previous owner would sign the back of his title, give you a bill of sale and the keys. Since Oregon's title for a slide in camper is the exception, you won't have a title. I expect that you will need a notarized bill of sale, complete an Oregon title application and write a check. In several weeks Oregon will send you a title.

Your big question is, what do you need to import the truck camper.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles