July in SLC/Park City area fishing ideas?

doug720

Expedition Leader
My daughter has a softball tournament in early July in and around Salt Lake and Park City areas that lasts for a week. We are driving our RV and towing the 60, so we have transportation. I want to explore a little and fish some also in this area.

I have not been in this part of Utah in over 25 years, and would like to get some fly time in and see some of the areas many beautiful sites. Hoping for some ideas within hour or so of SLC/PC. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just a place with the fewest people, pretty, nice water and a "Chance" to CR a few. Any great exploring suggestions would also be appreciated!

If you have any suggestions, let me know in general here or PM something specific.

In addition, we will be looking for a RV park also! Shudder to think we will stay in one, but we have to be close the games. So if you know of a nice out of the way RV park near SLC/PC, it would be appreciated. This will be the start of our vacation, so after the games, we will work our way West and South over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

D0ug

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Some fantastic fly fishing opportunities in and around the Wasatch Front. PM dieselcruiserhead (Andre in Park City) and FlyJester (Devin in Heber), both are well versed on the fly-fishing opportunities in those areas and live in that neck of the woods. In the meantime, check out Provo River & Weber River, both very popular spots with miles of opportunity.

As for the RV park, hmmm, that is tough. There is a KOA in SLC proper: http://koa.com/campgrounds/salt-lake-city/ or on the other side of the mountains there is RV park in Woodland, UT (20-30 mins from PC, 1 hr from SLC but right on the river for fishing. Likely others I can't think of as well.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Kurt,

I appreciate the info and will follow up on it. I have been doing research and found a few areas that look promising.

I'm hoping to stop in and say hello when I'm in the neighborhood as Sandy is close by!

Thanks

Doug

pcut

Adventurer
There is an RV park at Kimball Junction just outside of Park City ( Park City RV Resort 435-649-8935)- unfortunately it's right off I-80. There is a portion of it that is tucked down below and behind the park next to the creek but you'd probably better reserve it now. There is also one on the Middle Provo right below Jordanelle Dam called River's Edge 435-654-4049- about 20 minutes outside of Park City that is pretty quiet and pretty good but fairly crowded fishing . Weber and Provo rivers are fairly crowded at that time of year. Upper Provo is probably the least crowded. Lots of lakes up in the Uintah mountains with pretty good fishing. Chicken Creek and the Ladders up at Strawberry for bank/float tube fishing. You may be able to get on the private stretch of the Upper Weber through Jan's Mountain Outfitters in Park City- that is pretty good fishing (depending on how much water there is) and it's private so there a relatively fewer people. Farther afield there are the Strawberry and Duchesne Rivers and Rock Creek that are an hour or so away from Park City. PM me when you get into town and I'll show you a few places if I'm in town. We generally try to get out of Park City during the softball madness but are around from time to time.

FlyJester

Adventurer
As mentioned the http://www.riversedgeatdeerpark.com/ is a nice place at the base of Jordanelle Reservoir. You are right next to the Provo River, nice setting, quiet and roughly 20 minutes from Park City.

There is also a new RV park that has opened up in Heber, http://mountainvalleyrv.com/ . They are located along HWY 40 that leads you out to the Strawberry area. You are still close to the Middle Provo (5-10 minutes), closer to Heber stores/dining, but closer to Strawberry Reservoir and it's tributaries(20-25 minutes). Be aware that the tributaries flowing into Strawberry are closed from mid-May until the 2nd week of July. Check out the Utah DWR 2014 fishing guide for more info on state laws. http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in...debooks/1323-2014-utah-fishing-guidebook.html

There are a couple streams in the immediate Park City area, as well as above the Heber Valley. Then there's the Uintah's, plenty of places to wet a line either still or moving waters. Everything mentioned here and above can most likely done in a half day, whether it be an early morning or late afternoon/evening, that just depends on your family's softball game schedule.

As the time nears post up and let us know when you are here and what your schedule is like. Just like what pcut said, If I am available, I would enjoy showing you a few good spots in the area.

FlyJester

Adventurer
Devin- Why don't you show me a few good spots in the area?

Can do. Just have to wait until things thaw out this spring/summer. I hardly ever do any stillwater fishing(unless I'm in the Uintas), mostly the smaller streams and the Mid-Provo is what I target. The water flows will be interesting to say the least, if we don't get about 10-15 more of these storms I'm not sure what the flows will be like. :(

Where do you usually wet a line at?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Thanks for offers and information. As we get closer to the game dates I will post what days we will be in town.

Thanks again.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke