'95 4Runner Question

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
OK, well, a question for a friend. He has a '95 4Runner with an auto trans, no ABS and a 3.0. His rear end went out and isn't sure what R&P gearset he has. Anyone have any idea what they could be? I know there are probably a couple different ones it could be.

I am no expert by no meaning in TOYOTA, but you should be able to contact your local dealership with a valid VIN #. Ask for a build sheet for it, which will tell you every option available when it was built. I would recommended as it looks like he has a 95' mid-year change date....

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
He said he tried the dealer but they weren't much help. If he gives me the VIN I know I can get more info if its available. I know the guys at the dealership.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Put it in 4wd high, and the transmission in neutral (if he has ADD, you will need the truck running when you shift it into 4wd and then shut it down before jacking it up).

jack up one side, and put a mark on the driveshaft with a marker. Spin the wheel in the air for TWO complete revolutions, and count the number of times the shaft spins. Just a little past 4, you have 4.10's, 4 and 1/3 on the shaft is a 4.30 gearset (not too likely), 4.5 turns, is a 4.56 gearset (aftermarket if he has it), and nearly 5 is a 4.88 gearset (could be with the auto).

Make sure you rotate twice. With one wheel in the air, the differential causes the ring to need twice as many spins to spin the pinion once as it does with both wheels spinning.

Cheers!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I told him to do that too AxleIke but he is down with that dreadful flu for another day or so. He is just trying to get what he can done ahead of time like ordering parts.

I will forward that info to him tanglefoot!

summerprophet

Adventurer
Also, If jacking up the truck is a problem, You can pull the speedo from the Transmission, and count the little plastic gear teeth. You can reference these online to determine your gearing.

The only potential problem, is the '95 came with either a mechanical or an electrical speedo connection. I did this for a mechanical, I am not sure what the electrical one looks like.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I hooked him up with another 'Yota friend . He is just buying a whole parts 4Runner from him. Maybe 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz