Where to go for some skills education

mkitchen

Explorer
What sources are out there for gaining skills for DS style riding? I have a road bike and am very comfortable making long trips on it but am looking to be able to tour on back country roads as well. Are the some recommended books, YouTube, DVD's or even a course that would get me going in the right direction. Note, I have been mountianbiking for many years, though I stopped doing that about eight years ago, but those skills are still there.

I would just hate to invest in another bike and not do well on it. I know that a fellow should buy something smaller and start there but I really don't want to buy a bike, then move up to a bigger bike later. For one thing, my funds don't allow the additional purchases and I think that I would rather learn on the heavy bike that I want to end up with. I did this with my road bike. I took the MSF class and a year later, bought a fullsize bagger and rode it 200 miles home with no on road training. I believe that my many years of bicycling has been a help there.

I am thinking of the BMW GSA 1200 for me and a BMW F700 GS for my wife. Her's would be with the dropped frame and low seat. As retirement draws near, I look forward to the time when we can make some long trips on the two bikes. So, any suggestions/recommendations?
Mikey

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
any chance you can make it to overland Expo? they have a good skills training course there. there are a ton of options in Arizona, you are lucky that way. i learned to ride on a Suzuki vstrom 650, you can do it on a bigger bike but the learning curve is steeper and longer. I spent a lot of time in parking lots and messing around in gravel pits. Good choices of bikes btw, you can get a number of things for the 700 to lower the seat if needed. Overland Expo is in May and i would suggest trying that out. Getting out with other people could work for you to. there are a few good DVD's out there and a ton of stuff on you-tube. another good resource is horizons unlimited.

mkitchen

Explorer
Will be at EXPO

I really enjoy the EXPO and am already looking forward to going to the next one. I haven't spent any time over on the motorbike side yet but will be spending some time over there this year. If the BMW course is open to those who are not part of the bigger package deals and only there as a camper, then I will certainly take that course and Mo may as well. I will check out youtube for training videos. So far all I have seen is ride reports but I have not really looked too hard.
I am hoping that the motorbike show in Phoenix next weekend will have some dual sports to test ride as well. I would love to get Mo on one to let her see how she likes it. If she did not like it, that would really put a damper on the whole idea.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Thanks LTS

That looks like just the thing that I was looking for. I will order the first DVD and see how I go from there.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94