Kinda like airbnb, but for CA campgrounds...

Alyraz

Thanks @WhereTheHellIsJames? Where the hell are you anyways....? I'm Alyssa, one of the founders of Hipcamp! Really appreciate you helping us spread the word, if anyone has ideas for what we should build next please drop me a a line - alyssa@hipcamp.com. See you out there!!

Alyraz

Thats really cool! To bad its only for Cali. :(
@runt - thank you! where are you located? We're expanding as quickly as we can and hope to cover the whole US by next summer, but it's always good to know where people want us the most!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
How does it work? Is the site availability data pulled from something like Reserve America? Just curious?
Never mind

So its just a better front end to reserve america data essentially. Once you try to book a site they send you out to Reserve America.

It looks good if you want to make it you need to embrace a method for crowd sourcing data on current camp site conditions via feedback etc. Reserve America site is complete Garbage when it comes to trying to pick a site on things that really matter like proximity to a smelly pit toilet, trash bins, or big thicket of poison Oak surrounding the site vs say nice sunny spot with some shade with decent separation from the sites next to it. Level parking pad and level large tent area or small unlevel spot for a tent. Dirty busy campground between X months etc.. That type of information would drive lots of people to your App and webpage to sort out what campground they should look into and possibly what sites to avoid vs which camp sites to try and book then jump to Reserve America.

Good luck!

Don't laugh but I've actually looked at Yelp recently to check out certain campgrounds and have found some interesting and valued feed back about sites and such. When your familiar with a campground you know what sites you want to try and book. When you have never been there You have NO IDEA!! Unless you can glean some details from someone's blog or stumble on to a couple of good reviews even on Yelp LOL.

Last edited:

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
So I've been perusing the Hipcamp site for about an hour. First off, the overall functions and lay out work pretty well and its logical. Each page is consistent and I haven't noticed any odd problems while using my Macbook...which seems to happen more often then it should on the internet. Non the less, I love the web site! The "tips, activities and history" are friggn awesome! Google maps on each page is great. I can't wait to see more traffic on the site and have it filled with comments and pictures! Hopefully the site can take the place of "reserve america" and other county and state park pages. Having to create a user profile for each county or individual park is annoying when reserving a camp site. I just want to see a camp lay out map thats to scale, see a picture of each camp site with a description of the amenities, select a date and pay me fee. DONE!

Also, all the little links are awesome. Found a link to Mountain Project in one of the descriptions on Hipcamp. Now I've got another web site to peruse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz