Another turbo for my Ford 6.0 diesel...

Railvan

Adventurer
My SMB is at the local Ford dealer for its second turbo on the 6.0 diesel. The van has 23,000 miles on it. The first one went out at 6,000 miles. The van has not stuck me anywhere but it sure doesn't build any confidence in traveling to remote locations knowing the failure rate of the turbo on these Ford diesel engines. I bought a Scangauge to see what the code would be when it failed again. It failed the day after I installed the Scangauge, but the code didn't really tell me anything other than it was turbo related. Sigh...

Brian
www.pbase.com/railbat

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That stinks, I'm always worried about my turbo. So far no issues, 06 w/almost 30K. I'm especially worried since my warranty is almost over.

Railvan

Adventurer
I asked about the warranty today and was told it's bumper to bumper for 30,000 miles and 100,000 mile coverage on the engine and turbo. I need to check on the details. I plan on getting the extended coverage option when the 100,000 is about up.

Brian

Carlyle

Explorer
The turbo was replaced on my 6.0 at 75,000 miles under warranty for $100. I have talked extensively to the dealer about this and they stated that the engine and turbo will be covered by Ford on a case by case basis (eg. documented previous problems), for up to 150,000 miles. Other than the turbo, I've had a fuel pump, two injectors, EGR valve twice, various computer modules, and turbo shroud all replaced under the 100,00 mile warranty. Ford is standing behind their product, but it's not the greatest product. I would have a new truck already, but I'm keeping mine for the simply fact you can't drive a new 6.4 into Mexico as they do not have ultra low sulfur diesel and probably won't for years to come. It is also my understanding from talking to other owners that the 06's had very few problems compared to the 03' and 04's. Do your oil and fuel filter changes religiously and consider an fuel bypass filter like I'm thinking of. Let me know what you find out about the extended coverage after 100,000 miles and how much $ they want for it?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DEMAND to see the defective when they are replaced. If the bearings goes the impeller will hit the side of the housing. It can break of the fins and those will get run through the engine and can score the cylinder walls causing blow by and compression problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne