Overland worthy belts - What is your preferred one?

keezer37

Explorer
I've had an Amish belt for some time now. I saw the word Amish and figured it must be good. Has screws instead of rivets which I like. I put a dab of medium strength Locktite on them just in case. 5.5mm thick.

I've had several good leather belts, and nylon ones as well. Some have been excellent but specialized towards a specific purpose. As an overall practical "overlanding" belt, I think it's hard to beat a $25 nylon web belt from Patagonia or Mountain khakis.

Mashurst

Adventurer
I have been wearing the 1.75 5.11 TDU belt with Plastic buckle.
At first I was a bit apprehensive about the buckle lasting but after a few years now with zero problems and virtually no sign of wear, all concerns are allayed. I like that it wont scratch things, that it is light, and that I dont have to take it off for the man when flying. It is also relatively simple to put on and take off. I like that it is silent. No Velcro or clinking buckle. I also like the rock solid hold it has on my pants... after all that is what a belt is supposed to do.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the input. I've decided to stick to my leather belt until it gives up then I'll evaluate the options.

peneumbra

Explorer
@p1michaud: Sorry, but you'll have to get a new belt. The forum has taken a vote, and, well, that's just the way it is...

Frank

Explorer
The first tactical belt I bought, I love. I almost bought and had my mind set on a SOE or Spec Ops belt but not knowing what I was getting into with a totally different style (I have always worn full grain leather or issue military belts) belt, I decided to buy local. The local gun shop had Galco belts, and it has been an absolute amazing belt. I bought the Instructors Belt Galco offers. I bought this to help support my conceal carry, so the added stitching helps a ton. Even with this reinforcement, the belt is super comfortable. http://www.galcogunleather.com/instructors-belt-non-reinforced-1-3-4-_8_256_1163.html

I initially bought it to help support my pants and .40 when I conceal carry, but found it to be so great that I wear it as much as I can. It is beyond comfortable and supports me beyond what I was expecting. I've only been wearing it for a few months and feel like I haven't even broke it in yet. I presume it will last me many, many years. If I were to take off on a RTW wold trip tomorrow, this would be around my waist. If I was still in the Corps and going to war tomorrow, I would be wearing this belt. -though the SOE and Spec Ops belts are also highly regarded. -which I still may purchase, just to have.

The buckle/clasp capacity I am unsure of, but I am confident that someone could hook up to it and pull my body weight (250 pounds) without question.

Last edited:

no-pistons

Adventurer
I usually just wear one of the $6-7 belts from the surplus store :ar15:

web-belt-army-navy-051410-lg.jpg

But I just got a Trak belt also and it's pretty bad ***!

http://koreessentials.com/trx-belts/

IMG_1971_1024x567_2__49959.1381882421.1280.1280.jpg

DblD

Adventurer
Funny I would come across this thread after recently chasing down a new belt to replace a well used old friend. A belt seems like an odd thing to be so attached to. However I’ve had this old belt for 25 years plus. I’ve got pictures as a college freshman with a 2 D cell maglite strapped to this belt. Picture is dated 10/22/1988. Over the years I have tried to replace this thick piece of leather; it’s been thru two buckles and had holes added in each end as my gut has expanded and contracted.

1391885246_p2070864.jpg

I’ve finally found a suitable replacement. The new belt comes from Clayton Bowman of Bowman Belt Co. It’s a double thickness belt with Kydex stitched between the layers of leather. I found other similar conceal-carry belts on any number of websites for $80.00 plus and as long as 4 week waiting period. I ordered this belt from Clayton on a Sunday afternoon and meet him to pick it up 4 days later. Total for belt, added Kydex stiffener and different buckle, was just over $60.00. Clayton has an Etsy Store where he sells his leather merchandise. Build quality is fantastic and Clayton was great to work with.

Here’s a link to his online store.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BowmanBeltCo

1391885403_p2070865.jpg

dd

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I'm with dd. I use an old Filson single layer leather belt. Leather just moves with you and does not create hot spots or cut into you like nylon web belts do. I keep trying nylon to save weight but when I really need a belt to hold my pants up on a hike nothing beats leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94