What is the difference between a Hi-Lux and Tacoma

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Spikepretorius said:
Here's another link: http://www.toyota.co.za/

By the way, do guys have these? Called Fortuner here. It's one notch below a Prado. Kind of a station wagon version of the Hilux
http://www.toyota.co.za/models/viewrange.aspx?id=fortuner
fortuner_model_page_landing_vehicle.jpg

As I understand it, the Fortuner was developed first. The Hilux is a pick-up version of the Fortuner concept. I am getting some relatives in Guatemala to get a price quote on diesel 4x4 Fortuner.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
mauricio_28 said:
As I understand it, the Fortuner was developed first. The Hilux is a pick-up version of the Fortuner concept. I am getting some relatives in Guatemala to get a price quote on diesel 4x4 Fortuner.

Seems like the 4runner fits that niche in the US Market. I understand the current gen 4runner is based on the Prado (Lexus GX470 in the US market) rather than the Taco, but the 4runner is the closest thing we have to a Tacoma-based SUV.

subytoy

Observer
When I worked for a Toyota dealer the first time (1976), all Toyota trucks we sold were Hiluxes. This was in Nebraska. I believe my '92 Xtra-cab VZN110 is a Hilux (that's what I call it).
I like Tacos and Tundras, but Hiluxes rule!
Craig

Brian894x4

Explorer
If you want the sort of "long" answer here is it....

The Toyota 4x4 truck from 1979 through 1995 (US) and current for other markets has always been designed and built to be a one ton capable truck, which means that it has a one capable frame, but is not always fitted with one ton suspension.

The Toyota mini-truck sold here and abroad was pretty much the same through 1985. Except that when toyota introduced a double cab option, it was never brought over here. But the frames, suspensions and bodies were essentially the same. At some point, Toyota stopped importing the cargo box into the states (so I hear) and they were made by a supplier, hence why American toyota trucks come with the smooth side beds and other countries have the beds with the side hooks.

For the 1986 model year, Toyota introduced IFS which was exclusive to all U.S. trucks. Overseas, most models remained solid front axle all the way through about 1997. Some were IFS, and most of those were high end models. In 1986, Toyota stopped importing the diesel option in the states as well, but continued it overseas.

In 1989, Toyota introduced a new body style and continued with the same engines (petrol only for the states) frame and suspension as the prior models.

South Africa was unique in that it never got the 1989-1996 body style. South Africa produced their own Hiluxes at a Toyota licensed plant, becaue the country had laws requiring that any vehicles sold there have a certain percentage of locally built content. Brazil had the same thing, hence a varient of the FJ40 was produced there all the way through 2001.

The South African Hilux had the same 1985 body style, engines and suspension all the way through 1996, except that sometime they included a rear axle and other minor parts that were sourced from local suppliers and were different than the regular Toyota axles.

For the rest of the world, the 1989-1995 (1996 global) body style was IFS or solid front axle. The U.S. got the IFS version only.

Toyota did a weird thing in around 1989 and licensed the design of it's truck to VW, of all companies, and allowed them to produce indentical copies through sometime in the mid 1990s. This was called VW Taro and had its own badges, but looked like the other Toyota Hiluxes in all respects. There may be some other differences that I'm not aware of. They were built in Europe, specificly for sale in Europe and were made both with IFS and with solid front axles. The reason for this was probably because for some reason, Japanese vehicles are just not popular in Europe and Europe continues to have fairly low sales rates of Toyota trucks and Land Cruisers, so by rebadging as a German vehicle, I guess they figured they could increase sales.

From some point in the early 1980s through 1995, Toyota dropped the Hilux name for the U.S. version and just called it a truck. I'm not sure why. It could be because the world "Hilux" doesn't make any sense to most Americans, so they figured why confuse potential buyers.

Toyota entered a joint deal with GM at some point in the early 1990s and built a new plant at NUMMI in Fremont, California. They started to co-produced the final years of the Toyota truck with Japan. A certain percentage of 1994 and 1995 models were made in the U.S., including using U.S. sourced, but Japanese designed parts. These were the same as the Japanese version in overall design.

In mid year 1995, Toyota introduced the Tacoma for North America and stopped importing and making the old Japanese designed truck for the North American market. For other markets, the 1989 body style continued production for another couple of years.

The Tacoma was an entirely new truck that shared absolutely nothing with the Toyota Hilux. It was designed specificly for the North American market and as such the truck did not need to be over built. For that reason the frame was not designed to be one ton capable and the suspension and steering was designed specificly to improve highway performance, while still retaining at least basic off road capability. Toyota did offer the rear electric locker on a truck for the first time and to my knowledge only on the Tacoma.

Many of the parts of the Tacoma were not designed or sourced from Japan. The frame was designed and built by the Dana Corp, which also supplies the U.S. auto makers with parts. Other parts were supplied by other U.S. suppliers.

In around 1996 for I believe the 1997 model year, Toyota introduced a new Hilux for all markets, except North America. This time, the solid front axle was dropped for good. In it's place was the same IFS and one ton frame that was first introduced in the U.S. in 1986. The front suspension and frame were entirely different from the Tacoma and share absolutely no parts. The Hilux IFS was the torsion bar style that we had in the U.S. from 1986-1995 and they retained that all the way through around 2005, 2006. The new 1997 Hilux body style and interior were very simliar to the U.S. made Tacoma, but it doesn't appears parts are interchangable. They did share some engines, however, but the suspension was all the old design on the Hilux. Around this time, Toyota started to outsource it's Hilux production even more and built other plants for other markets. At some point, Hiluxes were no longer made in Japan at all, I believe, but I'm not sure when this was.

This continued until 2005, when Toyota introduced a brand new Tacoma. A year later, the a completely brand new Hilux was introduced. This time, both vehicles have entirely different body styles, but now some some components.

The Tacoma frame and rear suspension appear to be exactly patterned off of the Tundra design introduced in 2000. Which, as mentioned, includes a full boxed front, partly boxed center, and complete C-channel frame center to rear. The rear suspension is also a reverse shackle design from the TAcoma. The front suspension is actually from the 4Runner and Land Cruiser Prado that was introduced in 2003.

The current Hilux shares the same front suspension, but almost nothing else. The Hilux frame is entirely new, but again, was specificly designed to be one ton capable and is fully boxed front to rear. The rear leaf suspension and shackles are more conventional.

Until a few years ago, Mexico had no Toyota dealers. Any Toyotas found in Mexico came from either the U.S., Canada or central or south america. When Toyota built its new plant in Tiajuna, it decided to increase its sale presence. Because Toyota produces Tacomas for North America, they decided to offer the Tacoma for sale in Mexico as well. But because Mexicans often need a very heavy duty truck and diesel engine for commerical use, they also offer the South American version of the Hilux.

As result, Mexico is the only country in the world that offers for sale BOTH the Tacoma and the Hilux.

I can't tell you much else as I've kind of dropped out of the mini-truck, Hilux world a year or so ago, when I switched to the Land Cruiser.

Hopefully that helps. I might have a few years and minor details off and I typed all that off of memory. Please feel free to correct anything.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles