What is the difference between a Hi-Lux and Tacoma

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
One thing is you cant get a Hilux in the states. Second the Hilux's ive seen in Nicaragua and central america are all diesel.. super sweet..!!

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
It seems like 3 out of 5 vehicles in Australia are a Hi-lux. I wondered if they were a foreign only model or just a rebadged Tamcoma, but they appear to be smaller.

98sr5

Observer
they have a diesel and are a bit heavier duty then the tacoma i would think they are as heavy duty as a new tundra frame wise and almost torque wise.
also the frame on the hilux is fully boxed and the new tacoma is 1/3 box 1/3 c-channel 1/3 open

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hilux vs. Tacoma

I found this 2006 Hilux in Iraq and took some photos of some things I thought were interestingly different from my 2005 Tacoma

This particular Hilux was built in Thailand... my Tacoma was built in California.

Both are gasoline engines, the Hilux is a 2TR-FE as opposed to a 1GR-FE in the Tacoma.

Front suspension appears identical at a glance, however, the rear leaf springs look much beefier than what my Tacoma came with. Both have the plastic gas tank skid plate.

The biggest difference other than the sheetmetal, interior, and steel bed is the rear frame... compare the rear section, cross members, spring hangers etc. The Hilux rear frame is fully boxed and twice as stout IMO.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Comparison Pics

Hilux Max's fine Hilux:

10022008285.jpg

My Tacoma:

100_3282.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I think I like the front-end nose shape of the Tacoma better.

Definitely prefer the Hilux diesel engine options more.

alvarorb

Adventurer
This is from the Toyota Venezuela website.

Tacoven1.png

Tacoven2.png

I guess the rear bed depends on the model you get. In Venezuela the dual cab, 4x4 with the deluxe bed is called Kavak.

For one thing these Hiluxes do not have the dorky mudflaps that the new 4x4 Taco's have. The Hiluxes do not have the window on the rear glass. Nor fender flares.

Regards

Alvaro

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
In Nicaragua we have Fortuner's. they are all over the city of Managua. As well as the Prado. The Fortuner diesel would sell like mad in the States..

Overland Hadley

on a journey
DaveinDenver posted this in the LongRanger fuel tank thread.

DaveInDenver said:
The new Hilux is based on Toyota's new International Multipurpose Vehicle (IMV) platform. The Taco is wider and longer than the Hilux....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Beowulf said:
I have seen many references, but what is the difference between the Hi-lux and the Tacoma?

The short answer is that they are different vehicles for different markets. The Tacoma is a US (and Canada, I think) market-only vehicle and the Hilux is the "world" truck. They are similar in size and appearance but not identical. The Tacoma is made in the US (At the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA), and the Hilux is made in Japan and I think in some other locations around the world as well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Overland Hadley said:
DaveinDenver posted this in the LongRanger fuel tank thread.
A lot of this stuff is scattered around here and all over. The current Hilux is based on the IMV, same as the Fortuner (SUV), Innova and Avanza (mini vans). The Tacoma is based on the Prado 120 platform, same as the Prado, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, GX470. The IMV platform seems to be the way Toyota is consolidating light trucks and minivans in most countries, so production can be seamless throughout the bulk of their non-North American plants.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/strategy/imv/index.html

IMV XtraCab Hilux 4WD:
WB: 3085mm (121.5")
Length: 5255mm (206.9")
Width: 1835mm (72.2")
Height: 1795mm (70.7")
Track (F/R): 1540mm/1540mm (60.6")
Weight: 1710 kg (3,770 lbs)
GVW: 2600 kg (5,730 lbs)
Min ground clearance: 212mm (8.3")
Approach angle: 30 deg.
Departure angle: 23 deg.
Tray Length: 1805mm (71.1")
Tray Width (overall): 1515mm (59.6")
Tray Height: 450mm (17.7")
Turning Circle: 12.2m (40.0 ft)

IMV is produced in Tailand, Indonesia, Philippines (the bulk of Asian parts come from TMP and TAP), Argentina and India. I don't think the Hilux is still made at either Tahara, Aichi, where the 4Runner is assembled, or the Hamura Hino plant, where the FJ Cruiser is made. Hino stopped making Hilux trucks at the Hamura plant in June 2005, that I do know.

Toyota Motors Thailand (TMT) started production of the Hilux in Aug 2004. IMV production in Indonesia (TIMMIN) looks to have started in Sept 2004, production of the Hilux in India (Toyota Kirloskar Motor, TKM) seems to have started in Feb. 2005. Hilux production at TASA (Argentina) in March 2005. IMV production in South Africa (TSAM) in April 2005. Parts do come from all over the place, too.

Tacoma AccessCab 4WD:
WB: 127.8"
Length: 208.1"
Width: 74.6"
Height: 69.9"
Track (F/R): 63.0"/63.4"
Weight: 3965 lbs
GVW: 5,350 lbs
Running ground clearance (F/R): 9.5"/9.4"
Approach angle: 35 deg.
Departure angle: 26 deg.
Break-over: 21 deg.
Bed Length: 73.5"
Bed Width (overall/between wheels): 56.7"/41.5"
Bed Height: 18"
Turning Circle: 40.7 ft.

Plants in Fremont, CA (NUMMI); Baja California, Mexico (TMMBC).

Personally, other than the availability of diesels, the Tacoma I think is pretty decent truck. There's the question in my mind of a 'C'-channel frame verses a fully boxed frame, also. But for the intended markets I think the frame is generally fine. The Hilux is often sold as a commercial truck and the Tacoma isn't nearly as much anymore.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles