Getting camper on and off the truck.

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
New to the truck camper world. Picking up our "new" to us camper next week. It's going to be siting on my flatbed dodge ram. What's everyone using to load and unload their campers? I'm not wanting to bold on corner jacks as we will never want to take the camper off away from home.
Hoping for some simple ideas without having to spend a bunch of cash.
Thanks in advance

brian90744

American Trekker
ideas on flat bed camper

You can rent jacks for loading. Also see thread=Northstar popup on flatbed.
What camper is it, and size??

just FYI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wirenut

Adventurer
What camper and truck?
A couple things to consider:
Can you access your spare tire with the camper on? Will your truck's jack lift the whole rig with the camper on? If you ever break down would you want to be able to live in the camper while they work on your truck?
4 corner jacks obviously work really well but if you don't want those do you own or have access to a forklift? You could build a thin frame under the camper that would allow forks to go under for removal. Do you have a garage tall enough to put the rig in where you could use an overhead hoist?

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
ygysy4yp.jpg

Camper is a 2007 ATC panther

4uzuby8u.jpg

Truck is a 2004.5 dodge 3500 with a Bradford steel bed.

Spare tire is under the bed.
Truck jack will lift the truck and camper.
Not looking to take the camper off the bed while on the road.
Unfortunately no where to make a pulley system.

Kowboy

Adventurer
I loaded my monster Lance onto my gooseneck trailer by usin' a forklift on each side. Worked great ... but certainly helps to have a friend with two forklifts.

loaded trailer.jpg

Prybry

Adventurer
It Depends...

It depends on how often you will be taking it off and on... The more often you do it, the more time and stress you will save yourself having the right jacks to do the job..

I'd spend the money on four corner bolt on jacks... the portable stands are a pain. You can always unbolt the jacks once it's on the truck.

ExpoMike

I have the corner jacks and they mount with 3 bolts each. I just bolt them on when I need to remove the camper (extremely rarely) and unbolt them when it's on the truck. Only adds about 10 minutes to the whole time.

brian90744

American Trekker
measurments

How wide is the camper and how wide is your bed?? Have you measured the camper floor to under cab-over and checked this on the truck??
the corner jack brackets stay on the camper, so you will only be removing the jacks from the brkts.
Have you throught how you are going to anchor down the camper on the truck.??

brian

Last edited:

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Picking the camper up next week so I will have a little better idea of how it will sit on the truck then.
As far as mounting to the truck I'm planing on using turn buckles attached to the 4 mounting rigs that came on the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
The mounting jacks that mount to the camper look ok. Not real crazy about drilling into the side of the camper but I guess if
It's down right it will be ok.

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
ahujahy6.jpg
ebujymut.jpg

2050 miles round trip to pick it up! Very happy with it, need to do some cleaning and put down some new laminate flooring and she will be as good as new.
As for the jacks I think I'm going to go with 3 of the tripod style that I posted a picture of a few post up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles