Cherokee Trailhawk vs. Grand Cherokee Laredo

whereto

Hi all. This is my first ExPo post, but I am not foreign to overlanding/offroading/rockcrawling. I worked as the Website Manager at American Expedition Vehicles before my current job. I know the Wrangler is the be all end all of off-roading with a Jeep and I've experienced that in hemi-equipped AEV JKs in Moab (it is delightful), but it doesn't fit my current needs.

In the next 2 months I will be making a decision between a Cherokee Trailhawk and a Grand Cherokee Laredo "E" 4x4. Sounds like a strange comparison, but in terms of pricing it makes sense.

Cherokee Trailhawk V6 + Leather Interior Group, Cold Weather Group and Hood Decal: $33,726
Grand Cherokee Laredo "E" 4x4 + All Weather Capability Group: $35,385

Obviously the Grand Cherokee offers much more cabin space and rear storage, but the Trailhawk is pretty attractive because of the creature comforts (leather, larger touch display, etc) included as well as skid plates, locking rear diff, hill descent and ascent control.

The Grand Cherokee configuration I've done does include the quadra-trac II 4wd system, but I don't believe that includes any ascent/descent control. I could be wrong though. It also comes with cloth instead of leather and the smaller 5-inch touch display. It's kind of difficult to A/B all the features on these 2 vehicles!

Some background: I'm married and we have a 4 year old. Car will be a daily driver to take her to school and me to work, but will also be used for family road trips as well as satisfying any itches I have for some mild off-roading. I plan on keeping this vehicle for the long haul, so there could also be some back road/off road/overland style trips in the U.P. at some point. I live in South East Michigan, so the vehicle won't be seeing any serious obstacles with any regularity. Unless you count the snow that the plow dumps at the end of my driveway a serious obstacle...

Anyway..I'd like some opinions on which you'd choose and why!

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
Do you want a vehicle that shares a platform with a Mercedes SUV, or with a Dodge Dart that in turn is based on some Fiat product? I'd take the stripped Grand Cherokee over a loaded Cherokee, because most base model vehicles aren't a good deal when loaded to the gills and compared against a higher-end model with less options.

whereto

Do you want a vehicle that shares a platform with a Mercedes SUV, or with a Dodge Dart that in turn is based on some Fiat product? I'd take the stripped Grand Cherokee over a loaded Cherokee, because most base model vehicles aren't a good deal when loaded to the gills and compared against a higher-end model with less options.

While you make good points about the chassis each is built on, I'm not really a traditionalist. I don't mind that the Cherokee is built on a car chassis. I'm definitely not interested in a stripped Grand Cherokee. I could add the "off-road adventure I" group to the GC, which would add skid plates, off-road tires and tow hooks for an additional $1000. Maybe that's my answer!

FWIW while I am test driving these vehicles I will probably leave a significant amount of drool on whatever Overland, Summit or CRD models are in the showroom.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Why not a lightly used 2005-2010 WK....they are an IFS/Straight Axle suspension so you get a mannered ride on the road, but cheaper options when upgrading the suspension. You can also get the fr/rear electronic lockers on the WK...not an option on the WK2.

Here is a pic of my 2008 WK diesel...

i-DfX9v92-L.jpg

whereto

Why not a lightly used 2005-2010 WK....they are an IFS/Straight Axle suspension so you get a mannered ride on the road, but cheaper options when upgrading the suspension. You can also get the fr/rear electronic lockers on the WK...not an option on the WK2.

A good recommendation, but I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10-15 years so I'd like to start with a brand new model. I don't need to modify the suspension and current modern interior comforts are a requirement. If I couldn't stream the "Cars" soundtrack via bluetooth for my daughter she would be pretty upset. :rockon:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
A good recommendation, but I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10-15 years so I'd like to start with a brand new model. I don't need to modify the suspension and current modern interior comforts are a requirement. If I couldn't stream the "Cars" soundtrack via bluetooth for my daughter she would be pretty upset. :rockon:

Then I would recommend the Grand Cherokee with the ML350 chassis.....

jpat30

Adventurer
I would take the Grand anyday over the Cherokee, but I am also a little biased. If money were no object, I would take the Grand with the CRD. The Grand is a much more refined roomy vehicle in my opinion, not that its worth much:) But anyway, I think that you will do well either way so good luck with your decision.

whereto

I would take the Grand anyday over the Cherokee, but I am also a little biased. If money were no object, I would take the Grand with the CRD. The Grand is a much more refined roomy vehicle in my opinion, not that its worth much:) But anyway, I think that you will do well either way so good luck with your decision.

I'm definitely leaning toward the Grand based on the more comfortable cabin and better storage, but until I've test driven each of them a couple of times I won't make a final decision. I'm going to the North American International Auto Show this weekend, so I will get to spend a some time inside each and I'm going to visit a couple dealerships over the next 2 months and test drive each of them more than once before I decide what suits me best.

dyezak

I was in the same boat as you late last year. Was trying for the same mid $30k price range too. And I too want to keep the vehicle for the long haul. After it was all said and done with the research I knew I wanted to stay away from the Cherokee due to platform longevity concerns. But coming from a BMW I wanted a higher trim level. After months of searching I found a 13mo old Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 v8 in my price range. I bought that with an extended mopar bumper to bumper warranty taking me out to 2020 and 120k mi.

May I suggest looking for a 1y old lease return. The one I got was from a traveling sales man who lives about 10mi from me; he put 70,000mi on it in 12mo!!! Based on my last 10y worth of driving I average 8k per year which means I am under full warranty for another 6y. After that I have a vehicle that has a relatively cheap engine to service (5.7l hemi) on a well built Mercedes platform. My only fear is the air ride suspension, but 18 wheelers have been running air suspensions for decades putting several hundred thousand miles on their air springs before replacement. And if I want, it is cheap to go to the base suspension...but near impossible to go from the base suspension to the air suspension.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Cherokee Owner.

We just leased a new Cherokee limited, we test drove the Trailhawk but my girlfriend decided it was too masculine for her and since I have the Wrangler the limited would be a better fit. I can tell you that the fit & finish on the inside and out of the new Cherokee is superb. The V6 coupled with the 9 speed transmission makes for a great driving experience.

I would get the trailhawk in a heartbeat. I was appalled when I first saw pictures of the new Cherokee as were many but you really have to see and drive one to understand how good this thing is.

With the rear locker and its increased ride height I think it would make a great daily diver and an excellent overlanding platform. My Wrangler spends 90% of its time on road and 10% off during the year and with its current upgrades it makes for a bit of a harsh ride but I plan to drive her until she drops & then swap in a V8.

Just a quick testimonial from someone who has driven a new Cherokee.:ylsmoke:

Cherokee.jpg

DaJudge

Explorer
Another consideration is the range. The Cherokee has a pathetic 13 gallon tank. I was considering a Cherokee over a Grand until I discovered that.

whereto

Why would you leave AEV? Thats my dream job.

AEV was an incredible company to work for! They're a fantastic group of people who are passionate about what they do. When I started there I was a total off-road/overland novice and not only did I learn a lot, but I came away with a new interest/hobby to explore. I left because the opportunity presented to me was too good to pass up. It was definitely a bitter-sweet decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke