raptor frame controversy

Big50

Adventurer
^^^Good point haha. Which is fine if they are actually pushing their trucks to the limit and ready for the next level. However, most see dirt once maybe twice a year and somehow a dual shock IFS and bed cage with a huge 3.5" shocks is warranted. However, how is this any different than what you or most others do who modify your trucks? You use your truck, figure out what it's weaknesses are and either drive within them or modify.

One thing you're not considering is that the Raptor has/is introducing a lot of people into the desert/higher speed style of offroading. As such, owners are getting hooked and taking their trucks to the next level. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all but it does to some. I would consider myself one of them.

TiFJ

Observer
I have a fairly modded FJ Cruiser and a Crew Cab Raptor. When I compare the two, I have spent roughly the same all-in for both ($42k CAD + $20k-ish in mods for the FJ, $60k CAD + $800 in mods for the Raptor) but the Raptor is far and above a better vehicle to drive practically anywhere other than tight Jeep trails. The Raptor has a better engine, better interior / more luxury, better ride / suspension, bigger tires, more room for people / cargo, bigger fuel tank / larger range, gas mileage is roughly equal (...I could go on) and it is all covered 100% by a warranty. The Raptor was a good option for me because I wanted a road trip / camping vehicle that can storm back roads and logging roads as well as cruise on the highway in total comfort. It's not a long travel racer but it is the best mid-travel truck out-of-the-box. Looks totally bad *** IMO too. It's nice to have access to both but nine times out of ten when the FJ and the Raptor are parked next to one another, I grab the keys to the Raptor.

155mm

Adventurer
Oh I wasn't bashing on the Raptor at all... I think it's great that they put that stuff in a factory truck. I'm just completely amazed by the guys ordering stuff like RPG Stage 4+ kits that haven't even taken delivery of their vehicle yet! :smiley_drive: If I already spent the extra money on upgraded parts, then I wouldn't do any further upgrades until I break/wear out the ones I just bought!!!

Big50

Adventurer
Oh I wasn't bashing on the Raptor at all... I think it's great that they put that stuff in a factory truck. I'm just completely amazed by the guys ordering stuff like RPG Stage 4+ kits that haven't even taken delivery of their vehicle yet! :smiley_drive: If I already spent the extra money on upgraded parts, then I wouldn't do any further upgrades until I break/wear out the ones I just bought!!!

Good point and I share your opinion :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Some Raptor owners have more money than brains. Nothing new here, they exceeded the limits of the truck. If the frame deosn't bend after every other part gets blown through by a way too hard hit, then the truck flips over into a nasty crash. The energy has to go somewhere. Allowing the frame to soak up stupidity and fail, saves lives.
-
Race trucks get damaged alot as well. Deosn't matter what the commercials did. The pro driver in those commercials cleared that without damage. My idiot friends would destroy a Raptor if they encountered the exact same jump.
-
I was a hater of the truck until I drove one. I still hate Fox shocks. Poor customer service and immediatly obsolete and un-rebuildable. I'd love to own a Raptor with some decent aftermarket shocks.

FordGuy1

Adventurer

I do a lot of these mods, and really, the deavers and bumpstops and power steering coolers are a great addition right out of the box. I have found most people who bash the Raptor are people who can't drive worth a crap, or need to be strapped in by someone who can drive and given a little demo, this shuts up most. We have customers that spend 30K and they are not even off the hauler yet. Raptors are a super fun, extremely comfortable truck, and they are a blast. I pre-ran the Silver State in a Raptor and I am still impressed that we could do what we did in a stock vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier