Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grey

Default The Grey

so here goes my first attempt at a Toyota. for the past few months I've been hunting for a toyota rig. i started at an LC80, dropped into a 62 then wound up looking at 100 series' before i finally settled on a V8 4th gen 4runner and then immediately changed my mind to a 5th gen Trail because… its a Trail, i mean come on.

so i sold my jeep and spent a month or two tracking various 4runner trails throughout them interwebz to finally realize that at any given time, there are only ~50 used 4runner Trails for sale in the country, 3/4 of which were overpriced and out of my budget. finally i got a crazy idea up my *** to search craigslist for the whole country and found this little gem in Denver Colorado. one thing led to another and i flew out to get it and drive her home.

so, she's a:

2010 4Runner Trail
    -45,000 miles (almost 47,000 now)
    -stock tires that are GONE
    -synthetic fluids its WHOLE life
    -maintenance records
    -KDSS
    -backup camera
    -weathertech mats
    -3m tinted windows
    -3m invisible bra and skirts

overall it was a steal and a wrote them a check for cash

it'll be a long build, but a build none the less. the goal is to create a vehicle that was more effective at going my JKUR's job than my JKUR was - which was badass daily driver that can haul my ***, my wife and my daughter around while being "quiet", well mannered and spacious.

the long term end goal plans are:
    -Long travel front suspension
    -custom built rear long travel suspension
    -37" tires on hutchinson double headlocks

how i plan on getting there is:
    -3" OME suspension
    -camburg uppers
    -35x12.50R17 Toyo Opencountry MT's

my initial plan was to do the 3" setup and 35's right off the bat. unfortunately due to recent heavy snow in the area - the burnt up stockers are putting me in a safety hazard and i needed tires. last night i ordered a set of 285x75R17E Nitto Terra Grapplers to hold me over for the next 35-40k miles and then get the 35s. they're the largest AT i can find (33.9x11.7x17) it gives me a little wiggle room and lets me get some cash saved to get the 3" OME. plus the E load tire will be a nice reprieve from this floaty caddy P-rated bull**** it comes stock with

so next on the list will be installing a group 34 Odyssey battery in place of the factory panasonic, getting my sPOD unit fitted, doing a Satoshi mod to the grill, mounting my power tank, getting spidertrax spacers and painting the rims gloss black. then while i save my pennies for the OME3" i can also start working on the interior for camping season.

wish me luck
    Last edited by marshal; 01-23-2014 at 01:53 AM.

good looking rig. I love the 5th gen runners. Congrats
    2004 Toyota 4Runner 4.7l v8, Sport Edition 4x4
    2000 Ford F250, v10, 4x4
    2010 Toyota Carolla S (My DD)
    2013 Ford Fusion (Her DD)

Nice. I'm loving that color.
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Medium Maggiolina Grand Tour w/awning
    50qt ARB fridge
    National Luna split charging system
    ABR Sidewinder FJ battery tray
    Bajarack flatrack
    Trasharoo
    Crawlarado flat black hood blackout
    TRD Pro wheels with BFG 285/70/17
    Outback Solutions FJ roof console
    Foxwing Awning

Awesome trail man! Get that thing lifted so we can hit Slade soon!
    07 FJ Cruiser-255/85/16 KM2 w/ anthracite trd wheels, stock sliders, OME lift, custom bumpers

I like that color a lot. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

thanks guys - i really like the color too. i had a silver trail secured that i was going to go get, but the dealer who had it (McCluskey Chevy in Cincinnati Ohio) sold it out from underneath me even after i placed a deposit on it because someone came in and offered a couple thousand more than the deal we had worked out. so those guys are bastards..

i was dead set on getting either a silver or a black one, especially a black one - but this one fell into my lap, and Magnetic Grey is a stunning color (especially when its clean)

my 4wd experience started sitting on my dads lap driving through the fire trails of Michigan in our 1990' Jeep Wrangler Laredo, but really came into its own when my dad and i went on a trip to southern Alaska for 2 weeks when I was 10 years old and bombed around in a black 4runner. i decided it was time to return to the origin.

anyway: i have a bunch of crap for sale here if anyone has any jeep buddies who wants anything (i'll ship on your dime)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/4262928341.html

so hopefully i can get this stuff sold so i can finance the OME suspension and get the ball rolling

Jealous dude!! I have been running my mouth about getting a TE for sooo long. I have been researching the hell out of them for the past year or so, literally every day. I'm hoping around June/July I wil be able to get one. What other mods are you planning on doing? Its funny...Toyota makes this awesome off road ready rig...and then puts on some lame street tires!? Come on!!

Im actually in the same boat as you as far as color....I am dead set on Silver or Black. I also really like the new blue color the 2014's have...too bad the bumpers are hideous.

What site did you use to search all of CL? I've tried a couple different ones but none of them work very well.

Again, congrats on your beautiful purchase. Looking forward to your build!

D

nice looking

Quote Originally Posted by SDDiver5 View Post
    Jealous dude!! I have been running my mouth about getting a TE for sooo long. I have been researching the hell out of them for the past year or so, literally every day. I'm hoping around June/July I wil be able to get one. What other mods are you planning on doing? Its funny...Toyota makes this awesome off road ready rig...and then puts on some lame street tires!? Come on!!

Im actually in the same boat as you as far as color....I am dead set on Silver or Black. I also really like the new blue color the 2014's have...too bad the bumpers are hideous.

What site did you use to search all of CL? I've tried a couple different ones but none of them work very well.

Again, congrats on your beautiful purchase. Looking forward to your build!

D
    i cant remember the specific website i used to search all CL, i googled how to search all of CL and i used the first website that popped up and this Gem in denver popped up. one thing led to another and now were here

end goal is to do 35's, 3" OME, camburg uppers, budbuilt sliders, ASFIR aluminum skids, build a custom rear suspension with metalcloak duroflex joints, Gobi stealth roof rack and outfit the interior to support sleep room for 1 person and my puppy which can be later converted to support more equipment as my daughter gets old enough to come out camping with me.

for now a set of sliders, these 285's and a 3" OME will get me going with how i want to do stuff. going through a career change here shortly so money is kinda topsy turby

I've always used this CL search site...it's from 'MUD. I like its simplicity and lack of trash and banner ads.

http://www.themccumbers.com/states.htm

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast