'11 Suzuki SX4 AWD

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'm at the breakover point with my Subie, though. The number of "little" items that are wearing out after 13+ years is really starting to add up.
I know exactly what you mean. I also own a Volvo 850R and in the last two years I've spent more than twice what the car is worth in maintenance items. I'm also the kind of person who takes the opportunity to upgrade parts when they break, so that becomes even more expensive.
For instance, we hit a raccoon and damaged the rad and Intercooler so I upgraded to a custom aluminum rad and made a custom front-mount Intercooler system. The suspension was getting soft and the rear shock mounts broke so I upgraded to Meyle heavy duty mounts all around and Koni shocks/struts and HD endlinks, strut bearings, and lower control arms. Then for good measure I did the steering rack because it was leaking pretty badly. The list goes on...

Also much like your WRX, it's a turbocharged vehicle so city mileage is horrendous and that's mainly what it's used for. Boost is addictive. I'd love to keep that car forever but with insurance costs (as soon as you say the word "turbo" the rates double), maintenance and fuel mileage, it's just not making sense financially anymore.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Awesome, awesome, just simply awesome build. Congrats!
Thanks! I'm glad it's getting positive comments. I was expecting a lot of the same bashing that the new jeep renegade is getting.

Maybe it's just that a lot of the hardcore solid axle guys don't venture into the "other" category :)

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Meh the Renegade is sweet for what it is. 30mpg = more money for gas, and if all else fails hiking boots and a backpack have gotten me up any trail. Kicking myself actually since my fiance just bought a new to her car/longer trip driver for us (ended up with an 06 ford five hundred limited with 30k miles) and I completely spaced the SX4. Probably would have one if I hadn't completely forgotten about them.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Probably would have one if I hadn't completely forgotten about them.
I think that was also the problem with about a million other people. When Suzuki left the three cars they built were (arguably) the best cars in their segments. Problem is nobody knew about them or they just didn't want to drive to the closest dealership as they were far and few between.

The Kizashi is one of the best sedans I've ever driven. Never have I had so much fun in a car with only 185bhp and a CVT. That shows how good the rest of the car is. The quality, ride, equipment and handling performance is easily comparable to a BMW 5-series for $20k less.

The grand vitara is/was the last REAL small truck in the class. Full-time 4WD, low-range, hill-descent, and pretty much bullet-proof and still gets 26-28mpg highway.

It's too bad that North Americans don't do more research when buying vehicles. My family owns all 3 of the above mentioned Suzuki's. We feel like we own some of the best kept secrets of the automotive world. The last couple years was when Suzuki really shined. They were free of any stupid partnerships with American companies and had the freedom to build the vehicles THEY wanted to the way they wanted to with nobody else pulling the strings.

Suzuki built the last of the affordable cars that were designed to last longer than their warranty periods.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Well stated. I loved my SX4s, but got gunshy about the warranty. I still, however, love my Sidekick. It's got 153,000 miles on it, and has never let me down. Just got back from the Oregon Dunes with it this weekend, and am always surprised at how capable the little thing is. It could use a bit more power in the deep sand, but what couldn't? :D

I'm actually thinking of getting a four door at some point just for a bit more room.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'd love to own one of those someday as a trail rig. Couple cars I always keep an eye out for are a swift gti, samurai and sidekick. They're just so hard to find up here in Canada beacuse none of them lasted very long with our salty winters. Would love to own a swift gti as a dedicated track car/autocrosser and would love either a sammy or sidekick for the trails.

But for now my SX4 gets to play triple duty!

SnowedIn

Observer
Just got one of these myself

Long time lurker, first post;

I just picked up a 2012 SX4 to serve as a little commuter car, road trip vehicle, and fire road/light offroad fun vehicle. We're in the Pacific Northwest so we can see a bit of everything - snow, mud, rocks, and desert.

It replaced a stock Montero Sport with mud tires, so I lost quite a bit off offroad capability. We pushed that truck about as far as it could go and got a good decade out of it.

I had been planning to lift the SX4 with the RRO kit, but was a bit dismayed to suddenly find a bunch of reports about strut threads breaking with the lift kit. We almost always drive solo, so the prospect of having that happen up on a mountain somewhere was not going to fly. I spent a couple of months trying to figure out how to squeeze out a little more ground clearance than just adding larger tires. Eventually I managed to get some part numbers for springs for the European models that I could order via Amazon without costing an arm and a leg for shipping. The non-US models apparently have a higher ride height.

I was a total noob to any suspension work other than easy shock absorber swaps. I got a lot of practice, since I put the strut top bearings back together wrong and had to take them back out and reassemble them. (I'll get some part numbers and links for the springs up when I get home. Took me a few weeks to find something that Amazon would ship and which would fit, digging through cross-references).

The springs seemed to be both stiffer and just a bit (~ 1/2") longer. End result: I gained about an inch and a half in the rear and an inch in the front just in suspension lift, plus the ability to carry a bit more without sagging. The amount of lift is with the thicker front and rear skid plates from Primitive Racing installed, although they honestly don't weight all that much. I then gained a little more with 215/65 R16 Grabber AT2's.

I think the huge front skidplate reduces wind noise quite a bit, and the new AT tires are actually much quieter than the worn out OEM tires I had on before. Ride quality is fairly similar; the tires soak up a lot of bumps, but the stiffer springs still seem to make it corner a bit nicer on the road. The only disconcerting thing is the lateral sidewall flex when hitting potholes on a tight corner, although that's probably made worse by the marginally effective stock rear shocks.

Gas mileage is almost unchanged; not accounting at all for the odometer being off, my average commuting MPG according to the dash display went from 24.7 to 24.4

I hope to get some pics up soon - I still have more mods to do. I'm working on getting a full size spare in the wheel well, getting my tools secured, an additional 12v outlet, and replacing the factory rear rising cargo cover with a fixed cargo shelf. The front interior could also use some more storage nooks for longer trips. Eventually I'm also planning on setting up a roof rack for a gas can and some Maxtrax sand mats.

I'll also put up some measurements from a level surface so anyone with a stock vehicle can compare.

Edit:

Weather isn't cooperating right now, so I don't have measurements. Springs:

ADK888337 REAR COIL SPRING
ADK888335 FRONT COIL SPRING

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B8ZAYTI/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B8WYAVY/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_2

I also forgot to mention another important mod - rodent-proofing. The factory plastic guards to keep critters out of the passenger air intake are not at all sufficient for keeping out small mice. When I replaced the OEM cabin air filter you could see that some mice had tried to nibble on it. After removing the plastic at the base of the windshield I made an aluminum mesh box out of some gutter shield and screwed it into place over the intake. I need to do the engine airbox as well, soon.

Last edited:

mdmead

Adventurer
And Yet Another New Guy to the SX4 Club!

About two weeks ago we drove three hours to meet up with a gentleman who was selling an '09 SX4 with 14,000 miles on it. I'd been searching for the 'right one' for a couple of months. It wasn't the low mileage that was the real draw, but finding one with a manual trans!

We are calling her the 'Copper Toad', as it is copper in color and will be our motorhome dingy in the near future.

While I haven't mentioned it to my wife, the long-term plan is a lift, larger tires, skid plate and maybe a small winch. I'm not looking for a serious off-roader, (I have a classic Bronco for that), but do want to build a small, fuel-efficient vehicle to explore local Forest Service and DNR/WDFW roads.

96Delica

Adventurer
I've always loved these! It's fun to see one that's built up, nice work! I need to know, on the first page, what beach are you driving on?? Wasaga?

SnowedIn

Observer
While I haven't mentioned it to my wife, the long-term plan is a lift, larger tires, skid plate and maybe a small winch. I'm not looking for a serious off-roader, (I have a classic Bronco for that), but do want to build a small, fuel-efficient vehicle to explore local Forest Service and DNR/WDFW roads.

I highly recommend the Primitive Racing skidplates, I'm thrilled with mine and wouldn't want to mess with steel ones. For cost and weight savings I'm most likely going to go with a More Power Puller and some Amsteel winch line instead of a winch, though.

Old Durr Road is one of the places I had in mind when setting up my vehicle. We had the Montero Sport up there around Thanksgiving; we expected some snow flurries, instead got a ton of rain. This was north of the radio towers up past Black Canyon; the mud and ruts were crazy, especially for a single vehicle without a winch. Managed not to get stuck once, though.

This whole area has a ton of great places to explore - I'll likely try taking the SX4 up Cleman Mountain as well. I've seen some stock Subarus up there.

Lucky j

Explorer
Expedition fun!

It's never going to be finished, but the main stuff is done for now. Whenever funds are available I'd love a custom front with a winch mount and a rear bumper with a tire carrier.

Thus far it's been bulletproof. Haven't broken a single thing after all the abuse I've put it through. Mileage is still great even with the 28" AT's, and I haven't even managed to get it majorly stuck yet! It's gotten me everywhere I need to go and then some. I've been really impressed with it so far. Almost 70,000km with zero problems.

Really like the agressive look of it! But I think you need bigger tire on that trailer. Or I would carry a complete spare hub with me on long distance!

Nice work!

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Really like the agressive look of it! But I think you need bigger tire on that trailer. Or I would carry a complete spare hub with me on long distance!

Nice work!
I'm waiting until my current tires wear out and then I'm getting a matching set of 7 wheels and tires for the car and trailer. So both the car and trailer will have 28" tires. At the same time I'm going to upgrade the springs to some non-slipper springs and upgrade the axle for a 1500lb or 2000lb.

mdmead

Adventurer
I highly recommend the Primitive Racing skidplates, I'm thrilled with mine and wouldn't want to mess with steel ones. For cost and weight savings I'm most likely going to go with a More Power Puller and some Amsteel winch line instead of a winch, though.

Old Durr Road is one of the places I had in mind when setting up my vehicle. We had the Montero Sport up there around Thanksgiving; we expected some snow flurries, instead got a ton of rain. This was north of the radio towers up past Black Canyon; the mud and ruts were crazy, especially for a single vehicle without a winch. Managed not to get stuck once, though.

This whole area has a ton of great places to explore - I'll likely try taking the SX4 up Cleman Mountain as well. I've seen some stock Subarus up there.

Wow, it appears you are right in my backyard! Thanks for the info on the skid plate.

First step is getting ours set up to flat tow as we have a trip or two planned for this summer. Looks like this isn't going to be a cheap upgrade!

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I've always loved these! It's fun to see one that's built up, nice work! I need to know, on the first page, what beach are you driving on?? Wasaga?
I don't remember exactly but it very well could have been Wasaga as we stop there quite often on our way up north. I'm not sure what trip that was taken on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke