'11 Suzuki SX4 AWD

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I figured I've been on here long enough, I might as well start my own build page. My story starts off with the age-old question on here - What's a good daily driver vehicle that can still get me WAAAAAAAY into nature? I knew I didn't want a truck or any large vehicle. I wanted something manual, 4x4/AWD, fun to drive, as close to 30mpg HWY as I could get, could handle a RTT on the roof, and wouldn't break the bank. The choice in Canada for that is VERY slim. I basically had a Subaru impreza, Pontiac vibe AWD (yuck), Toyota Matrix AWD (same thing as a vibe), or a couple of small SUV's. I didn't want any compact SUV's because all of them were either horribly boring to drive, no manual, or way too girly of a vehicle. I test drove everything (even some cars that weren't even in the same class) just to get a wide idea of what I like. I still think if I went out and shopped today, I would buy the exact same car. I did a lot of research not only about the vehicles, but also for aftermarket parts to suit my off-road needs a bit better. So I'm pretty sure I made the right choice. Here's what I chose (I'll explain why later):

2011 Suzuki SX4 AWD 6 speed - loaded with everything but seat heaters (because apparently you can't get them with the 6spd manual - yeah, explain that one). Here's some basic info on the vehicle:
-2.0L 4cyl engine with 150bhp/143tq. Relatively low compression so it'll run on ******** gas if need-be.
-AWD with lockable center coupler with full FWD mode, iAWD (90% torque to the front until ABS sensors see wheel slip then send up to 50% to the rear), and full LOCK (essentially locks the electronic center coupler/clutchpack)
-fold flat seats with false floor
-tons of standard equipment that usually isn't found in this class of vehicle

Here are the current list of modifications:

Suspension/wheels/tires
-Rocky Road Outfitters 2.25" lift kit with rear shock relocation brackets
-Wheel spacers - 20mm front, 30mm rear
-Focal X 15x6.5" et38 satin black
-215/75/15 General Grabber AT2
-rear monroe sensetrac shocks

Engine
-Dynotronics ECU remap

Electronics
-8" touchscreen chinese DVD/NAV/BT head unit
-8" MTX powered subwoofer under false floor w/ remote
-Cobra 19DXIV CB
-Firestik 3' NGP fireberglass CB antenna
-added rear 12V outlet in trunk

Exterior
-LED tail lights
-7.5w cree LED reverse lights
-4 Hella 500FF's on custom light bar
-OEM roof crossbars
-OEM snowboard racks
-OEM rear spoiler w/ extension
-20% tinted windows all around
-debadged
-rear bumper top protector
-Curt receiver hitch

I chose this car for a variety of reasons. It's fun to drive, has a really slick AWD system, basically bulletproof in terms of quality, good price/value ratio, and had the right availability of aftermarket parts to make it a little more capable off the beaten path. The car is a tank, so I knew it would take the abuse I would put it through. In stock form it's rated just over 30mpg highway, and it ACTUALLY achieves and beats it's EPA fuel economy ratings (show me another car on the market where the manufacturer was honest about mileage). It's a car that I knew I wouldn't be crying at the pumps every week while I'm using it as a DD (I get 22-24mpg in the city and 28-30mpg on the highway even in it's modified state), can carry my dogs to the dog park with ease, and the most important thing, it's UNIQUE. I hate owning a mainstream vehicle that a million other people.

So onto the good stuff! Here it is when I brought it home with 11km on it (including the trip home)!

Suspension lift went on with less than 10,000km on the odo.

Rear shock relocation brackets installed

Strut spacers installed

Light bar installed (minor trimming of the grill was needed)

After 10,000km I replaced the rear diff fluid to synthetic (was already syrop already) and at 20,000km I replaced all other driveline fluids to synthetic as well.

Stereo installed

Subwoofer tucked away under the false floor

Curt hitch installed

LED reverse light comparison

Primitive racing front and rear skid plates installed

Here she is enjoying the Canadian winters (haven't gotten stuck yet!)

Just some fun trying to get up a parking lot ramp after a VERY bad icestorm

Pretty much the finished product (without the wheel spacers):

LED tails

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Expedition fun!

It's never going to be finished, but the main stuff is done for now. Whenever funds are available I'd love a custom front with a winch mount and a rear bumper with a tire carrier.

Thus far it's been bulletproof. Haven't broken a single thing after all the abuse I've put it through. Mileage is still great even with the 28" AT's, and I haven't even managed to get it majorly stuck yet! It's gotten me everywhere I need to go and then some. I've been really impressed with it so far. Almost 70,000km with zero problems.

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
I kept going, Yes, yes, very nice, yes... Then got hit with the clear lens LED tails. IMHO, only thing that detracts from your vehicle. Then, I'm not really a fan of the stock tails. Probably look better smoked a little.

We need to see more of these built up.

What have you done as far as recovery points?

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I kept going, Yes, yes, very nice, yes... Then got hit with the clear lens LED tails. IMHO, only thing that detracts from your vehicle. Then, I'm not really a fan of the stop tails. Probably look better smoked a little.

We need to see more of these built up.

What have you done as far as recovery points?
Actually they are the smoked version. They do look very clear in those photos for some reason. I've been thinking of taking them apart and completely blacking out the inner housing.

Recovery points are an issue still. I use the front two tie-downs, which are a pain to get to, and the hitch as recovery points. Neither have failed me yet, but obviously not my first choice. Another reason I want proper bumpers.

J

JWP58

Hey do the rear seats on the SX4 fold down? Any chance you could get a pic of the room with them folded? My wife and I are looking for an AWD replacement for her corolla but we need room for two dog carriers and gear.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Hey do the rear seats on the SX4 fold down? Any chance you could get a pic of the room with them folded? My wife and I are looking for an AWD replacement for her corolla but we need room for two dog carriers and gear.

Keep in mind this is a +2010 configuration. On the earlier years they didn't have a folding false floor so you don't get a totally flat floor when the seats are folded. The earlier years also have tumble-forward rear seats, not folding ones. I like the +2010 configuration a lot better.

My 60lb lab/collie fits in the back with the rear seats up no problem.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Never seen one of theses. :D

Looks good as usual; I really liked our SX4s a lot. Neat little vehicles! We'd still have ours if I hadn't gotten paranoid about Suzuki leaving the U.S. ... and had I not lusted for a WRX. :)

- Andy

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Did Suzuki leave Canada as well when the skipped out of the US market?

I like this SX4 a lot...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Looks good as usual; I really liked our SX4s a lot. Neat little vehicles! We'd still have ours if I hadn't gotten paranoid about Suzuki leaving the U.S. ... and had I not lusted for a WRX. :)
I try and make my rounds :)

This car will probably be my DD for many many many years. I'm in it for the long-haul. Regret selling your SX4?

My neighbour has an STi with a 3" turbo back exhaust, so I get my "brub brub brub" fix every day.

J

JWP58

Wow I guess I didn't even realize Suzuki was dead in the U.S.......weird. Replacement parts are still available right?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Yep - I think there were some 2012 model year cars - prices on them used seemed to have dropped a lot too...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
They sold up to 2013's. Warranty is still fully covered, and parts are still very easy to get because the car is still sold everywhere else in the world.

But since prices have dropped so much, I'm pretty much stuck with the car. I don't really care though, I keep my cars until the wheels fall off. And I still got a really good deal on it even 3 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles